The Widow's House (The Dagger and the…

The Widow's House (The Dagger and the Coin) (edition 2014)

by Daniel Abraham (Author)

192992,296 (3.88)16
Member:elizabeth1982
Title:The Widow's House (The Dagger and the Coin)
Authors:Daniel Abraham (Author)
Info:Orbit (2014), 544 pages
Collections:Wishlist

The Widow's House by Daniel Abraham

Plot starts to move a bit faster in the 4th book. Still find the short chapters frustrating but am eager to finish the series now. ( )
  infjsarah | Mar 9, 2019 |
THE RISE OF THE DRAGON AND THE FALL OF KINGS Lord Regent Geder Palliako's war has led his nation and the priests of the spider goddess to victory after victory. No power has withstood him, except for the heart of the one woman he desires. As the violence builds and the cracks in his rule begin to show, he will risk everything to gain her love or else her destruction. Clara Kalliam, the loyal traitor, is torn between the woman she once was and the woman she has become. With her sons on all sides of the conflict, her house cannot stand, but there is a power in choosing when and how to fall. And in Porte Oliva, banker Cithrin bel Sarcour and Captain Marcus Wester learn the terrible truth that links this war to the fall of the dragons millennia before, and that to save the world, Cithrin must conquer it.
  buffygurl | Mar 8, 2019 |
Another thrilling installment in this series. As always, Abraham has an excellent hand with pacing. The plot is unpredictable in ways that fit within the world he's created. The characterizations of most of the characters are adept and fully invested. Can't wait for the next one. Somewhat surprised with the way Clara's story went, but I don't think we've seen the last of her. I love that there is a dragon that isn't the center of the story yet has a character that's really fun to read. ( )
  alexezell | Nov 14, 2018 |
The Widow's House by Daniel Abraham is the fourth in The Dagger and the Coin series. Thankfully the story picks up immediately after book three . There is absolutely no way to talk about this book without spoilers.

The spider goddess has lead Lord Regent Geder Palliako's army to victory after impossible victory. Nothing has been able to stand against him except the one woman he desires above all others. He will risk anything to gain her love even if it means destroying everything in his path. Clara Kalliam attempts to keep a balance between being loyal to her nation and undermining it's tyrant ruler while her family stands on both sides of the conflict is a dangerous road to walk. Cithrin bel Sarcour has escaped back to the relative safety of Port Oliva. If only she can figure out a way for the bank to assist in the war efforts without losing everything. Marcus Wester's quest has led to a terrible truth, one that will rewrite history and may help turn the tide in the battle to come.

I am amazed at what Abraham has managed to pull off. He has challenged the traditional Epic Fantasy standard that wars are fought with armies and weapons and I am absolutely loving it. How do you win the war if you can't field a bigger army? If you don't like the game it's time to change the rules and that's exactly what he's done. It's brilliant. His commentary on the banking industry echos reality in an uncomfortable way. "Buying and selling with letters of transfer seems new and frightening to them now, but in three, four, five years, it will be commonplace. All of our partners and debtors will have been using them. The throne will have backed them for years. And when that happens, if that happens, we've become the keepers of the king's debt."

"If we're the king's debt, then we're the king."

The character arcs are fantastic as always. Marcus had my favorite story line this time around. And how could he not! Inys is an amazing addition to the series. Learning the true history of the past from one who was there, along with Kit's insight into the spiders, is powerful stuff and a big key to turning the tide. Cithrin's story was right behind his considering how much they overlap. Regarding Clara, I am a tad disappointed that the first half of Clara's perspective is mostly to show us what's happening with the war on the ground than the wonderful schemes she was working on in the previous book. I get that the perspective was needed, it's just that I truly enjoyed how she balances civic duty against family loyalty against the bigger picture. She ends up in a good place though and I can't wait to see that meeting in book five. That leaves Geder. I still have some hope that he might be redeemable. He performs some acts of true caring and compassion mixed in with the tyranny and obsession of the Spider priests. There is also a hint that maybe he knows deep down that things are very wrong even if he can't currently admit or change his actions.

This was such a satisfying read. The tension is ramping up and things are getting more complex. I am excited to see how this all resolves in the final book. ( )
1 vote Narilka | May 3, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book, especially Cithrin and Clara. It's always refreshing to read fantasies where there are strong women who act as equals with the men within the story. I am hoping that if/when there is a 5th book to this series, my library buys a copy or 2 so I can read it. This series still bugs me for the fact that the characters of not always very well described, and the races in these books really don't look just like ordinary humans, at least not most of them. The cheat-sheet appendices in the back of each book are better than nothing, but I wish this author could work to develop his descriptions a bit better so that we could 'see' his less human-like characters through what he writes in his text without needing to use a reference from an appendix. I still, after 2 books and over 800 pages, really don't know what some of the people in these books look like, beyond that they don't look particularly human. Still, the story is good, and maybe if the author gets a chance he can get an artist to work with him to create a world-guide book like those that sprang up around the Wheel of time series, so he can illustrate the races and cities and other interesting features of his world where we can see them. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |

Daniel Abrahamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Roberts, ChadMapsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031620398X, Paperback)

THE RISE OF THE DRAGON AND THE FALL OF KINGS

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:56 -0400)

"THE RISE OF THE DRAGON AND THE FALL OF KINGS Lord Regent Geder Palliako's war has led his nation and the priests of the spider goddess to victory after victory. No power has withstood him, except for the heart of the one woman he desires. As the violence builds and the cracks in his rule begin to show, he will risk everything to gain her love or else her destruction. Clara Kalliam, the loyal traitor, is torn between the woman she once was and the woman she has become. With her sons on all sides of the conflict, her house cannot stand, but there is a power in choosing when and how to fall. And in Porte Oliva, banker Cithrin bel Sarcour and Captain Marcus Wester learn the terrible truth that links this war to the fall of the dragons millennia before, and that to save the world, Cithrin must conquer it"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,761,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible