Innocent Blood by P. D. James

Innocent Blood (original 1980; edition 2001)

by P. D. James

Adopted as a child into a privileged family, Philippa Palfrey fantasizes that she is the daughter of an aristocrat and a parlor maid. The terrifying truth about her parents and a long-ago murder is only the first in a series of shocking betrayals. Philippa quickly learns that those who delve into the secrets of the past must be on guard when long-buried horrors begin to stir.… (more)
Member:benfulton
Title:Innocent Blood
Authors:P. D. James
Info:Touchstone (2001), Edition: 1st Scribner Paperback Fiction, Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***

Innocent Blood by P. D. James (1980)

Recently added byMikalina, navygirl29, Mbook123, TangledPages, Badgargoyle, private library, RBME, nzqg7x
Legacy LibrariesNewton 'Bud' Flounders

This is a long a detailed book, but I still read it in two days. James steps out of her police and detective series constraints here for a stand-alone story, not really a mystery, but more an elaborate journey toward a resolution for characters who started out unlikable, but grew on me as the story progressed. Crimes, legal and otherwise, direct this book, from bad marriages, betrayals, an adoption with odd motive into a dysfunctional family, to horrific historical crimes, acts of revenge and reunion. Phillipa Palfrey finds a mother, loses a family, begins to develop a feeling for other people as she attempts to find out who she really is. Excellent. ( )
  ffortsa | Aug 17, 2019 |
I like her straight mysteries well enough, but this is a psychological suspense novel in the manner of Barbara Vine (Ruth Rendell) which means I like it a lot. ( )
  Crypto-Willobie | Jun 30, 2019 |
Another great book by PD James; she writes about life more than about crime! Highly recommended. ( )
  JosephKing6602 | Feb 20, 2019 |
Excerpts from my original GR review (May 2009):
- My first PD James. I had heard she is more literary than most in this genre, and I can agree. Engaging story of lost and found identity. Not at all a police procedural. Contrivances? Yes. Inconsistencies? Some. A well-crafted story though. I'll reserve any judgement until I read another by James. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Mar 25, 2018 |
Philippa Palfrey has just turned 18 and is eager to learn about her past life. But then she learns that she is the daughter of a rapist and a muderer. At the same time, the father of the daughter that her mother killed wants revenge. This is the start of slow, drawn-out tale that could only end in death and disappointment. On the way we are treated to the daily grind and struggle of life in London in the 1970s. At times, I could forget that a murder had occurred as I followed Philippa and her mother. But then there was the torturous search by the man intent on revenge - a man who couldn’t forget. How could it end? The twist at the end was surprising, but I also felt that it was too neat. In my opinion, the writing is excellent, as it should be for a successful crime writer, but I thought that the ending resulted in a less than perfect story. I gave it 4 stars out of 5. ( )
  Bruce_McNair | Dec 27, 2017 |

P. D. Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Oddera, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The social worker was older than she had expected; perhaps the nameless official who arranged these matters thought that graying hair and menopausal plumpness might induce confidence in the adopted adults who came for their compulsory counseling.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,772,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible