Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

When the Heart Cries by Cindy Woodsmall

When the Heart Cries

by Cindy Woodsmall

Good conflict and serious life issues, written in a believable way. It wasn't mushy. It had the feel of real Amish culture and real people. I like all the characters, but my favorites were the MC, Hannah Lapp and her friends, Mary and Matthew. The love and support the three gave each other through terrible trials is encouraging to everyone who reads it. It makes me want to be like them.

What I didn't like: a couple of situations were too obvious -- placed there by the author to build wrong impression (girl falls into boy and is seen by boy's girlfriend who imagines the worst - that kind of stuff), but it wasn't enough to take away from the book.

Overall, I REALLY, REALLY like it! Okay, I'm off to buy the next book in this series, "When the Morning Comes". I gotta find out what happens to Hannah Lapp! ( )
  DawnMHamsher | Oct 1, 2013 |
Cindy Woodsmall tackles a subject that is difficult to cope with in any place, but is doubly so in an Amish community: the violent rape of a young and innocent girl. While family members deny what has happened, indeed spreading untruths about her, Hannah grows to feel more alone and outcast. Angrily rejected by her fiancée and with only two friends who still believe her and believe in her, she realizes that the others, including her father and church leaders, will never forgive her but will always believe the attack to be her fault. To save her life, Hannah must break from her community, her family, and the old ways to become a new person, accepted for who she is. And she must do it alone. With well developed characters and an intriguing plot, this story is captivating from the very start. ( )
  Maydacat | Oct 5, 2012 |
Audiobook. I am fascinated by the Amish lifestyle, and I do occasionally appreciate an easy romance novel. Well, one of those was true. I enjoyed the reader very much; her tone is well suited to this novel. It's not quite the breezy romance I expected, but it is an interesting and absorbing story. Looking forward to the other two in the series! ( )
  CarolineNH | Oct 3, 2012 |
What that "unwelcome encounter" really is:

You know how books and movies often come with warnings for rape and violence? This one didn't come with a warning, and as a result I was very upset when I read what happened to Hannah. And I'm sorry if this spoils the book for people, but I wish somebody had spoiled me-- I might have skipped this series, or at least have been prepared when it happened.

I was VERY surprised. The story started off normally, but that "unwelcome encounter" (as it is called on the book's backcover) really surprised me. I really wasn't expecting something so horrible to happen, especially since the back cover really fails to impress upon you the terribleness of the situation. I don't know how anyone can call rape an "unwelcome encounter."

This is the reason for my low rating of the book. If I wanted to read a book about rape and recovery, I'd read it. And I have read it, as it is a subject visted again and again by countless authors. Because I understand that rape happens. I don't want to sweep it under the rug and never talk about it, or make victims feel like it was their fault--because it most definitely is not their fault. But I'm not sure I would have picked this up if I had known what was going to happen. I don't usually like to spend most of my reading with my eyes blurred from tears- which is what happened continuously as I read this.

Like the others, I'll be picking up the next book to find out what happens to Hannah, which I suppose was the author's goal.

But after this I won't be reading any more by this author. This book really turned me off and I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone looking for light-hearted Amish fiction. And isn't that why we read Amish fiction? To escape from our own world, to a place of kind and loving people who, while they have their own difficulties and struggles, fall in and out of love like the rest of us as they attempt to find their true place in lfe?

The sisters of the Quilt series continues with:
When the Morning Comes (Sisters of the Quilt, Book 2)
When the Soul Mends (Sisters of the Quilt, Book 3).

I can definitely recommend:
Hidden (Sisters of the Heart, Book 1),
Wanted (Sisters of the Heart, Book 2), and
The Parting (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, Book 1) ( )
  Kegsoccer | Jan 12, 2012 |
I had a very hard time reading this book. The Amish books I've read, and there haven't been many, always show a loving supportive family who have a strong faith and a bond that seems to be tight. This book, When the Heart Cries, isn't like that. You have an abusive father who controls his family through fear. A wife afraid of her husband and children (even the older ones) afraid of their father.

Hannah Lapp has a desire to escape the Amish community she was raised in and promises to marry a young Mennonite man before he heads off to finish his last year of college. The day he leaves Hannah walks home after telling him goodbye and ends up being viciously raped. Even with that I thought the book would only get better but when she arrives home, in shock, torn and shaking - her mother collapses, her father swears her to silence - so he can decide if he is going to tell the Bishop and tells her it is not their way to seek revenge by contacting the police. Not even to save another girl from going through what Hannah went through.

To top it off, Hannah now feels that Paul isn't going to want her if he finds out what happened to her. She withdraws to the bedroom and the top floor of the house and it isn't until her brother gets into a car-buggy accident and she and her mother go to the hospital to help him that she finds out that she has rights as a woman. Her family turns against her and Hannah is in a tailspin....

I think it's obvious I didn't care for this book. I found it really hard to read - the father more than any other character in the book bothered me and I would of liked to see him taken down a peg or two. Personally I don't think I would put this book out around your kids - unless it's a book that you and your daughters are reading together - but please don't read this until your girls are at least 16 years old. It is definitely not for younger teens - but for older kids it would be a good opportunity to discuss women's rights, safety and what to do in a bad situation. ( )
  tiinaj1 | Jan 2, 2012 |
To the one man I never wanted to live my life without, my staunchest support, my closest friend: my husband. With you, life is more than I ever thought possible. Thank you.
To my two oldest sons, who believed in me. You sacrificed your personal time to help with the needs of the household and took great care of your younger brother so I could write. Thank you. You also have my gratitude for keeping my computers and Internet in good running order in spite of my best attempts at sabotage.
To my youngest son, the radiant energy to each day. You never doubted I could do this. When I needed humor in this story, your imagination came to the rescue. May you one day write the stories of your heart.
To my new daughter-in-law, who has helped in hundreds of various ways. I'm so thankful you're now a permanent part of our lives.
And above all, to God, whose patience, love and forgiveness make every relationship possible. May I hear and respond to you and no other.
Hannah Lapp covered the basket of freshly gathered eggs with her hand, glanced behind her, and bolted down the dirt road.

Synopsis: When Hannah dares to love across the boundaries of tradition, will she lose everything? Despite being raised in a traditional Old Order Amish family, seventeen-year-old Hannah Lapp desires to break with custom, forgo baptism into the faith, and marry outside the cloistered community. She's been in love with Mennonite Paul Waddell for three years, and before returning to college for his senior year, Paul asks Hannah to be his wife. Hannah accepts, aware that her marriage will change her relationship with her family forever. On the evening of their engagement, tragedy strikes and in one unwelcome encounter, all that Hannah has known and believed is destroyed. As she finds herself entangled in questions that the Old Ways of her people cannot answer, Hannah faces the possibility of losing her place in her family, in her community- and in the heart of the man she loves.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:32 -0400)

Hannah Lapp, a seventeen-year-old who had been raised in a traditional Old Order Amish family, wants to break with tradition and marry outside the sheltered community, but on a quiet night before Hannah and Mennonite Paul Waddell can be married, tragedy strikes and Hannah faces losing her place in the community forever.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,700,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible