The Fourteenth Goldfish by Jennifer L. Holm

The Fourteenth Goldfish

by Jennifer L. Holm

This is a wonderful coming of age story of a young girl trying to find a new normal in her life. She and her mother live a scattered lifestyle until her grandfather comes into her life in a unique way, upsetting the chaos in she and her mother's lives, and setting her on the path to a true life's lesson. I received an e-copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a review, and before I finished reading it I learned it was selected as a Sunshine State Young Readers award book for the 2015-2016 school year. I look forward to sharing and promoting this book with my young readers next year! ( )
  Dmtcer | May 4, 2016 |
A mad scientist who invents the fountain of youth, suffers from teenage angst and acne. Delivering an interesting mix of humor and science, this book is sure to please youngsters who enjoy jumping into the craziness to fiction while uncovering the circle of life. ( )
  jnmwheels | Apr 3, 2016 |
Everyone wants to leave a legacy. As grandpa eventually realizes, "Our greatest responsibility is to be good ancestors." I love the way science is described as inquiry. ( )
  CALammert | Mar 31, 2016 |
A funny book with a lot of humor throughout. Ellie's grandfather discover's a way to reverse aging and must come live white his daughter, a drama teacher, and granddaughter a 6th graders who is trying to fit in without her best friend. Many science topics are addressed and Ellie because interested in science. Also an ethical question, even if we knew how to make everyone younger should we because as she stated who would be the grown-ups and who would raise the kids?

Curricular Connection: Students could pick one of the scientist mentioned in the book and do research to find out all about them.
  sanm277 | Feb 28, 2016 |
This is a quirky story from start to finish. I think it'd make a great 4th grade read aloud. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |

Believe in the possible . . . with this brilliantly quirky, thought-provoking novel from New York Times bestseller, three-time Newbery Honor winner Jennifer L. Holm

Galileo. Newton. Salk. Oppenheimer.
Science can change the world . . . but can it go too far?

Eleven-year-old Ellie has never liked change. She misses fifth grade. She misses her old best friend. She even misses her dearly departed goldfish. Then one day a strange boy shows up. He’s bossy. He’s cranky. And weirdly enough . . . he looks a lot like Ellie’s grandfather, a scientist who’s always been slightly obsessed with immortality. Could this pimply boy really be Grandpa Melvin? Has he finally found the secret to eternal youth?

With a lighthearted touch and plenty of humor, Jennifer Holm celebrates the wonder of science and explores fascinating questions about life and death, family and friendship, immortality . . . and possibility.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:46 -0400)

Ellie's scientist grandfather has discovered a way to reverse aging, and consequently has turned into a teenager--which makes for complicated relationships when he moves in with Ellie and her mother, his daughter.

51 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,991,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible