Robogenesis: A Novel by Daniel H. Wilson

Robogenesis: A Novel

by Daniel H. Wilson

A sequel to the best-selling Robopocalypse is told through a series of narratives that finds new and former characters fighting to rebuild a war-stricken world under threat of the surviving Archos machine code.

Superb story about war, humans and robots, captivating and smart. Although second in a series can be read stand-alone as well. Creates an epic flow of events, captured through the eyes and minds of several characters. The switch from one character to another is seeming-less and rejoining the narrative threads comes natural. Combines a lot of existing ideas (enhanced humans, super artificial intelligence, zombie like machines) into a consistent book. A bit gory occasionally (but it is a war book as well), but it does not insist on this part. Story is about the events after a big war between robots and humans in which humans seem to have won. Still it turns out there are several other artificial intelligence entities that have their own interest. The characters are diverse: human transformed robot, independent android robot, enhanced human girl and her brother, human fighter and his pregnant companion. Their journey is adventurous and the end is uncertain. ( )
  vladmihaisima | Jun 14, 2019 |
I'd been meaning to read this sequel to Robopocalypse for so long, but then once I finally started it, I almost gave up early on. This story is just so bleak and dark, even more so than the first volume. And it's not even the end of the story? This second volume came out at least four years ago, but the third piece is still not published. I'm feeling a little salty over here.

But I'm salty because I'm invested. In several of these characters and in some of these ideas. If I don't get to see how this all pans out -- which AI gets the upper hand and what that means for humanity, what kind of world Cherrah and her baby will live in, what role Matilda and her network will have... As much interest as I have in a final showdown between the AIs, I want to know how humans will find a way to move forward in actual peace (crosses fingers), now that there is such a variety of human/AI/robotic hybrids.

(And yes, I know, Wilson doesn't owe me anything as an author, but he's indicated that he wants to write this next piece, I hope he has the time/space/publisher support to make it happen.) ( )
  greeniezona | Jun 10, 2019 |
It's one of those sequels where all traces of the upbeat ending are obliterated by the third sentence, and the irritation is greatly increased by having the main villain blabbing the intro to each chapter. Once again the story picks up and hooks you, and there's some really clever twiists and turns and strong characters--but there are one too many bad guys floating around, and by the end of the book it's hard to tell which is which. That said, I definitely want to read the third book if there is one. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Jan 30, 2019 |
I liked the first book in this series enough to go out and buy the second immediately after finishing the first and dive right into it. And guess what? The robot uprising wasn't completely quelled in the first book. There's more!

It's a good story and a pretty good sequel Wilson embedded some elements in the first book that led directly to the second, and built upon things in the first that I didn't think of. I think it's obvious that when he finished the first book, he already had plans for a sequel. (Now I'm curious if he intends to write a third.)

But beyond that, I liked how he improved (in his writing) from the first book to the second. Little things like how he shifts between different character's points of view from chapter to chapter (which he does in both books) he does better in the second. And I think the second one had a better build of the overall tension which made the resolution at the end feel more earned than the first one. Not to knock the first book, but I was impressed that this writer learned and improved. ( )
  invisiblelizard | Feb 3, 2017 |
A homicidal AI and a genocidal AI play a game of world domination using humans as pawns. That's about all there is to this. It's pretty much an 'action-packed' video game in book form. The details pass unbelievable on the way to absurd. The one that bugs me the most is the inexhaustible batteries. I'm sorry, but calling them 'superbatteries' or 'Rob batteries' does not exempt them from the second law of thermodynamics. You can get away with this in fantasy (albeit bad fantasy) by calling it 'magic', but you need better techno-babble for science fiction. The one redeeming aspect of the series is that it presents a view of Life that is not restricted to the biological. Life, in these books, can be embodied in meat or metal, or a synthesis of the two. This isn't a new idea, but it's an interesting one. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,863,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible