Symbiont (Parasitology) by Mira Grant

Symbiont (Parasitology) (edition 2014)

by Mira Grant

Collections:Read and owned, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:science fiction, zombies

Symbiont by Mira Grant

This is the second volume of the Parasitology trilogy. The novel contains a brief description of all that happened in the first book, so it can be read without the first volume. However, I recommend reading them in chronological order.

So, zombie apocalypse is upon us. It is not caused by a virus or voodoo magic but by genetically modified tapeworm, which was created to be a symbiont that should solve a plethora of medical conditions, from diabetes to allergies. Now the symbiont in many hosts takes over, just like other parasites actually do in real world.

While this is a version of zombie apocalypse, there is not a lot of shooting or running in the book. Moreover, the main theme are feelings of the protagonist. I don’t want to sound misogynistic, but the book is clearly written by a woman, and I actually like it.

While not the greatest novel, it definitely worth reading if you enjoy a mix of SF and thriller with a bit of romance.
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |
The second book in the Parasitology series likely suffers from second book syndrome. It is not as good as the first and feels more flat. There are great moments but overall it doesn't move. With a horror or thriller plot line, there is no sense of urgency or doom. I really like the idea of the book, with the unique look at zombies and the character's POV, but it doesn't really explore it that much. ( )
  renbedell | Nov 12, 2018 |
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I enjoyed the first. It felt a bit bogged down and bloated, as if neither the writing nor the plot was moving at times. Second book of a trilogy syndrome, maybe. Still, by the end it had put the players in place for the war, and that's what needed to be done. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Trilogies are difficult to write... the hardest part being book 2. You're in the middle, in no man's land... you need to keep people you hooked in book one interested enough for book three. Luckily for me and this trilogy I managed to get very hooked in book one, because book 2, Symbiont, was more or less just 500 pages of filler. Reinforcement that the world had gone to shit, that sleepwalkers were dangerous, and that Sal was a tapeworm all along. All things that could have been handled in a few pages that turned into 500 pages worth of repeated information. It makes sense that this happened, it was only supposed to be two books but got stretched onto three. Oh well, still looking forward to book 3. ( )
  PoesRaven42 | Feb 5, 2018 |
Mira Grant delivers another strong showing with the second book in her parasitology series. She continues the story of Sal, and lets us deal - to some extent - with the reveal of the first book through her eyes. I was a little disappointed with this book, but I believe that to be more in personal preferences than in the quality of writing. Though still sympathetic to the character, I felt myself pulling away from her views little by little as the story progressed. I wanted to see different decisions made by the characters, and was really longing for a more in-depth look at the moral implications and philosophies of the books' premises. Even still, Mira Grant engages and evokes well, and I will happy see the story of Sal and her friends to the end.

Two particular items of note, just to get them off my chest:
1) I'm pretty dang tired of the broken doors. In the first book it worked as a nice strong metaphor, but by the end of Symbiont, the constant, repetitive quotes were really starting to grate on my nerves. Since I listened to this in audio format, skipping past those sections wasn't really an option. People tend to frown at me when I read from a physical book while driving through the Hampton Road Bridge Tunnel, though, so...audio it is.
2) There is one character who is equal parts unbelievable and enjoyable that I would love to see a bit more of somehow. One of the new team members is convinced he is dreaming of living in a video game (a la "The Last of Us") and is ready to wake up and return to his wife and the "real world". It's an interesting psychosis with discussion potential all its own. ( )
  rencheple | Aug 26, 2016 |
This book is dedicated to Aislinn Suzanne Ellis, who had the excellent sense to be born while it was being written./ Welcome to the world, my dearest skeleton girl.

Worm implants awake!
But some become sleepwalkers.
Sal's worm stays awake.
(pickupsticks)

"THE SECOND BOOK IN MIRA GRANT'S TERRIFYING PARASITOLOGY SERIES. THE ENEMY IS INSIDE US. The SymboGen designed tapeworms were created to relieve humanity of disease and sickness. But the implants in the majority of the world's population began attacking their hosts turning them into a ravenous horde. Now those who do not appear to be afflicted are being gathered for quarantine as panic spreads, but Sal and her companions must discover how the tapeworms are taking over their hosts, what their eventual goal is, and how they can be stopped"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,684,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible