Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

By Ann Cleeves Harbour Street [Paperback]

By Ann Cleeves Harbour Street [Paperback] (edition 2014)

Member:karenkidd
Title:By Ann Cleeves Harbour Street [Paperback]
Authors:
Info:Pan (2014)
Collections:Book depository
Tags:CLEEVES Ann (Author), STANHOPE Vera - No. 6

Harbour Street by Ann Cleeves

Detective Joe Ashworth is on his way home after picking up his daughter when, due to excessive snowfall, the Metro they are on stops suddenly at Mardle, outside of Newcastle. They are asked to leave and catch a bus, but Jess is worried when she sees an elderly woman who has fallen asleep. She goes back to wake her up. It looks like she has been stabbed, despite being surrounded by the passengers, as well as Joe. After sending Jess home, he waits for Vera to arrive. They discover the victim was living and working at a small hotel in Harbour Street.

Vera and Joe are puzzled as to why the woman, identified as Margaret Krukowski, has been killed. She was a quiet but elegant woman who appears to have fallen on hard times. She was a volunteer at a local shelter that helped disadvantaged women. When another woman is found murdered, it becomes obvious to Vera and Joe that there are secrets in Harbour Street that no one wants revealed.

I really enjoyed this story. I think Ann Cleeves always gives the reader a great story populated by characters who are all totally believable, including the minor characters. She did an exceptional job of creating an atmospheric feel for the seaside town in winter. The plot is fast moving with plenty of suspects to choose from. This is a good story that can be read by both fans and new readers of the series.
1 vote Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
I've found a new author whose books I enjoy. Vera Stanhope is a great. detective. She's not gorgeous, leggy, brilliant and quick on the draw. Instead she is down to earth, insecure and plods along till she finds the answer. I will read more from this author. ( )
  scot2 | Jun 29, 2017 |
This entry in the series has excellent atmosphere, but it may be a little long and a little depressive. All the characters are sad, or dull, or both. And I thought the author threw in too many improbable red herrings for the detectives to follow, until, boom, out of the blue, at the very end, they focus on the hitherto-unsuspected killer. But it's well-written, and the pages do turn. It's a solid series that I very much enjoy, even if this may not be the very best. ( )
  Laura400 | Jun 4, 2017 |
Book Description
Harbour Street is the next spellbinding installment in Ann Cleeves' series of crime novels about Vera Stanhope, played in the TV detective drama VERA by Brenda Blethyn.

As the snow falls thickly on Newcastle, the shouts and laughter of Christmas revelers break the muffled silence. Detective Joe Ashworth and his daughter Jessie are swept along in the jostling crowd onto the Metro.

But when the train is stopped due to the bad weather, and the other passengers fade into the swirling snow, Jessie notices that one lady hasn't left the train: Margaret Krukowski has been fatally stabbed.

Arriving at the scene, DI Vera Stanhope is relieved to have an excuse to escape the holiday festivities. As she stands on the silent, snow-covered station platform, Vera feels a familiar buzz of anticipation, sensing that this will be a complex and unusual case.

Then, just days later, a second woman is murdered. Vera knows that to find the key to this new killing she needs to understand what had been troubling Margaret so deeply before she died - before another life is lost. She can feel in her bones that there's a link. Retracing Margaret's final steps, Vera finds herself searching deep into the hidden past of this seemingly innocent neighborhood, led by clues that keep revolving around one street...

Why are the residents of Harbour Street so reluctant to speak?

Told with piercing prose and a forensic eye, Ann Cleeves' gripping new novel explores what happens when a community closes ranks to protect their own-and at what point silent witnesses become complicit.

My Review
Ann Cleeves is an excellent writer who keeps her clues very close to the vest. Her characters are very well-developed and her plots are quite entertaining with plenty of twists and turns. I enjoyed the fact that Vera Stanhope delegated responsibilities to her crew more than in the earlier books in the series. The storyline kept me engaged and guessing until the very last pages. I now look forward to reading the next book in the series, The Moth Catcher, and highly recommend this series to those who love mystery novels. ( )
  EadieB | Nov 7, 2016 |
This was definitely one of the best books in this series so far. Vera is an interesting character, although I sometimes feel her feeling sorry for herself does grate on me, I also wished she would communicate more to us as readers what she is thinking. This is the only thing that stops this from being a five star read. This book had a very intriguing plot with a double murder that you kept trying to work out as to whether the murder was linked to events in the past or to current day events. Very intriguing overall and it was good to see Vera give her colleagues more to do rather than doing it all herself. Ann Cleeves is one of my favourite authors and I would strongly recommend this series to others. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Nov 7, 2016 |
To Oliver Clarke and Arthur Raynor
Joe pushed through the crowd.

"The shouts and laughter of Christmas revelers break the muffled silence as Detective Joe Ashworth and his daughter Jessie are swept along onto the Metro. But when the train is stopped due to the bad weather, Jessie notices that one lady hasn't left the train: Margaret Krukowski has been fatally stabbed. Why would anyone want to harm this reserved, elegant lady? Arriving at the scene, DI Vera Stanhope is relieved to have an excuse to escape the holiday festivities. Soon Vera and Joe are on their way to where Margaret lived to begin their inquiry. Then, just days later, a second woman is murdered. Vera finds herself searching deep into the hidden past led by clues that keep revolving around one street.Why are the residents of Harbour Street so reluctant to speak?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible