Desecration (London Psychic) by J. F. Penn

Desecration (London Psychic) (edition 2017)

by J. F. Penn (Author)

Member:KatiaMDavis
Title:Desecration (London Psychic)
Authors:J. F. Penn (Author)
Info:Curl Up Press (2017), Edition: Ingram ed., 264 pages
Rating:*****

Desecration (Jamie Brooke #1) by J. F. Penn

English (3)  Italian (1)  All languages (4)
I think JF Penn has really found her stride with this series. A definite page turner, great description made the setting and scenarios come to life. I could hear and feel the squelching of preserved fleshy specimens during the final scenes. Glad to know I am not the only one who finds plastination fascinating. I tried to talk about it at a family dinner a few weeks ago before I bought this book and received horrified looks, especially when I got Google up on my phone.

I would recommend this book to those who like the dark side of thrillers, or a touch of horror with their crime. I will read more of this series. ( )
  KatiaMDavis | Dec 19, 2017 |
This book contains triggers.
Not much in this book that doesn't ring as true possible reality. Ask most nurses. Or cops. Whether it is the suffering of a parent facing a child's inevitable prolonged death, or the things that people do to their own bodies, or the questionable things that some categorize as art. Is the insanity of the villain any worse than that of Dahmer? Are the delusions of pharmaceutical and genetic engineering companies any less true in reality than in this work of fiction ? I have viewed the Plastination exhibits, and they have extensive documentation of permission from the individuals and/or their families to use the bodies in question. And any empathetic person can relate to the PTSD of the historian burdened with psychometry as well as a personal history of parental religious abuse. The publisher's summary will give the hints needed regarding the plot, and no spoilers desired. The plot moves along well, and the imagery is too good. Excellent character development.
This book was a gift.
Rosalind is a great choice for narrator and gives an excellent performance and adds much to the value of this novel. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Aug 27, 2015 |
ABR's full Desecration audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

First thoughts of the cover of Desecration by J.F. Penn? That woman has a gun, that’s a graveyard, and that’s an angel statue on a grave…this cannot go well for somebody.

The main character is a detective in London named Jamie. She has a young daughter named Polly that is dying of Type two Motor Neuron Disease. This causes Jamie to be more risky with both her life and profession. In a way she’s trying to punish herself for her daughter slowly dying horribly. It’s heartbreaking.

The Narrator is Rosalind Ashford. Her accent is lovely. It will tend to relax you. In my case, a bit to much. I had to keep backtracking because of this. The author is J.F. Penn. This book is seven hours and fifty-seven minutes long.

For the first 2/3 of this book it was a quirky detective novel. The last 1/3 it went off the rails. That last one third of it being loco is actually a good thing. It helped spice up the book to keep me better interested in the story.

The book centers around Detective Jamie trying to find the killer for a socialite that shuns her family and what they stand for. It brings into light some odd factors of corpses being turned into art pieces, body modifications such as tattoos and piercing, missing corpses, and mysterious group called the Lyceum. I would recommend this to be an eighteen and up book because of some very violent bloody scenes.

This book left me wondering about how hinged people are normally. Can people walk around wearing a mask of normalcy and be crazy enough to believe that it is necessary to murder people for science or the ‘greater good’? Are there enough crazy people to follow someone into those delusions and commit crimes for them and with them? Is this the bases for the reasonings of why random cults pop up? I do not know, but I hope not.

Audiobook provided for review by the author. ( )
  audiobibliophile | May 5, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,350,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible