Evernight (Darkest London) by Kristen…

Evernight (Darkest London) (edition 2014)

by Kristen Callihan

Member:krau0098
Title:Evernight (Darkest London)
Authors:Kristen Callihan
Info:Forever (2014), Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Already Read, Your library, eBook
Tags:steampunk, Darkest London, paranormal, romance, historical fantasy, fantasy

Evernight by Kristen Callihan

I adore this series! It doesn't cater to any of my favored tropes but I still love the characters. I am SUPER excited for the next installment. ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
Evernight
4 Stars

After being tortured and mutilated by a deranged supernatural, William Thorne is living a nightmare as he slowly loses his grip on reality. The only thing Will does know is his undying hatred for the woman he holds responsible for his condition - Holly Evernight. Held captive by fear, Holly has become a prisoner in her own home, but when Will arrives on her doorstep to fulfill the contract on her life, one touch is all it takes for them both to realize how much they need each other for only Holly can keep Will’s madness at bay and only he can protect her from the assassins on her trail.

Series Note:This is book #5 in the London Steampunk series. While books 1-4 can be read as standalones (although some backstory will be lost), it is recommended that this book be read after book #4 as it is a direct continuation of events in that installment.

Holly is a problematic heroine. On the one hand, her cold facade conceals an emotional vulnerability that makes her sympathetic to the reader. On the other hand, her scientific approach to life results in her coming across as distant and uncaring. Regardless, my biggest issue with her is the despicable manner in which she treats Will, especially after their first sexual encounter, although she does redeem herself in the latter part of the story.

Will is far more likable. In the previous book and the start of this one, he is the epitome of the dark and tortured anti-hero. The details on his back story are interesting and his “all in” attitude toward Holly despite their differences makes him very appealing.

While Will and Holly’s romance is pretty good with some solid chemistry and entertaining banter, the rest of the plot is exceedingly convoluted and confusing. There are a multitude of different antagonists all vying for supremacy. As soon as one is conveniently disposed of, another pops out of the woodwork - its enough to make your head spin.

Callihan also sets the stage for the next couple of installments with the hints at Adam’s story and the introduction of Holly’s cousin St. John.

All in all, despite my issues with this installment, Callihan’s writing is very engaging and with the hints at Adam’s story and the introduction of Holly’s cousin, St. John, she has set the stage for the next books and it looks really good. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I have to take a break from reading these. I prefer if there's story with romance rather than story in service of romance. I just felt somewhat unsatisfied by the end of the story and wanted more.

As usual, this is my opinion, your mileage may vary, everyone experiences stories differently.

Will Thorne's sanity is being drained away by the artificial heart in his chest. He goes to Holly Evernight, the person who put it there, who he blames for his difficulties. Now many people want her dead and she's hiding in her house with her experiments.

To me it felt like the author wrote herself into a corner and then had to use a lot of handwavium and deus (or faerie)ex macina to solve the problems. I was just left wanting more. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 23, 2017 |
Tortured by her memories of being imprisoned and forced to experiment on others, the heroine has become a shut in in her home, terrified to go outside. But one night she gets pissed off with herself and goes out onto her porch to confront the attacker she knows is waiting for her. She incapacitates him once she realizes he's metal and using her powers over metal, she brings him inside to fix him. From the jump she knows him to be her experiment from those dark days and vows to see him right in a bid to help her guilty conscious. The hero has lost control of his sanity thanks to the clockwork heart in his chest and his demon blood that finds the machine. He's lost in a sea of pain and only the heroines touch can make it go away. Though he hates her, he can't deny that she's a lovely creature but cold and emotionless as the metal she controls. In turn for her help, he becomes a body guard and protects her from all her enemies. And there were a lot of enemies in this book. It starts off with the assassins, then moves to Nex agents, then the secret assassins and then the Fae. I was dizzy by the end. The heroine is a cold character at first and thinks only of her machines and her work. She doesn't allow the hero to goat her out of her control no matter how he tries. But as the story goes on, she slowly begins to allow those chains of hers to break. That being said, she was a very smart and witty woman but she absolutely allowed her fears to rule her life. Her fear of leaving the house, her fears of her feelings for the hero and her fears of having a open conversation about what is really happening between them. There were times that she really hurt the hero with her harsh words and cold demeanor. The hero was the complete opposite. He was crude, loud, and passionate. He baited the heroine out of her comfort zone because he saw the secret fire lying beneath but he got himself hurt more often then not on the way to the end. He bonds with her early in the story and spends the entire book trying to get her to believe in him and that he wasn't playing with her. That he truly meant every word he said to her and finally he gets to the point where he can't deny himself anymore and confesses his feelings and begs her to understand. Once the walls came down, the heroine was warm and passionate and I loved how she went to only calling him by his last name to calling him William because it was proof of her love. I loved the banter between the two characters and the cat and mouse game they went through while trying to stop all the bad guys. It was a great read but a stellar author and I can't wait for the next one. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
Review
I've said before that I love this series. The characters, storyline, and setting gets better with each book.

Will Thorne and Holly Evernight have a connection. They each refuse to admit it. Holly is a strong female character. (Pretty much all of Callihan's female characters are.) Her biggest issue is that she doesn't let herself feel anything. She tries to compartmentalize everything into an experiment that she has to figure out. I adore Thorne. Even though he's going mad, he is carefree. He wants to show Holly that life isn't just about what she can prove, but what she can feel.

More paranormal creatures are brought into the story with this book. We also get more glimpses of Adam, creator of the GIM. I still can't figure out what exactly he is, but I hope we find out soon. We also get to meet Queen Mab herself. She's not exactly all warm and cuddly. I pretty much hate her. As we progress in the series I can't wait to see what new species Callihan brings forth.

One of my favorite things about Callihan's books is that we get to peek into the mind of some of the other characters. With each little snippet we become hooked, and hope that the character will have their own story to tell.

I love the relationship that Thorne and Evernight have. They bicker, but also learn that they just might need to rely on each other. They each discover new things about themselves along the way.

I can't wait for the next book, and hope it's not too far off. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 145558164X, Mass Market Paperback)

Once the night comes . . .

Love must cast aside the shadows

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:00 -0400)

Will Thorne is living a nightmare, his sanity slowly being drained away by a force he can't control. His talents have made him the perfect assassin for hire. But as he loses his grip on reality, there is no calming him-until he finds his next target: the mysterious Holly Evernight. Holly cannot fathom who would put a contract on her life, yet the moment she touches Will, the connection between them is elemental, undeniable-and she's the only one who can tame his bouts of madness. But other assassins are coming for Holly. Will must transform from killer to protector and find the man who wants Holly dead . . . or his only chance for redemption will be lost.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,998,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible