World of Shawn by Jordan M Ehrlich

World of Shawn

by Jordan M Ehrlich

English (28)  German (1)  All (29)
One review said that this is a nice original take on parallel universe. I do agree. A parallel universe where the characters in your favorite video game come to life and become part of your reality. I think it would be nice if a handsome prince or hero comes to life and becomes your hero. But what if it's dragons and evil villains wrecking havoc? Doesn't sound fun, does it?

If you are into game developing and online gaming, you would definitely like or have a blast with this book. Me? I was not so keen. I admit, the idea is great. Very unique. But I was just not so sold on it. One reason is that it was a bit hard to keep up or it gets confusing when you are dealing with multiple clones of the fictional video game character. There were times that I was lost on who was being referred to--the real life Shawn or the video game character. The distinction was not so clear so it was easy to get lost and not follow the movement of the characters. I wish the writing was a little smoother so the confusion could have been avoided. I did get the gist of the whole story but I wished it was more. It just did not allow me to get involved.

I give this 2/5 computer monitors. I guess, this story is just not for me. I was not drawn into this parallel universe and I was not moved to participate. I guess, being unable to clearly and thoroughly picture out the scenes in this story contributed to it.

Thanks again, Library Thing for the review copy.

Quantum physics, especially quantum computing, is much an unknown branch of science. It turns existing physics and science on its head; the possibilities are exciting--extremely efficient computing...teleportation, even time travel; we really don't know what all this can or can't do.
- Jordan M. Elrich, World of Shawn - ( )
  iamnotabookworm | Jun 19, 2017 |
This book is about a guy who creates a program that takes over real life. The technical aspects in the book were fine. I quite enjoyed that part of it. But I just didn’t feel any empathy for the characters. More books of this nature would be good, if more emphasis could be put on making the characters believable. ( )
  somethingblanc | Feb 17, 2017 |
Not available on KU so probably got it from freebie site or even a couple that get books to read for possible review now and then. Suppose it's a LitRPG type story, so could be for even teens, didn't seem to be anything 'bad' and/or graphic, but nice entertaining story.Bit strange story with even stranger ending, but again entertaining. LitRPG ( )
1 vote Key_Largo | Jan 23, 2017 |
Please note: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The World of Shawn is an interesting story that's equal parts MMO, coding and teen romance. I've always wanted to see more of these stories because I think that the social aspect of MMOs are understated - with that said, I don't know how representative this book is of either the current MMO playerbase (People in the same room as each other? Preposterous!) or attitudes to coding (although I would love to just type in all of the potential commands into a game engine to have it work out the best-world scenario implementations).

The book became confusing around halfway through with the introduction of new characters with confusing naming conventions. Developments in the storyline made it hard to work out who had done what, so I found myself skimming looking to pick up what was happening, to no avail.

I like the thought behind this book. I think that the programming was a great element, if a little distracting at times - it's hard to juxtapose code implementation and debugging with teen romance - and it feels like the author was more interested in that aspect than the YA part.

Overall it was a good read. It's hard to say I felt satisfied by the ending because, well, it's just confusing. I think this book had a lot of promise, and with time the author will get better. I'm not sure I would recommend this story, but I would be interested to see what Ehrlich had to offer in future. ( )
1 vote NotaTurnip | Dec 7, 2016 |
I liked the first half of this book, but reading the last 30 pages,i got really lost. I felt like i missed a few chapters and it got really confusing. ( )
  jenny_acc | Dec 1, 2016 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Jordan M Ehrlich's book World of Shawn was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Jordan M Ehrlich is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,153,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible