The Android's Dream by John Scalzi

The Android's Dream (edition 2007)

by John Scalzi

Member:thorklund
Title:The Android's Dream
Authors:John Scalzi
Info:Tor Science Fiction (2007), Paperback, 396 pages

The Android's Dream by John Scalzi

English (62)  Swedish (1)  All languages (63)
Not really my favorite. The book had a remarkably predictable plot camouflaged by bombastic language. Kind of a fun read but not my favorite. I'd like to try Old Man's War next. ( )
  kthsdlr | Aug 14, 2016 |
This book by the reliable Scalzi is a nice lightweight romp, and hung together pretty well. It was a bit hard to keep track of the characters and their allegiances but I took notes. ( )
  JudyGibson | Jul 17, 2016 |
At least The Android's Dream got better as it went along. But considering it started out with an elaborate fart joke that isn't saying much. This is a science fiction book the same way Spaceballs is a science fiction movie. Entertaining enough but nothing too deep. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Summary: After a disgruntled diplomatic employee manages to kill one of the visiting alien Nidu using, erm, ingenious methods, Earth's only hope to avoid war (and likely annihilation) is to procure one of the rare electric blue sheep of the Android's Dream breed that the Nidu use in their coronation ceremony. The job lands with Harry Creek, who is part war hero, part cop, and part hacker. With the help of an AI based on the brain scan of his childhood best friend, they get to work tracking down the sheep. But they're not the only forces at work: someone is killing off all the Android's Dream sheep, so the only one Harry can find is Ms. Robin Baker, a pet store owner with traces of sheep DNA in her genome. Now Harry has to keep Robin safe, since not only are there assassins out to stop her from ever reaching the Nidu, there's also members of the Church of the Evolved Lamb who are working very hard to make sure their prophecies - which were originally made up by a mediocre sci-fi writer, and may or may not involve Robin - come true.

Review: This book, as I expected, was good, solid fun. Scalzi's certainly capable of writing more serious stuff, but I think "zany romp" is what he does best, and this is about as zany as it gets. I didn't go into it expecting too much - I didn't know much about it, other than it was one of his earlier books, that it was stand-alone, that I hadn't read it yet, and that it apparently had something to do with androids. (Which it totally doesn't, by the way. Just sheep. And not that Scalzi's books are usually super tech-heavy to begin with, but this one felt a little lighter on the sci-fi technobabble than usual.)

But I had a lot of fun with this book, probably more than I was expecting. It's one of those books that makes me want to use words like "madcap" (and "zany", apparently; see above). It's a thousand things going on at once, all of them wacky. (There's another of those words.)
While that did make it a little hard to keep track of everything - especially since Scalzi's characterizations are not particularly deep, so some of the supporting characters felt a little interchangeable and thus a little confusing - everything does eventually tie together more neatly and more logically than I was expecting it to, which is quite a feat and which I always appreciate. Actually, in that way, it reminded me quite a bit of Connie Willis's Bellwether... and although the sheep connection probably helped solidify that link in my mind, it's not the only thing they have in common.

On the whole, I enjoyed listening to this book quite a bit. I find Wil Wheaton's voice to be a great match for Scalzi's dry sense of humor, and he was as good here as ever. This book didn't have a lot of deep characters or subtle themes or lovely language, but it did have a fast moving plot, plenty of jokes, and an unexpected yet satisfying ending. Good times. 4 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: I'm having a hard time coming up with read-alikes other than Bellwether, so I'm going to use the same recommendation I made for that one: Fans of Scalzi’s sense of humor will for sure enjoy it, as will most readers of lighter sci-fi, as well as anyone who likes the style of comedy where all sorts of crazy things happen but somehow they all fit together into a bigger picture by the end.
  fyrefly98 | May 21, 2016 |
The peace between earth and its allies hangs in the balance over the fate of a thought extinct sheep hybrid. Throw in a cult and reptilian aliens to make "The Androids Dream" I enjoyed reading it ( )
  mazeybooks | Mar 5, 2016 |
From the title I was expecting some Bladerunneresque cyberpunk noir and instead what I got was a tense political thriller written by a futurist with ADHD.
added by sdobie | editSF Site, John Enzinas (Dec 1, 2009)

Scalzi, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eshkar, ShelleyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kempen, BernhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Uchida, MasayukiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Kevin Stampfl, one of my best friends for years, and a good man to know before and after the collapse of civilization.
Also to Cory Doctorow, Justine Larbalestier, Nick Sagan, Charlie Stross, and Scott Westerfeld, my first live audience as a science fiction writer. Thanks for your attendance then, and your friendship now.
Dirk Moeller didn't know if he could fart his way into a major diplomatic incident. But he was ready to find out.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765348284, Mass Market Paperback)

A human diplomat creates an interstellar incident when he kills an alien diplomat in a most…unusual…way. To avoid war, Earth’s government must find an equally unusual object: A type of sheep ("The Android's Dream"), used in the alien race's coronation ceremony.

To find the sheep, the government turns to Harry Creek, ex-cop, war hero and hacker extraordinaire, who with the help of Brian Javna, a childhood friend turned artificial intelligence, scours the earth looking for the rare creature. And they find it, in the unknowing form of Robin Baker, pet store owner, whose genes contain traces of the sheep DNA.

But there are others with plans for the sheep as well: Mercenaries employed by the military. Adherents of a secret religion based on the writings of a 21st century science fiction author. And alien races, eager to start a revolution on their home world and a war on Earth.

To keep our planet from being enslaved, Harry will have to pull off the greatest diplomatic coup in history, a grand gambit that will take him from the halls of power to the lava-strewn battlefields of alien worlds. There's only one chance to get it right, to save the life of Robin Baker -- and to protect the future of humanity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:44 -0400)

A human diplomat kills his alien counterpart. Earth is on the verge of war...A lone man races against time and a host of enemies to find the one object that can save our planet...a sheep"--Cover flap.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,159,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible