World of Trouble: The Last Policeman Book…

World of Trouble: The Last Policeman Book III (Last Policeman Trilogy 3) (edition 2014)

by Ben H. Winters (Author)

Member:GavinSteyn
Title:World of Trouble: The Last Policeman Book III (Last Policeman Trilogy 3)
Authors:Ben H. Winters (Author)
Info:Quirk Books (2014), 322 pages
Collections:Science fiction

World of Trouble by Ben H Winters

The impending impact of the asteroid Maia has humanity in a downward spiral in this third book of the Last Policeman trilogy. Former police detective Hank Palace chooses to spend the last two weeks before impact searching for his sister. There's no central mystery setting up the story this time, just one man trying to find and spend what are likely humanity's final days with his only family. Even more than in the previous two books, the desperation of the people he encounters is a prime focus of the book, and the ones who have chosen a more graceful way to spend their remaining days.

But a mystery presents itself, one final crime that Hank is determined to solve before impact. Winters shows an impressive understanding of psychology, presenting what feels like a realistic look at what could happen should a giant asteroid be on a collision course with Earth. I'd love to see a follow-up, but maybe it's best to leave that to our imaginations. ( )
  ShellyS | Mar 21, 2019 |
I love this series, I really do. ( )
  walnutbrowniebrain | May 22, 2018 |
I loved this series. One of the best end of the world stories from beginning to end. A great blending of science fiction and mystery. Be warned though. This is a realistic story. If you are looking for happiness and survival you have come to the wrong location. It is a sad and complicated story. You will not leave filled with pep. You will leave after an incredible journey and beautiful writing. This is the apocalypse done right. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
I really enjoyed the last book. The whole series was excellent but I found the books got better as they progressed with the first book being a little hard to get into.
  ChelleBearss | Mar 10, 2018 |
The final book in the three covering the last six months of Henry "Hank" Palace's life before the giant asteroid hits Earth. Hank is settled in a good situation, a big group house, all former cops, in the Berkshire area living with Trish McConnell from his own Concord NH force, but he can't rest easy. Nico, his beloved and mercurial sister, who he has promised to take care of, has disappeared out west somewhere intent on some cockamamie plan to save the world. He must go after her. And so he goes, with his little dog and with Cortez, one of the more colorful characters, whom he encountered in the second book. So this book gets the reader out of New England and traveling to far Ohio (by bicycle, remember) as the last days wind down. They find where Nico is supposed to be, but then they find an almost dead girl, not Nico, and clues that convince Hank that Nico had been there recently. There is a desperate determination in this one, Hank is driven to find her, driven by his compulsion to Know, and it keeps him busy and sane, just barely, saner than most people. Don't read this looking for a happy ending, but Hank has lived a very full life in the six months we've known him; he has no regrets, other than the fact of the asteroid, so neither should we, whatever happens. ***** ( )
1 vote sibyx | Nov 11, 2017 |
"And I won't let go and I can't let go
I won't let go and I can't let go
I won't let go and I can't let go no more"
--Bob Dylan, "Solid Rock"
For Diana

"...I'm gonna love you
till the wheels come off
oh, oh yeah..."
Are you here about the dust?
Nothing we ever did mattered, one way or another. This event has always been in the cards for man's planet, for the whole scope of our history, coming regardless of what we did or didn't do.
Almost always, things are exactly as they appear. People are continually looking at the painful or boring parts of life with the half-hidden expectation that there is more going on beneath the surface, some saving grace or deeper meaning that will eventually be unveiled; we're waiting for the shocking reveal, the sudden twist of fate. But almost always things just are what they are, almost always there's no glittering ore hidden under the dirt.
...and I go on, explain the way I prefer to look at things: how it's tempting to place events in a pattern, name certain events as the causes of certain subsequent events--but then when you think again you realize that this is just the way that life happened to happen--like constellations, like you blink once and it's a warrior or a bear, blink again and it's a scattered handful of stars.

"With the doomsday asteroid looming, Detective Hank Palace has found sanctuary in the woods of New England, secure in a well-stocked safe house with other onetime members of the Concord police force. But with time ticking away before the asteroid makes landfall, Hank's safety is only relative, and his only relative--his sister Nico--isn't safe. Soon, it's clear that there's more than one earth-shattering revelation on the horizon, and it's up to Hank to solve the puzzle before time runs out . . . for everyone" --… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ben H. Winters's book World of Trouble: The Last Policeman Book 3 was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,206,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible