The Android's Dream by John Scalzi

The Android's Dream (edition 2007)

by John Scalzi

Member:thorklund
Title:The Android's Dream
Authors:John Scalzi
Info:Tor Science Fiction (2007), Paperback, 396 pages

The Android's Dream by John Scalzi

English (55)  Swedish (1)  All languages (56)
The Android’s Dream is written in true Scalzian style. Beginning with an… unusual murder during human trade negotiations with the Nidu, events begin to spiral downward for Earth as different government departments try to stop/escalate problems with the alien race. In order to preserve relations, the Nidu require a sacrificial sheep for the coronation ceremony in a week, part of the genetically engineered Android’s Dream species. Unfortunately, someone is systematically killing all of the candidates. As Harry Creek, a (by choice) underemployed war hero and computer genius works to track down the sheep, he becomes involved in scandals and scams that have been in progress for decades. Also arriving on the scene is the Church of the Enlightened Lamb, the only religion to openly admit its founding was a scam. They represent one of the largest corporations on Earth and have been working behind the scenes in science, politics, and economics in an attempt to bring their prophecies to fulfillment through the appearance of the Enlightened Lamb. In an attempt to complete his task Harry brings his childhood friend Brian back to life as a true Artificial Intelligence, and Brian discovers a secret that could affect galactic politics. ( )
  Ailinel | May 1, 2015 |
Ah-hahahaha. John Scalzi kicks ass. This book? Think Carl Hiaasen meets Robert Heinlein. ( )
  emepps | Jan 23, 2015 |
This is standard Scalzi humor writing. Good stuff. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
I was a little disappointed by this novel. Scalzi has some very apparent moments of hilarious plot brilliance (the first chapter really had me). The magic sort of dies a third of the way in.

There are so many characters that you never feel very attached to any one. I would have preferred more focus on Harry Creek and Robin Baker. Work on their relationship, develop their adventures, etc. The overall effect is shallow, sugary, nutritionless text.

Scalzi is very obviously a talented writer. Yet this novel could have benefited from a few more rounds of editing (my internal OCD-ometer disliked all the blatent mistakes) as well as some shuffling of the plot.

Anyway, enjoyable. Might check out some of his other stuff after he's had a few years to hone the craft. ( )
  konrad.katie | Apr 24, 2014 |
I liked the idea and it was normal Scalzi, but whether because of my mood or something else, I wasn't quite as enamoured with it as I typically am. ( )
  newskepticx | Dec 18, 2013 |
From the title I was expecting some Bladerunneresque cyberpunk noir and instead what I got was a tense political thriller written by a futurist with ADHD.
added by sdobie | editSF Site, John Enzinas (Dec 1, 2009)

Scalzi, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eshkar, ShelleyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kempen, BernhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Uchida, MasayukiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Kevin Stampfl, one of my best friends for years, and a good man to know before and after the collapse of civilization.
Also to Cory Doctorow, Justine Larbalestier, Nick Sagan, Charlie Stross, and Scott Westerfeld, my first live audience as a science fiction writer. Thanks for your attendance then, and your friendship now.
Dirk Moeller didn't know if he could fart his way into a major diplomatic incident. But he was ready to find out.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765348284, Mass Market Paperback)

A human diplomat creates an interstellar incident when he kills an alien diplomat in a most…unusual…way. To avoid war, Earth’s government must find an equally unusual object: A type of sheep ("The Android's Dream"), used in the alien race's coronation ceremony.

To find the sheep, the government turns to Harry Creek, ex-cop, war hero and hacker extraordinaire, who with the help of Brian Javna, a childhood friend turned artificial intelligence, scours the earth looking for the rare creature. And they find it, in the unknowing form of Robin Baker, pet store owner, whose genes contain traces of the sheep DNA.

But there are others with plans for the sheep as well: Mercenaries employed by the military. Adherents of a secret religion based on the writings of a 21st century science fiction author. And alien races, eager to start a revolution on their home world and a war on Earth.

To keep our planet from being enslaved, Harry will have to pull off the greatest diplomatic coup in history, a grand gambit that will take him from the halls of power to the lava-strewn battlefields of alien worlds. There's only one chance to get it right, to save the life of Robin Baker -- and to protect the future of humanity.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:07 -0400)

A human diplomat kills his alien counterpart. Earth is on the verge of war...A lone man races against time and a host of enemies to find the one object that can save our planet...a sheep"--Cover flap.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,810,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible