Darkness, Darkness by John Harvey

Darkness, Darkness

by John Harvey

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
Well, this is purported to be the final Charlie Resnick novel. This novel is better than most, but I didn't feel it was one of the stronger Charlie Resnick novels.

From the start, with a title of "Darkness, Darkness," I felt the tale was going to very stark and with long reaching impact.

It is the story of the discovery of a woman's body that ends up being that of a murder victim from longer than thirty years ago.

This is above standard fare when compared to mystery/murder novels, but I was hoping for just a bit more since this is the last of the series.

EricEllis | Sep 2, 2017 |
So this is Charlie Resnick's last case and I have been with him since the beginning, although I probably read the first one a few years after it was published. Ever since the TV adaptation I have had a clear picture of Tom Wilkinson as Charlie, perfect casting, which always makes reading the books easier. As Harvey says in his afterword, this is more Charlie observing than acting, and the back story, set during the Miners' strike, is ,well constructed. This is a series I will miss, but I look forward to other books by John Harvey. ( )
  johnwbeha | May 18, 2017 |
I first came across Charlie Resnick via Tom Wilkinson as his TV persona in the early 90's. Being suitably taken with the character and having lived in Nottingham the books were a great find and I really enjoyed them. I was therefore delighted when I had the opportunity via Netgalley to review this latest offering. As with previous titles I was not disappointed.

As a character Resnick has always been likeable because while he is a realist, he has never succumbed to the worn down cynicism that hangs over many detectives, he always shows his humanity.

In this, sadly, final novel he finds himself seconded to a cold case team searching for the killer of a young woman who went missing during the Miners' Strike. As he had run an information gathering unit at the heart of the dispute, this case brings him into contact with characters from his past. As well as being a well written murder mystery, it is an interesting insight into the Strike and how it was perceived, as well as how it was manipulated by the authorities. A subject that is topical given ongoing reviews of how the South Yorkshire Police in particular handled the situation.

While Resnick confronts the past, he is also very much in the present, as he is still coming to terms with the violent death of his partner.

Despite the long gap between the last book and this, John Harvey has not lost his touch, and if this is the last time we meet Resnick, this novel is a fitting end.

Jilldoyle | Mar 27, 2016 |
After twelve novels (all of which I have read) and sixteen short stories (none of which I have read), Charlie Resnick has been firmly, and I assume permanently, put to pasture. Interestingly, author John Harvey chose to send Charlie out more with a whimper than with a roar in Darkness, Darkness: Resnick’s Last Case, the novel offering the last glimpse of the jazz-loving detective whose cases many of readers have been following for more than two decades now.

Charlie is already all but retired, just marking time “in the bowels of Central Station,” as one of his colleagues puts it, when he is offered the opportunity to help out on a thirty-year-old cold case. Thirty years earlier, during a violent coal miners’ strike, a young woman who considered her husband to be a strikebreaking scab disappeared without a trace. She was there one day, gone the next. Because none of the policemen working the strike, including Charlie, could afford the extra time it would take to look into her disappearance, it was easier for the police to assume that the woman had run off to start a new life of her own – far away from the miners’ strike and her scab of a husband. Now a skeleton has been found in the back garden of a home in Bledwell Vale, a little coal-mining village that played a prominent role in the 1984 miner’s strike – and Charlie almost immediately thinks of Jenny Hardwick, the woman who disappeared all those years ago.

Assigned to head up the investigation, Catherine Njoroge, a thirty-three-year-old detective inspector (Kenyan by birth) senses that she has been handed a political hot potato, one that could effectively end her career if she blows it. But she also knows that Charlie Resnick was on the ground in Bledwell Vale thirty years ago and that he already knows all the players – if they are still alive, and if they can be found. Given the authority to recruit her own team, Catherine makes sure that Charlie is part of it.

Darkness, Darkness is a satisfying mystery, one that offers plenty of false leads and theories for police and readers alike to ponder, but it will be primarily remembered as Charlie Resnick’s last hurrah. Harvey makes it clear that the world is starting to pass Charlie by a bit, that it is moving a little too quickly for him these days, and that he knows it. Already, Charlie has become more observer than participant. He know longer cares about promotions or raises; he is just taking life one day at a time while watching the world he was once so familiar with change and disappear forever. John Harvey, a man in his own eighth decade, beautifully and accurately portrays a mindset common to so many as they approach the end of their working days. I will miss Charlie Resnick, and I hope he spends his days listening to his hundreds of jazz recordings, drinking the good stuff, and doing whatever else pleases him from here on out.

Thank you, John Harvey, for creating one of my favorite fictional characters and a series of which I never tired. Charlie was a good one. ( )
  SamSattler | Jul 9, 2015 |
I've enjoyed several of these Resnick novels, this one probably is not my favorite. Always well written, but I think I am glad this is the last one. ( )
  keithostertag | Jun 22, 2015 |

Thirty years ago, the Miners' Strike threatened to tear the country apart, turning neighbour against neighbour, husband against wife, father against son - enmities which smoulder still. Resnick, recently made up to inspector, and ambivalent at best about some of the police tactics, had run an information gathering unit at the heart of the dispute. Now, in virtual retirement, and still grieving over the violent death of his former partner, the discovery of the body of a young woman who disappeared during the Strike brings Resnick back to the front line to assist in the investigation into the woman's murder - forcing him to confront his past.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,806,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible