Queen of Hearts by Rhys Bowen

Queen of Hearts

by Rhys Bowen

Series: Her Royal Spyness (8)

Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Royal Spyness mysteries are set in England in the 1930s; the Phryne Fisher mysteries take place in Australia in the 1920s. Both cozy historical mystery series feature smart, independent, and unconventional heroines, and strong evocations of time and place.… (more)

Love listening to this series! ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
QUEEN OF HEART by Rhys Bowen is the eighth installment in this cozy mystery series, but the first I have read. The main characters, Lady Georgina “Georgie” Rannoch and her mother, Claire Daniels, former duchess of Rannoch, once upon a time a famous stage actress. There are Georgie’s best friend Belinda, Georgie’s paramour Darcy O’Mara and a few more Brits are sent across the pond for an adventure in the colonies. The time is in the early part of the last century and, despite the mission to secure her mother a “quickie” divorce in Reno, the entire crew ends up in Hollywood.
There is a dramatic period aboard the ocean liner when a notorious jewel thief makes his appearance, plus a possible murder. Mostly it is one costume after another and splendid details about the life of the rich and powerful. On board Georgie and crew meet a Hollywood mogul who promises to get them parts in one of his upcoming pictures, especially the mother.
Once in Hollywood we get treated to a film set, hysterics, crushed dreams, and an outing to the producer’s own Hearst-like Xanadu. A murder occurs in the well fortified grounds and this tries to become something out of a Christie novel.
A few invented Hollywood stars are along for the adventure. Charlie Chaplin makes an extended appearance, to help liven things up.
I am lead to believe the previous outings were very good, but this one seems to be forcefully invented. Ms. Bowen perhaps thought by changing scenery, things might pop more, but this is a bottle of half flat champagne. Georgie’s romance, while enticing, seems like a contrived method to add to the play, not something real. Her maid, Queenie, is forced into the action even though she would not be tolerated for two moments by any employer.
Chaplin is wasted added only as some needed comic relief.
And the mystery itself lacks mystery. While there are a few misleading suggestions tossed about, the identities of the guilty parties is plain.
There are some qualities I did like, the settings and some of the interactions, but in all I can’t recommend this one. ( )
  TomDonaghey | Jun 11, 2018 |
I liked the California setting - it was fun to think back in time to how we were then. ( )
  SusanKrzywicki | Feb 3, 2017 |
In the time between WWI and WWII, when everything about society is changing, Lady Georgiana Rannoch, 35th in line to the English throne, is a charming throwback to Victorian aristocracy - no matter how hard she tries to be otherwise. She is the sister of a Duke, frequently has tea with the Queen, and her mother is a famous stage actress infamous for her ability to rip through very rich men around the world, but Georgie is penniless and trying desperately to make her own way in the world. She's in love with a penniless son of the aristocracy and despite her willingness to throw her values to the wind, she just can't catch a break.

In Queen of Hearts, Georgie's mother declares that she has finally agreed to marry her current beau, bazillionaire German industrialist, Max. But first she must divorce her current husband, American bazillionaire oil magnate, Homer. But he's always refused a divorce, citing religious beliefs, so it's off to Reno to acquire a quickie divorce and she pulls Georgie along with her for company, introducing Georgie to her first Atlantic cruise, New York City, and ultimately Hollywood (via Reno). Along the way, a very clever jewel thief and eventually a dead body has Georgie scrambling for solutions while soaking up all that 1930's America has to offer.

This series and this book are a joy to read. The author writes wonderful characters and puts them in vivid, descriptive settings and sets them upon very well plotted, clever mysteries. At any given moment in this book the author had me absolutely convinced that character A, then character B, - no, no, character C MUST be the culprit. Georgie "investigates" without ever interrogating, making TSTL decisions or EVER thinking she is better than the authorities - even if she sometimes is.

I was initially reluctant to try this series - "Her Royal Spyness" just sounded too, too silly. I had visions of an empty aristocrat going on undercover missions. But Georgiana charmed me from the beginning with her sincere, practical, common sense outlook on the life she was given and her openness to the adventures and mysteries thrown in her path. And Darcy...ahhh Darcy.

#9 soon please, Ms. Bowen. ( )
  murderbydeath | Nov 20, 2016 |
A really nice easy read. I just wish georgianna and Darcy would get married already! When am i going to meet Mr. Darcy! Lol Rhys Bowen, you need to crank them out faster!! Cant get enough of the Royal Spyness or Molly Murphy series ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |

Rhys Bowenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frangie, RitaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattos, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my fellow Jungle Red Writers:  Hallie Ephron, Hank Phillippi Ryan, Deborah Crombie, Julia Spencer-Fleming, Lucy Burdette, Susan Elia McNeal, with thanks for their support and friendship ande for the fun we have with game shows at Bouchercon.

And a special dedication to Barbara Kindell, who lent her name to a Hollywood personality for this book.
Kingsdowne Place, Eynsford, Kent
Monday, July 9, 1934

Dear Diary: weather fine but absolutely nothing to do. Dying of boredom.
Author is Rhys Bowen

Lady Georgiana Rannoch, thirty-fifth in line for the British throne, knows how to play the part of an almost royal—but now she’s off to Hollywood, where she must reprise her role as sleuth or risk starring in an all-too-convincing death scene…

My mother, the glamorous and much-married actress, is hearing wedding bells once again—which is why she must hop across the pond for a quickie divorce in Reno. To offer my moral support, and since all expenses are paid by her new hubby-to-be, Max, I agree to make the voyage with her.

Crossing the Atlantic, with adventure in the air and wealthy men aboard, Mother all but forgets about Max and matrimony—especially when movie mogul Cy Goldman insists on casting her in his next picture.

Mother’s movie and Darcy’s larceny lead everyone to Cy’s Hollywood home, where the likes of Charlie Chaplin are hanging about and there’s enough romantic intrigue to fill a double feature. But we hardly get a chance to work out the sleeping arrangements before Cy turns up dead—as if there wasn’t enough drama already…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:12 -0400)

"Lady Georgiana Rannoch, thirty-fifth in line for the British throne, knows how to play the part of an almost royal--but now she's off to Hollywood, where she must reprise her role as sleuth or risk starring in an all-too-convincing death scene ... My mother, the glamorous and much-married actress, is hearing wedding bells once again--which is why she must hop across the pond for a quickie divorce in Reno. To offer my moral support, and since all expenses are paid by her new hubby-to-be, Max, I agree to make the voyage with her. Crossing the Atlantic, with adventure in the air and wealthy men aboard, Mother all but forgets about Max and matrimony--especially when movie mogul Cy Goldman insists on casting her in his next picture. Meanwhile, I find myself caught up in the secret investigation of a suspected jewel thief. Lucky for me, the lead investigator happens to be my dashing beau, Darcy! Mother's movie and Darcy's larceny lead everyone to Cy's Hollywood home, where the likes of Charlie Chaplin are hanging about and there's enough romantic intrigue to fill a double feature. But we hardly get a chance to work out the sleeping arrangements before Cy turns up dead--as if there wasn't enough drama already ..."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,754,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible