The Enchanted Wanderer by Nikolai Leskow

The Enchanted Wanderer

by Nikolai Leskow

English (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All (4)
No surprise that this is a popular Russian classic. The life of Ivan Severyanych told by himself as the raconteur to a fellow group of travellers. The romanticised, if harsh, life of a Russian peasant. Devout, long suffering, loyal, uneducated but intelligent, hard drinking, hard fighting, uncomplaining, in tune with nature and the soul of Russia. Everything that the Imperial Russian intelligentsia wanted from their peasants. A good story and Dickens-like in its revelations of nineteenth century life. ( )
  Steve38 | Feb 8, 2014 |
This month I received two books of Russian literature and decided to start with this one as compared to the other novellas I've been reading it is a veritable tome at 210 pages. Which I guess is appropriate for a novella of Russian Lit when you think of the average length of a Russian novel. LOL I haven't read any classic Russian works unless you count Doctor Zhivago and modern 20th century authors, but I have read many short stories such as Tolstoy and Chekhov. This was an entirely new piece to me. I found myself likening it to Don Quixote with the man's outlandish experiences as he wanders across his countryside, perhaps mad, perhaps making it up, perhaps telling the truth. On the other hand I would liken it in a way to the tale of Job. A man who must suffer the tribulations given to him by God. Ivan kills a monk and the monk's spirit comes back and tells him that his life will be full of hardships leading up to near-death experiences but he will not ever die no matter how bad things get and this will continue his whole life until he accepts his destiny to answer the call of God and become a monk himself. The book follows Ivan's life from young adulthood to old age as he goes from one escapade to another sometimes he merely suffers a beating other times he survives circumstances that should have been the death of anyone else. As I read the book I couldn't decide whether I liked it or not; it was an on again off again affair with me. There were parts that I found dragged. The sheer amount of events that happen in this short book is enormous giving it a very fast pace which leaves one forgetting what happened previously. But at other times I was caught up in Ivan's story and whether he was exaggerating or telling the truth I didn't really care; the tales had a captivating fairy tale quality to them I truly enjoyed while the writing flowed beautifully. An enjoyable read that has whetted my appetite for more Russian works and I look forward to the next book this month. ( )
  ElizaJane | Mar 24, 2013 |

Nikolai Leskowprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eekman, TomTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wijk, N. vanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zatskoy, WladimirTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Do not combine books called The Enchanted Wanderer without careful checking; there are four separate collections under that title, plus the 1924 A.G. Paschkoff translation of the story by itself, published as a separate book.

"But you know how it is: when the devil calls you follow." The Enchanted Wanderer is a Russian Candide with a revolutionary edge, a picaresque that features a fast-talking monk named Ivan who is at war, it seems, with every level of society. Working as a carriage man for a Count, Ivan accidentally causes the death of a monk, which leads to his being ostracized by the local peasantry...until the dead monk returns as a ghost to guide him through trouble upon trouble.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,429,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible