The Noisy Paint Box: The Colors and Sounds…

The Noisy Paint Box: The Colors and Sounds of Kandinsky's Abstract…

by Barb Rosenstock

This is a great book to introduce children to a unit on abstract art and to the work of Vasily Kandinsky in particular. Many children can relate to the story of Kandinsky's childhood and his efforts to do as he is told, practicing music, studying, and painting “normal” pictures. They may not understand the idea of Kadinsky hearing colors singing and seeing colors dancing. The author's note explains that Kandinsky may have had a "harmless genetic condition called synesthesia--one sense triggers another."
The vocabulary offers an opportunity to discuss some fun art terms ("snapping cerulean points," "crunching crimson squares", pistachio, cobalt, and saffron ) There are examples of Kandinsky's art, the author's note and a source list to help use this in the classroom. I think it's also great to share one-on-one and discuss conformity/nonconformity and how not doing everything "properly" is okay for some people sometimes. ( )
  terran | Mar 28, 2015 |
This book makes readers feel the way Kandinsky’s desired those to view his art, with feeling. It is frustrating watching Kandinsky fight against the norm to paint what he desires. Years of back and forth back and forth doing what is expected of him and what he actually wants to do take the reader on a roller coaster journey. And ultimately the reader is left with a feeling of satisfaction seeing a young boy, like themselves, become a man and achieve his childhood dream. He created his own art, and the world took notice of him.
This book is an encouragement to young readers to walk to the beat of their own drum. Kandinsky created and made what is now known as abstract art. This was something the world wasn't used to but something Kandinsky knew he believed in. With vivid colors the book expresses his art work and mind perfectly. ( )
  crieder95 | Mar 23, 2015 |
I gave this book 5 stars because it is a brilliant story. Who doesn't love Kandinsky art? I plan to purchase this book for my classroom library. It would be a great book to read before doing a Kandinsky inspired art lesson. ( )
  ramfam5 | Mar 15, 2015 |
I loved this book! What an interesting account of Kandinsky's life and syndrome that he had. I used this book as a springboard for an art project and lesson on poetry. There are many life lessons to learn through this book! Through the use of the picture book, we explored the interesting life and condition Vasily Kandinsky had. We looked at some of his most famous pieces and discussed "abstract". We focused on the fact that Kandinsky believed that art should make you FEEL! We discussed how Kandinsky's pieces made us feel as we explored the colors he used. I was also very adamant about the fact that there were no wrong answers. We see what WE see, and we feel what WE feel. This is a story that I am sure my students will remember forever. ( )
  HeidiJones | Mar 15, 2015 |
Noisy Paint Box is another great addition to any classroom because it emphasizes the beauty and creation of abstract art. The Noisy Paint box tells the story of Vasya Kandinsky, a boy who is proper and meets all expectations of his parents and teachers. One day, he opens his paint box and begins to combine colors of paint and realizes that he begins to rich sounds from the colors he is creating. As he grows older, he must decide whether to continue meeting the expectations of his parents and society and continue to paint portraits and still life, or paint the abstract sounds that he hears coming from the beautiful paints in his box. This book is a great introduction into the creation of abstract art as well as the importance of following your heart. Students are introduced to one of the first artist to create abstract images and the illustrations in the book match the quality of Kandinskys’ original art. Bright paper collages and paint fill the entire page with color which will inspire students to not only read the book but also be inspired by the art inside.
  laineyh | Mar 15, 2015 |

Vasya Kandinsky was a proper little boy: he studied math and history, he practiced the piano, he sat up straight and was perfectly polite. And when his family sent him to art classes, they expected him to paint pretty houses and flowers—like a proper artist.

But as Vasya opened his paint box and began mixing the reds, the yellows, the blues, he heard a strange sound—the swirling colors trilled like an orchestra tuning up for a symphony! And as he grew older, he continued to hear brilliant colors singing and see vibrant sounds dancing. But was Vasya brave enough to put aside his proper still lifes and portraits and paint . . . music?

In this exuberant celebration of creativity, Barb Rosenstock and Mary GrandPré tell the fascinating story of Vasily Kandinsky, one of the very first painters of abstract art. Throughout his life, Kandinsky experienced colors as sounds, and sounds as colors—and bold, groundbreaking works burst forth from his noisy paint box.

Backmatter includes four paintings by Kandinsky, an author’s note, sources, links to websites on synesthesia and abstract art.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 13 Jan 2014 04:23:57 -0500)

Describes how his creative life was profoundly shaped by a neurological condition called synesthesia which caused him to experienced colors as sounds and sounds as colors.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,183,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible