This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki

This One Summer

by Mariko Tamaki, Jillian Tamaki (Illustrator)

Other authors: Rob Steen (Designer), Colleen AF Venable (Designer)

Long Red Hair by Meags Fitzgerald (Anonymous user)

English (99)  Spanish (1)  All languages (100)
An odd little fish of a book. Pitched as a YA graphic novel, but with plenty of swearing and some adult-ish shenanigans. Nothing is ever really resolved, but that may kinda be the point as Summer vacations exist in a kind of unreal bubble and the intensity of young adult responses to the messed-up grown-ups that surround them sometimes seem more important than they ever turn out to be. I'm not quite sure if I got the measure of this. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Well-illustrated comic about a teenage girl who finds her regular summer beach holiday town awash with sexual tension and adult concerns. ( )
  questbird | Mar 10, 2019 |
I picked this up from the library yesterday afternoon and, in an hour of total bookish bliss, completely finished it last night.

This One Summer is a gorgeous story about growing up. It's about the special places that hold our best memories, and how they change as we get older. About learning to deal with emotions that feel foreign and scary. It's even about facing the stereotypes that young girls are bombarded with the minute that they're old enough to understand them. This graphic novel is full of heart, and I happily lost myself in it from beginning to end.

First off, let me gush about the illustrations. I thought they were just perfect for the story they represented. Rose and her friend Windy start out depicted as beautifully carefree. The reader follows them as they race across the sand, spend hours floating in the ocean, and visit the corner store for ice cream on a hot day. The epitome of a childhood dream vacation. Slowly, as Rose's story takes us into her new reality as a budding teenager, things in the panels start to look a little bit more gritty. A little messier. It's a slight change, but it makes all the difference when you're immersed in the story.

I think that's what I was most impressed about reading this graphic novel. It isn't afraid to touch on the things that are a little darker in life. Rose's childhood memories of her favorite summer home are still there, lurking in the periphery. It's just that they aren't quite the same as they were before. She sees the things hiding underneath now. That her mom is just a little too quiet. That her dad had to mysteriously go into town for a few days. That her summer best friend isn't quite the same as she used to be.

There is so much hiding in This One Summer. I wish I could better express to you the layers that this story holds, but it'd be too easy to accidentally spoil the journey for you. Suffice it to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this graphic novel, and I'd happily have read more. I'm a fan of stories about the journey of growing up and finding yourself. This one was a marvelous ride.
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
The art is beautiful and the story brings back weird childhood summer memories. Overall it was a great read, but leaves a lot left in the open by the end. ( )
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |
Another for-class read. I really enjoyed this. Th4 pacing is great and the story kept me intrigued. It's very "slice of life". It reminded me a little of Blankets with that nostalgic feeling. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |

Hohl, TinaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soubiran, FannyTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Julia K. & Abi S.
Okay.

Jeden Sommer verbringt Rose mit ihren Eltern die Ferien im selben Haus am See. Dort trifft sie ihre Sommerfreundin Windy. Sie ist für Rose die kleine Schwester, die sie nie hatte. Doch in diesem Sommer ist alles anders. Roses Eltern hören nicht auf, sich zu streiten, und auch zwischen Rose und Windy hat sich etwas verändert. Rose kann den kindlichen Spielen von früher nicht mehr viel abgewinnen, vielmehr beobachtet sie fasziniert und verstört zugleich die älteren Teenager, die schon erste sexuelle Erfahrungen machen.

Eine flirrend leichte Sommergeschichte über die Zeit zwischen der Kindheit und dem Erwachsenwerden – voller Geheimnisse, Sorgen und Erwartungen. (Verlagstext)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159643774X, Paperback)

Every summer, Rose goes with her mom and dad to a lake house in Awago Beach. It's their getaway, their refuge. Rosie's friend Windy is always there, too, like the little sister she never had. But this summer is different. Rose's mom and dad won't stop fighting, and when Rose and Windy seek a distraction from the drama, they find themselves with a whole new set of problems. One of the local teens - just a couple of years older than Rose and Windy - is caught up in something bad... Something life threatening.

It's a summer of secrets, and sorrow, and growing up, and it's a good thing Rose and Windy have each other.

This One Summer is a tremendously exciting new teen graphic novel from two creators with true literary clout. Cousins Mariko and Jillian Tamaki, the team behind Skim, have collaborated on this gorgeous, heartbreaking, and ultimately hopeful story about a girl on the cusp of childhood - a story of renewal and revelation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:44 -0400)

Rose and her parents have been going to Awago Beach since she was a little girl. It's her summer getaway, her refuge. Her friend Windy is always there, too, like the little sister she never had, completing her summer family. But this summer is different. Rose's mom and dad won't stop fighting, and Rose and Windy have gotten tangled up in a tragedy-in-the-making in the small town of Awago Beach. It's a summer of secrets and heartache, and it's a good thing Rose and Windy have each other.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,895,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible