The Raven and Other Favorite Poems (Dover…

The Raven and Other Favorite Poems (Dover Thrift Editions) (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Edgar Allan Poe

Member:timoheuer
Title:The Raven and Other Favorite Poems (Dover Thrift Editions)
Authors:Edgar Allan Poe
Info:Dover Publications (1991), Paperback, 64 pages
Tags:gedichtband, poesie, poetry, gedichte, amerikanische literatur, englische literatur, englischsprachige literatur, horrorliteratur, horror, lang:en

The Raven and Other Favorite Poems by Edgar Allan Poe (1991)

To -- -- ("I saw thee on thy bridal day") -- Dreams -- Spirits of the dead -- Evening star -- A dream within a dream -- Stanzas -- A dream -- The happiest day, the happiest hour -- The lake : to -- -- Sonnet : to Science -- Romance -- To -- ("The bowers whereat, in dreams, I see") -- To the River -- -- To -- ("I heed not that my earthly lot") -- Fairy-land -- To Helen ("Helen, thy beauty is to me") -- Israfel -- The city in the sea -- The sleeper -- Lenore -- The valley of unrest -- The Coliseum -- To one in paradise -- To F-- -- Sonnet : to Zante -- The haunted palace -- Sonnet : silence -- The conqueror worm -- Dream-land -- The raven -- Eulalie : a song -- To M.L. S-- -- Ulalume -- To -- -- ("Not long ago, the writer of these lines") -- To Helen ("I saw thee once, once only, years ago") -- Eldorado -- For Annie -- To my mother -- Annabel Lee -- The bells -- Alone.
  BlessedHopeAcademy | Jul 27, 2013 |
When I read "The Raven," I could hear Duke professor Reynolds Price reading it during his annual Halloween storytelling. :) ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
Are all poets fascinated with death? I think I've asked that question somewhere else. I know think the answer has to be: "Yes". I did not enjoy any of these until I got to The Raven. Then, and after that, I enjoyed Eulalie, Ulalume and For Annie, That's not much in an anthology of about 42 poems. Still, I shouldn't be surprised. I have had no training in how to read and appreciate poetry. My English master at school was more of a prose aficionado and accordingly, I think, I prefer that type of written communication. I keep trying by reading these things and I didn't think much of Mr. Poe. ( )
  gmillar | Jan 21, 2011 |
This slim volume (a mere 50-some pages all told) of Edgar Allen Poe's lyrical work is a delightful read. The only reason it didn't get more stars from me was because it was so short. Included is, of course, Poe's most famous poem "The Raven." But also present are greats such as "Israfel," "Anabel Lee," and my personal favorite, "The Conqueror Worm."

The book attempts to go chronologically through the selected works. I say attempts because there is some uncertainty as to the specific dates some of the works were put to paper. This type of arrangement was interesting, as I was able to discern a marked progression in his poetic style. Much of Poe's earlier work was quite childish, sounding much like the sentimental ramblings of an immature teen--which it actually was. In his later works, however, Poe's brilliance truly shines. His rhyme and meter and voice are melodic in tone, making the poetry a joy to read aloud as well. More than a couple times I've lulled my infant son to sleep with recitations of "Lenore" and "The Bells."

The book is short and sweet and can be read and enjoyed in just an hour or two of dedicated reading. If you're a novice to Poe or simply want a good overview of his more famous works, this book comes with the highest recommendation possible. ( )
1 vote WillyMammoth | Oct 16, 2010 |
A selection of 41 poems. Please do not combine with other works unless you are certain the contents are the same.

Features 41 of Poe's most memorable poems — among them "The Bells," "Ulalume," "Israfel," "To Helen," "The Conqueror Worm," "Eldorado" and "Annabel Lee" — reveal the extraordinary spectrum of Poe's personality and his virtuoso command of poetic language, rhythms and figures of speech. A selection of the Common Core State Standards Initiative.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:58 -0400)

Features 41 of Poe's most memorable poems - among them "The Bells," "Ulalume," "Israfel," "To Helen," "The Conqueror Worm," "Eldorado" and "Annabel Lee" - reveal the extraordinary spectrum of Poe's personality and his virtuoso command of poetic language, rhythms and figures of speech. Alphabetic lists of titles and first lines.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,166,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible