Never Ending by Martyn Bedford

Never Ending

by Martyn Bedford

Death. NEVER ENDING is about death and life, guilt and the choices people make. It's about how microscopic missteps can lead to catastrophes that carry people beyond their abilities to cope.

Martyn Beford uses two timelines to move us through this story. Shiv's (Siobhan's) first narrative is of the torturous journey through therapy. This is intertwined with the tale of her family's sun kissed vacation in Greece. The first time line made her tragedy very real to me. The second kept me chained to the book so that I read it all in one day. I was so curious about exactly what happened in Greece to Declan, her beloved 12 year old brother. Did it have something to do with the boy she was flirting with, or not.

I was also curious about the other participants: Mickey, Caron, Helen, Lucy and Dorchester. Each had lost someone dear to them. And each held themselves responsible. (And sometimes they were.)

~
Somehow it seems wrong to say that I enjoyed reading this book about other people's suffering. But I did.

NEVER ENDING is a fast paced novel. Part drama, part mystery. There's humor and some good writing. The ending flowed naturally from the narrative but it was almost anticlimactic after all the characters had been through.

Definitely recommend this one if you're looking for a smart drama.

--review copy ( )
  PamFamilyLibrary | Jun 10, 2014 |

Shiv's best mate, her brother Declan, is dead. It's been all over the news. Consumed by grief and guilt, she agrees to become an inpatient at the Korsakoff Clinic. There she meets Mikey. Caron. The others. They share a similar torment. And there, subjected to the clinic's unconventional therapy, they must face what they can't bear to see.
   Shiv is flooded with flashbacks, nightmares, haunting visions of Declan on their last, fateful family vacation in Greece. And with memories of Nikos, the beautiful young man on the tour boat. It started there, with him, beside the glittering sea . . . the beginning of the end.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 10 Dec 2013 16:49:56 -0500)

Traumatized by grief and guilt after her younger brother dies during a family vacation, fifteen-year-old Shiv is sent away to an exclusive clinic that claims to "cure" people like her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible