World of Shawn by Jordan M Ehrlich

World of Shawn

by Jordan M Ehrlich

English (27)  German (1)  All (28)
This book is about a guy who creates a program that takes over real life. The technical aspects in the book were fine. I quite enjoyed that part of it. But I just didn’t feel any empathy for the characters. More books of this nature would be good, if more emphasis could be put on making the characters believable. ( )
  somethingblanc | Feb 17, 2017 |
Not available on KU so probably got it from freebie site or even a couple that get books to read for possible review now and then. Suppose it's a LitRPG type story, so could be for even teens, didn't seem to be anything 'bad' and/or graphic, but nice entertaining story.Bit strange story with even stranger ending, but again entertaining. LitRPG ( )
1 vote Key_Largo | Jan 23, 2017 |
Please note: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The World of Shawn is an interesting story that's equal parts MMO, coding and teen romance. I've always wanted to see more of these stories because I think that the social aspect of MMOs are understated - with that said, I don't know how representative this book is of either the current MMO playerbase (People in the same room as each other? Preposterous!) or attitudes to coding (although I would love to just type in all of the potential commands into a game engine to have it work out the best-world scenario implementations).

The book became confusing around halfway through with the introduction of new characters with confusing naming conventions. Developments in the storyline made it hard to work out who had done what, so I found myself skimming looking to pick up what was happening, to no avail.

I like the thought behind this book. I think that the programming was a great element, if a little distracting at times - it's hard to juxtapose code implementation and debugging with teen romance - and it feels like the author was more interested in that aspect than the YA part.

Overall it was a good read. It's hard to say I felt satisfied by the ending because, well, it's just confusing. I think this book had a lot of promise, and with time the author will get better. I'm not sure I would recommend this story, but I would be interested to see what Ehrlich had to offer in future. ( )
1 vote NotaTurnip | Dec 7, 2016 |
I liked the first half of this book, but reading the last 30 pages,i got really lost. I felt like i missed a few chapters and it got really confusing. ( )
  jenny_acc | Dec 1, 2016 |
World of Shawn was a fun and fascinating read. I was intrigued by the comparison to LOTR, Narnia, and Harry Potter, some of my favorite books, and found Ehrlich’s offer of a new world too good an offer to pass up. He succeeded brilliantly. I loved how he found a way to import maps into his game, making it possible for future users to shape the game to their own specifications. Even more than that, I loved the connection between the video game worlds and the real world, making the video game maps accessible in the real world and the real world a part of the game, simultaneously. Well done.

I also enjoyed the interaction between the two boys, Shawn and Victor. Their geek-out moments were what I would expect from my brother and other friends who are better at in-game interactions than navigating the outside world. Both the dialogues and pranks were convincing. Another aspect I thought was well written was the way Sarah quoted scripture as she battled Abaddon. It was surprising to see him quoting it back at her as well. I have only seen John Bunyan and Madeleine L’Engle do this as seamlessly. I wish there was a better explanation (perhaps to Sarah) of who Abaddon was and why scripture mattered in this scenario.

I do have several critiques, however. I agree with many of the other reviewers that there was too much technical language for those of us who do not understand computer programming or quantum physics. Perhaps this could be explained a little more thoroughly or some details omitted. I was not convinced by how quickly Sarah was able to forgive the offenses against her or how easily she was able to believe her boyfriend was actually the bad guy. I’m sure every guy wishes girls were so simple and reasonable, but I find this highly unlikely. I think she would have stayed ticked off much longer and needed both time and additional explanation to accept that the world was so different than she had known it to be. Similarly, the way Steven was written out of the story was a little too convenient, and also unclear. It sounded like initially Shawn didn’t know what had happened to him, but then later he was afraid to tell Sarah. Details like that need to be clear and consistent, and a little more complicated. Why did the dog come back, but not Steven? Finally, chapter 18 and the epilogue didn’t really fit with the rest of the story and made the ending hard to follow and slightly awkward. This would have been great to introduce as book 2, stretching out the telling of this part of the story, and leaving the book with Chapter 17 as the happy ending.

I genuinely hope Ehrlich continues writing and am looking forward to reading more of his imaginative stories in the future.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
1 vote Constant2m | Nov 25, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,901,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible