The Android's Dream by John Scalzi

The Android's Dream (edition 2007)

by John Scalzi

Member:thorklund
Title:The Android's Dream
Authors:John Scalzi
Info:Tor Science Fiction (2007), Paperback, 396 pages

The Android's Dream by John Scalzi

Recently added byjohndram, dmmuir, RachelLeah, jmchshannon, jeffreyholst, kvrfan, Anasurimbor, private library, LitaVore

English (64)  Swedish (1)  English (65)
Although I've heard nothing but good things about John Scalzi's Old Man's War, I still haven't gotten around to reading it. Which, given how much sheer fun The Android's Dream is, makes me an idiot. Seriously. If you can put this book down after reading the first paragraph, you're a better person than me. It's got action. It's got adventure. It's got power politics and strange alien races. It's got the snappiest dialogue since Nick & Nora Charles set the banter highwater mark. Get it. Read it. Love it. And right soon ( )
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
I have a paperback edition of this one on my shelves and reread it from time to time. It's been years since the last time and I'd forgotten how enjoyable it is. It's got aliens, political intrigue, back-stabbing villains, heroic good guys, some light banter, and an interesting plot. It's good fun. I like it. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Not really my favorite. The book had a remarkably predictable plot camouflaged by bombastic language. Kind of a fun read but not my favorite. I'd like to try Old Man's War next. ( )
  kthsdlr | Aug 14, 2016 |
This book by the reliable Scalzi is a nice lightweight romp, and hung together pretty well. It was a bit hard to keep track of the characters and their allegiances but I took notes. ( )
  JudyGibson | Jul 17, 2016 |
At least The Android's Dream got better as it went along. But considering it started out with an elaborate fart joke that isn't saying much. This is a science fiction book the same way Spaceballs is a science fiction movie. Entertaining enough but nothing too deep. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
From the title I was expecting some Bladerunneresque cyberpunk noir and instead what I got was a tense political thriller written by a futurist with ADHD.
added by sdobie | editSF Site, John Enzinas (Dec 1, 2009)

Scalzi, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eshkar, ShelleyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kempen, BernhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Uchida, MasayukiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Kevin Stampfl, one of my best friends for years, and a good man to know before and after the collapse of civilization.
Also to Cory Doctorow, Justine Larbalestier, Nick Sagan, Charlie Stross, and Scott Westerfeld, my first live audience as a science fiction writer. Thanks for your attendance then, and your friendship now.
Dirk Moeller didn't know if he could fart his way into a major diplomatic incident. But he was ready to find out.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765348284, Mass Market Paperback)

A human diplomat creates an interstellar incident when he kills an alien diplomat in a most…unusual…way. To avoid war, Earth’s government must find an equally unusual object: A type of sheep ("The Android's Dream"), used in the alien race's coronation ceremony.

To find the sheep, the government turns to Harry Creek, ex-cop, war hero and hacker extraordinaire, who with the help of Brian Javna, a childhood friend turned artificial intelligence, scours the earth looking for the rare creature. And they find it, in the unknowing form of Robin Baker, pet store owner, whose genes contain traces of the sheep DNA.

But there are others with plans for the sheep as well: Mercenaries employed by the military. Adherents of a secret religion based on the writings of a 21st century science fiction author. And alien races, eager to start a revolution on their home world and a war on Earth.

To keep our planet from being enslaved, Harry will have to pull off the greatest diplomatic coup in history, a grand gambit that will take him from the halls of power to the lava-strewn battlefields of alien worlds. There's only one chance to get it right, to save the life of Robin Baker -- and to protect the future of humanity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:44 -0400)

A human diplomat kills his alien counterpart. Earth is on the verge of war...A lone man races against time and a host of enemies to find the one object that can save our planet...a sheep"--Cover flap.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,728,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible