Symbiont (Parasitology) by Mira Grant

Symbiont (Parasitology) (edition 2014)

by Mira Grant

Collections:Read and owned, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:science fiction, zombies

Symbiont by Mira Grant

Trilogies are difficult to write... the hardest part being book 2. You're in the middle, in no man's land... you need to keep people you hooked in book one interested enough for book three. Luckily for me and this trilogy I managed to get very hooked in book one, because book 2, Symbiont, was more or less just 500 pages of filler. Reinforcement that the world had gone to shit, that sleepwalkers were dangerous, and that Sal was a tapeworm all along. All things that could have been handled in a few pages that turned into 500 pages worth of repeated information. It makes sense that this happened, it was only supposed to be two books but got stretched onto three. Oh well, still looking forward to book 3. ( )
  PoesRaven42 | Feb 5, 2018 |
Mira Grant delivers another strong showing with the second book in her parasitology series. She continues the story of Sal, and lets us deal - to some extent - with the reveal of the first book through her eyes. I was a little disappointed with this book, but I believe that to be more in personal preferences than in the quality of writing. Though still sympathetic to the character, I felt myself pulling away from her views little by little as the story progressed. I wanted to see different decisions made by the characters, and was really longing for a more in-depth look at the moral implications and philosophies of the books' premises. Even still, Mira Grant engages and evokes well, and I will happy see the story of Sal and her friends to the end.

Two particular items of note, just to get them off my chest:
1) I'm pretty dang tired of the broken doors. In the first book it worked as a nice strong metaphor, but by the end of Symbiont, the constant, repetitive quotes were really starting to grate on my nerves. Since I listened to this in audio format, skipping past those sections wasn't really an option. People tend to frown at me when I read from a physical book while driving through the Hampton Road Bridge Tunnel, though, so...audio it is.
2) There is one character who is equal parts unbelievable and enjoyable that I would love to see a bit more of somehow. One of the new team members is convinced he is dreaming of living in a video game (a la "The Last of Us") and is ready to wake up and return to his wife and the "real world". It's an interesting psychosis with discussion potential all its own. ( )
  rencheple | Aug 26, 2016 |
Another Grant book that I couldn't stand to put down. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
I loooooove this series. It killed me to wait for the paperback because I was so enthralled by the first book. Is medical sci-fi a genre? Well, it should be, if it isn't. If you want to be grossed out in the best way, and think about the morality of a situation that seems plausible for the future of mankind, check out this series. ( )
  MillieHennessy | May 31, 2016 |
I often have a hard time enjoying middle volumes in trilogies. Middle novels often feel like a dead zone for characters and plot development, lacking in overall excitement and action. Symbiont exceeds where other middle-trilogy novels have failed. It’s interesting and complex at times, characters are tested in situations that allow for stronger character development, and the premise remains plausible. However, I did feel at times the length of the novel was what took the most out of me. As a train commuter for work, I can finish 400 books in about four or five 55-minute train rides. Symbiont took 11. I felt exhausted. It was later that I discovered the series was originally a duology that had transformed into a trilogy.

More here:
https://artemisreads.wordpress.com/2016/02/04/review-symbiont-by-marissa-meyer/ ( )
  artemisreads | Feb 15, 2016 |
This book is dedicated to Aislinn Suzanne Ellis, who had the excellent sense to be born while it was being written./ Welcome to the world, my dearest skeleton girl.

Worm implants awake!
But some become sleepwalkers.
Sal's worm stays awake.
(pickupsticks)

"THE SECOND BOOK IN MIRA GRANT'S TERRIFYING PARASITOLOGY SERIES. THE ENEMY IS INSIDE US. The SymboGen designed tapeworms were created to relieve humanity of disease and sickness. But the implants in the majority of the world's population began attacking their hosts turning them into a ravenous horde. Now those who do not appear to be afflicted are being gathered for quarantine as panic spreads, but Sal and her companions must discover how the tapeworms are taking over their hosts, what their eventual goal is, and how they can be stopped"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,600,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible