Innocent Blood by P. D. James

Innocent Blood (original 1980; edition 2001)

by P. D. James

Member:TheFlamingoReads
Title:Innocent Blood
Authors:P. D. James
Info:Touchstone (2001), Edition: 1st Scribner Paperback Fiction, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Mystery, Favorite Author

Innocent Blood by P. D. James (1980)

The late Baroness for once dispensing with the usual apparatus of the detective story and taking her time to explore the repercussions of a terrible crime on the lives of the people involved, many years later. Interesting, and there are some very nice bits of description and character analysis, but the pacing didn't feel quite right (dawdling unconscionably in some spots, then rushing through implausible transitions elsewhere). I also got the impression that James had changed her mind at some point about which decade we were supposed to be in: the London street where a lot of the action in the "present day" (i.e. late 1970s) story is supposed to be set often sounds much more like something out of the immediate post-War period, twenty years earlier.

I haven't looked it up, but my guess would be that James must have had this lying in a drawer unfinished for a long time, and only reworked it for publication when her detective stories started to become a success. ( )
  thorold | May 7, 2015 |
Story ok, but Tediously long winded ( )
  keithgordonvernon | Apr 1, 2015 |
Reread. Psychological mystery about a young woman, adopted, who traces her parents and finds that they murdered a child. Her mother is about to released from prison and she suggests they rent an apartment together for the months before she goes to Cambridge. There is more going on that she doesn’t know.

This is a great, suspenseful thriller but I have to say that the emotions of many of the characters are really weird and don't make a lot of sense. The ending, emotion-wise, was a mess that strained credulity, and I'm not talking about the sex. I didn't notice this the first time I read it. Because of this I gave it 3 stars, down from 5 midway through.

Oh yeah there is a carefully knitted, meaningfully given sweater that is destroyed in a fit of anger which bothered me more than the child murder. ( )
  piemouth | Oct 27, 2014 |
Very tedious read. None of the characters were particularly likable. Not really a mystery per se. Just not a very engaging read. I'd much prefer going back to Adam Dagleish. ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 13, 2014 |
Philippa takes advantage of her right to find her birth parents the minute she turns 18. The story she has been told her whole life about her mother being a maid in a great manor house and her father being a gentleman is found to be completely untrue. The horrifying truth sets her on a collision course with human nature and sets her up to learn more about life in one summer than she has learned in 18 years. PD James’ descriptions are so masterful that I can see and hear and feel the settings of her books, which is one of the things I like about her writing. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |

P. D. Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oddera, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The social worker was older than she had expected; perhaps the nameless official who arranged these matters thought that graying hair and menopausal plumpness might induce confidence in the adopted adults who came for their compulsory counseling.
Oorspronkelijke titel: Innocent blood.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743219635, Paperback)

Adopted as a child into a privileged family, Philippa Palfrey fantasizes that she is the daughter of an aristocrat and a parlor maid. The terrifying truth about her parents and a long-ago murder is only the first in a series of shocking betrayals. Philippa quickly learns that those who delve into the secrets of the past must be on guard when long-buried horrors begin to stir.

"As a crime novel," wrote the London Times, Innocent Blood is "the peak of the art." "Flawlessly crafted...profoundly, masterfully moving," Cosmopolitan concurred.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:33 -0400)

Philippa, an adopted child, applies for a copy of her birth certificate when she is 18. She discovers soon afterward that her mother is about to be released from prison.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,417,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible