Pretty Deadly #1 by Jordie Bellaire

Pretty Deadly #1 (edition 2013)

by Jordie Bellaire

Member:PostModernSleaze
Title:Pretty Deadly #1
Authors:Jordie Bellaire
Info:Image Comics (2013), Paperback, 32 pages
Rating:***
Tags:to-read, read-2015

Pretty Deadly #1 by Kelly Sue DeConnick

I found the first issue a bit confusing. It was like starting to read in the middle of a book and you got no clue to who all these characters are and what they are doing. But it all gets a lot better when you get to the next issue and the next, it's like a puzzle, first you have some pieces that fits together and slowly you are getting to see the image as more bits are fitting in. ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Pretty Deadly: Vol 1 is my first adventure into the "Weird Western" genre. I'll be honest, I'd never heard of this before I stumbled upon this book. It's apparently the combination of Western elements with another genre. In this case, that genre would probably be described as Fantasy. Something new for this bookworm, and I was definitely looking forward to seeing how it panned out.

The story is told in a fable format, through two narrators who are not quite what you'd expect. A lone butterfly, and his dead bunny friend, lead us through the tale of "Deathface Ginny", the daughter of death. Apparently she's the bringer of redemption. If you've been wronged, sing her song, and justice will come swiftly. Beautiful, isn't it? Poetic, in a way. Just like the words that tell the story.

If that had been all this novel was about, if Ginny had been the focus, I would have happily lost myself inside the pages. The problem was, that this volume is overstuffed with much more than just Ginny's story. The story arcs are all over the place, and I found myself more than once pausing on a page with the only thought in my head being "What on EARTH is going on right now?". So many people are introduced so quickly, that there wasn't much for me to cling to. I was just lost.

In truth, the rating for this graphic novel mainly comes from the illustrations. Let me tell you, they are just too gorgeous for words. The illustrators definitely brought their A-game to this story. With sweeping plains, crimson red blood, and a beautifully rendered Underworld, the panels beg you to keep reading on. No matter how confused I was, I still wanted to see what happened next. To turn the page to find out what breathtaking panel would be presented to me next. Massive amounts of love to you, illustrators. You bring this story to life.

Sadly, the illustrations can't carry the whole book. So I can only grant Pretty Deadly: Vol 1 two stars. I don't see myself continuing on with this series. I am, however, glad I dove into the "Weird Western" genre. I'll have to seek my next fix elsewhere. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
I think I would have liked this story more if I hadn't disliked the art so much. It was muddled and dark, with close up panels so unintelligible I didn't know what was going on half the time. Lines, lines, lines, everywhere. Not my favorite style. Not sure if I'll pick up the next trade paperback when it comes out. ( )
  MelissaLenhardt | Mar 11, 2018 |
Magic West, Death as a parent - good stuff. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
  | Feb 9, 2016 | edit |

DeConnick, Kelly Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ríos, EmmaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bellaire, Jordiesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ellis, SigridEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bellaire, JordieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cowles, ClaytonLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,561,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible