The Immortal Heights by Sherry Thomas

The Immortal Heights

by Sherry Thomas

This is a five star, no brainer. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL AND BRILLIANT AND SUCH A SATISFYING ENDING!!

If you haven't read this trilogy yet, WHAT ARE YOU DOING, GO PICK IT UP!! ( )
  mmalyn | Feb 24, 2018 |
Letdown of an ending. So, here we are at the end of another adventure. Iolanthe and Titus are now joined by friends and allies for one Final Battle vs. the Bane with lives at stake, a prophecy to fulfill and the fate of the world resting in the balance. But the Bane has a twist. Titus must give up Iolanthe to the Bane or it is the end of the world as we know it. You know, as is standard with these epic YA fantasy trilogies.

Anyway, I had hoped that after book 2 this book might pick up a bit more and in a way it does. Thankfully the strange split perspective was not repeated and this is more in the vein of the storytelling style of book one. And we are plunged right into the action but unfortunately a lot doesn't really "happen" until the closer to the climax of the book. We've got a few twists and turns, bits and pieces of plot twists, info dump on the Bane and how he came to exist, etc.

In some ways the book felt like it was a bit too rushed and yet not that much happened. Thomas's books tend to be slow in build-up and sometimes are slow overall but I just couldn't help but feel that there wasn't enough material for three books (hence what is basically rehashing of the love story in book 2) and yet there was too much saved for this last book (sacrifices, information revealing motives, origins, etc.). This might have made for a better duology than stretched out as trilogy. I also wanted more elemental magic. I was also partially right in how they managed to fulfill one of the prophecies while not actually doing so. It was a bit disappointing that I was on the right track for the device used, even if it didn't quite happen the way I thought it would.

But I will say I was glad Thomas didn't force a love triangle. Too many YA books use that as a crutch or plot device and I'm glad we didn't have any nonsense with these Iolanthe and Titus. Arguably this device was transferred to some of the secondary characters but it wasn't a major plot point to take up much space. There was also a bit of throw-ins mentioning some LGBT relationships that just felt a bit tacked-on for no reason whatsoever.

Overall a mixed bag and I'll probably make it a point to borrow her books from now on instead of buying. But this was something a little different and I enjoyed the ride. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
This was a fantastic conclusion to this trilogy! Although a little daunting at times with the non-stop action, I really enjoyed this book and read it very quickly :) The ending was a bit weird, but overall satisfying. I liked the newer characters that were introduced and the development of some other minor characters as well :) Great read :D ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |
Not perfect but so utterly exactly what I was hoping this book would be that I forgive it of its minor faults.

Also I cried like four times at the end.

I'm gonna miss grouchy Titus and "scariest elemental Mage alive" Iolanthe a whole lot. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
Хочу ещё YA от Томас.))
Да, есть пара неувязочек, и они меня раздражали.
Да, мои ожидания не оправдались - после накала второй книги я ждала чего-то более впечатляющего в самом конце.
И всё же, всё же это лучшее романтическое YA, прочитанное мной за последние три года.
А ещё я благодарна Томас, что она не ленится доводить до конца все линии, которые нужно закончить, разрешать все важные конфликты. Мне грустно расставаться с Титом и Иолантой (и я, несомненно, буду перечитывать), но нет ощущения того, что что-то недодали, как было после окончания "Earth Girl" Эдвардс. ( )
  Rezeda | May 27, 2016 |

When Bane, the monstrous tyrant who bestrides the entire mage world, demands that Titus hand over Iolanthe or watch as his entire realm is destroyed in a deadly rampage, Iolanthe and Titus decide to infiltrate Bane's crypt, the most ferociously guarded fortress in Atlantis.… (more)

Sherry Thomas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,793,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible