Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Innocent Blood by P. D. James

Innocent Blood (1980)

by P. D. James

Another great book by PD James; she writes about life more than about crime! Highly recommended. ( )
  JosephKing6602 | Feb 20, 2019 |
Excerpts from my original GR review (May 2009):
- My first PD James. I had heard she is more literary than most in this genre, and I can agree. Engaging story of lost and found identity. Not at all a police procedural. Contrivances? Yes. Inconsistencies? Some. A well-crafted story though. I'll reserve any judgement until I read another by James. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Mar 25, 2018 |
Philippa Palfrey has just turned 18 and is eager to learn about her past life. But then she learns that she is the daughter of a rapist and a muderer. At the same time, the father of the daughter that her mother killed wants revenge. This is the start of slow, drawn-out tale that could only end in death and disappointment. On the way we are treated to the daily grind and struggle of life in London in the 1970s. At times, I could forget that a murder had occurred as I followed Philippa and her mother. But then there was the torturous search by the man intent on revenge - a man who couldn’t forget. How could it end? The twist at the end was surprising, but I also felt that it was too neat. In my opinion, the writing is excellent, as it should be for a successful crime writer, but I thought that the ending resulted in a less than perfect story. I gave it 4 stars out of 5. ( )
  Bruce_McNair | Dec 27, 2017 |
Not the mystery that one might expect from P D James. An interesting character study and a wonderfully twisty plot. I really enjoyed this audiobook. Terrific narrator. ( )
  njcur | Sep 26, 2017 |
Story ok, but Tediously long winded ( )
  keithgordonvernon | Aug 19, 2017 |

P. D. Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Oddera, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The social worker was older than she had expected; perhaps the nameless official who arranged these matters thought that graying hair and menopausal plumpness might induce confidence in the adopted adults who came for their compulsory counseling.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743219635, Paperback)

Adopted as a child into a privileged family, Philippa Palfrey fantasizes that she is the daughter of an aristocrat and a parlor maid. The terrifying truth about her parents and a long-ago murder is only the first in a series of shocking betrayals. Philippa quickly learns that those who delve into the secrets of the past must be on guard when long-buried horrors begin to stir.

"As a crime novel," wrote the London Times, Innocent Blood is "the peak of the art." "Flawlessly crafted...profoundly, masterfully moving," Cosmopolitan concurred.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:33 -0400)

Philippa Palfrey's fantasy about her past is shattered when her adoptive family reveals the truth about her parents and their connection to a long-ago murder.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,489,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible