The Android's Dream by John Scalzi

The Android's Dream (edition 2007)

by John Scalzi

Member:thorklund
Title:The Android's Dream
Authors:John Scalzi
Info:Tor Science Fiction (2007), Paperback, 396 pages

The Android's Dream by John Scalzi

English (52)  Swedish (1)  All languages (53)
I was a little disappointed by this novel. Scalzi has some very apparent moments of hilarious plot brilliance (the first chapter really had me). The magic sort of dies a third of the way in.

There are so many characters that you never feel very attached to any one. I would have preferred more focus on Harry Creek and Robin Baker. Work on their relationship, develop their adventures, etc. The overall effect is shallow, sugary, nutritionless text.

Scalzi is very obviously a talented writer. Yet this novel could have benefited from a few more rounds of editing (my internal OCD-ometer disliked all the blatent mistakes) as well as some shuffling of the plot.

Anyway, enjoyable. Might check out some of his other stuff after he's had a few years to hone the craft. ( )
  konrad.katie | Apr 24, 2014 |
I liked the idea and it was normal Scalzi, but whether because of my mood or something else, I wasn't quite as enamoured with it as I typically am. ( )
  newskepticx | Dec 18, 2013 |
Ah Scalzi, we meet again. Long one of my favorite and becoming one of my favorite authors, John Scalzi has a weird sense of humor and a great sense for telling silly stories.

The Android's Dream is based on the premise of a diplomatic meltdown between two planets (Earth and Nidu) which has been engineered for decades. Starting with what amounts to a fart joke and going from there, Scalzi leads the reader through a merry chase of chicanery, subterfuge, sabotage and good old fashioned violence. In the end, Robin Baker has become her own nation, the leader of Nidu, the richest person on earth and the Evolved Lamb, messiah of a religion bent on making prophecies come true. Silly fun, but definitely not for those who prefer their reading not have strong language. The Android's Dream is strewn with "f" and "s" bombs. ( )
  AuntieClio | Dec 6, 2013 |
If Douglas Adams and Carl Hiaasen had written a book together, it might sound like this. Sometime in the not-too-distant future, Earth is in contact with aliens. As might be expected, there are trade treaties to be worked out. Politics as only slightly unusual ensues. Washingtonian manipulators, computer geeks, strange aliens, and a very interesting church are all looking for a certain sort of genetically engineered sheep, with very interesting results. ( )
  louistb | Jun 29, 2013 |
This Scalzi guy - he really knows how to build a layered story. The Android's Dream had so many twists and turns, I had fun reading it. I kept thinking I knew what was going to happen and then DAYAMN! Another twist. Amazing.

It's never really specified what year this novel takes place in, but it's clear that it's futuristic. Technology has advanced so far that there are ways to listen in on conversations using a paper with special ink - a way to download information from a wire using a vending machine; a way to wear a wire without it being visible even showing up on a scan.

I usually do not enjoy pages of explanation or history, infodumps, etc. This book did have quite a bit of it, but it was handled almost as if a storyteller was performing a story. It was actually interesting. I only felt myself feeling that glazed over look just a couple of times, and it was fleeting. I'm impressed. It isn't often that I find myself actually enjoying reading an "infodump". I'm not even sure that these sections should really be called infodumps, but it works for me. I shall call them fun infodumps.

Quick summary - which of course you can read on Goodreads....
Earth has been 'visited' by the Nitu - among other races from other planets. The earth or the United States are and have been in the midst of intense import/export negotiations with the Nitu. The Nitu also happen to be an arrogant, extremely caste conscience race of people; a people with clans that are ever competing with each other.

The only problem - not everyone is happy with the negotiations, and one of the participants is actively working to sabotage the efforts... with unforeseen results.

A very strange chain of events follows, involving sheep, gene splicing, a decorated hero/computer genious, a geek, an odd church, a rich old lady, space ships, war, and an interesting mix of interstellar aliens.

John Scalzi had been an amazing writer for quite a while, but I think this particular novel is past amazing and right into brilliant. I read this book in a one day period of time. Did not want to stop reading it. The narration is interesting, the dialogue was great, especially the banter between the characters, and the fight scenes - whether it's between people or more subtle attacks were great.

I recommend this to anyone who enjoys scifi, and anyone who enjoys scheming characters. You won't regret it. ( )
  Mardel | Jun 29, 2013 |
From the title I was expecting some Bladerunneresque cyberpunk noir and instead what I got was a tense political thriller written by a futurist with ADHD.
added by sdobie | editSF Site, John Enzinas (Dec 1, 2009)

Scalzi, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eshkar, ShelleyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kempen, BernhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Uchida, MasayukiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Kevin Stampfl, one of my best friends for years, and a good man to know before and after the collapse of civilization.
Also to Cory Doctorow, Justine Larbalestier, Nick Sagan, Charlie Stross, and Scott Westerfeld, my first live audience as a science fiction writer. Thanks for your attendance then, and your friendship now.
Dirk Moeller didn't know if he could fart his way into a major diplomatic incident. But he was ready to find out.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765348284, Mass Market Paperback)

A human diplomat creates an interstellar incident when he kills an alien diplomat in a most…unusual…way. To avoid war, Earth’s government must find an equally unusual object: A type of sheep ("The Android's Dream"), used in the alien race's coronation ceremony.

To find the sheep, the government turns to Harry Creek, ex-cop, war hero and hacker extraordinaire, who with the help of Brian Javna, a childhood friend turned artificial intelligence, scours the earth looking for the rare creature. And they find it, in the unknowing form of Robin Baker, pet store owner, whose genes contain traces of the sheep DNA.

But there are others with plans for the sheep as well: Mercenaries employed by the military. Adherents of a secret religion based on the writings of a 21st century science fiction author. And alien races, eager to start a revolution on their home world and a war on Earth.

To keep our planet from being enslaved, Harry will have to pull off the greatest diplomatic coup in history, a grand gambit that will take him from the halls of power to the lava-strewn battlefields of alien worlds. There's only one chance to get it right, to save the life of Robin Baker -- and to protect the future of humanity.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:07 -0400)

A human diplomat kills his alien counterpart. Earth is on the verge of war...A lone man races against time and a host of enemies to find the one object that can save our planet...a sheep"--Cover flap.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,285,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible