The Queen's Exiles (Thornleigh Saga) by…

The Queen's Exiles (Thornleigh Saga)

by Barbara Kyle

READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, thank you!

I wanted to read this book, because I'd seen it's set in the Netherlands (well, actually nowadays Flanders; but 16th century Netherlands). Apparently is also the sixth book in a series of stand-alone novel around British Pirate Baron Adam Tornleigh. (I haven't read any of the other books in the series).

This was a book with people not getting to safety when they could. A lot. Stubbornness and some times plain stupidity. However, the book was quite enjoyable. During the reign of terror of the Duke of Alba, will they save the Netherlands? Political intrigue, executions, pirates, it's all there. So far, so good.

The romance plot line worked less for me. I don't like love triangles. Confusing at best, it felt unnecessary most of the time. The solution given at the end of the story was somewhat hilarious (not in a positive way). It was a bit weird to read all kinds of Dutch words in an English books, but I think most of the time I didn't even noticed. It's a quick read, but nothing really special. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
The Queen's Exiles refer to Adam Thornleigh and Fenella Doorn during Queen Elizabeth's reign. Adam is estranged from his wife Frances and she has taken their two children and hidden them from Adam with the Duke of Alba, a man who is slaughtering the Dutch people for the King of Spain . Fenella is a widow who has her own business on the island of Sark, off the coast of France, salvaging sea going vessels. Adam and Fenella met years previously in an earlier novel in the Thorleigh saga. They meet again when Adam's ship comes into the port of Sark needing repairs. Surprising events have thrown these two people together again in a fun reading experience.

In this novel, Spain has taken over the Netherlands and there are plots afoot to try to put Queen Mary back on England's throne, while Adam tries to get his children away from his wife, Fenella becomes his accomplice in this harrowing continuation of an awesome series. There are some returning characters Adam’s sister, Isabel and her husband Carlos Valverde plus some new ones including the Sea Beggars and the Brethren, people who are fighting against Spain and its cruelty's against the Dutch people.

I have only read about three of the novels in this series but that did not deter me from enjoying this historical fiction story that encompasses my favorite time in Tudor history. I would recommend starting the series from book one but it is not really necessary although it would help to keep the many characters and story-lines straight. This is a story of treason, political machinations, loyalty and finally love. I look forward to the continuing Thornleigh saga, I highly recommend this series if you are a fan of historical fiction by an accomplished author. ( )
  celticlady53 | Jul 24, 2014 |
This is, I believe, the third of the Thornleigh Series books that I have read. Each can easily stand alone but all do tie in with family characters that come and go from book to book. Sometimes playing major roles, other times playing supporting roles. With having read the two previous books it was rather like settling in to a familiar place.

This novel explores a bit of Tudor history with which I was not overly familiar so it made for interesting reading. I admit to not being well versed in the goings on outside of England when the plots to remove Elizabeth from the throne were swirling about so this tale of the roving Dutch pirates for lack of a better word was fascinating. It was a dangerous time for both sides - not knowing who could be trusted.

I enjoyed the book and read it pretty much in one sitting - although I read through quite a few books in short order when I hurt my leg but that doesn't mean I found them all as interesting as this one. I really enjoyed the romance between the the two leads and the suspense in the story. All in all another great installment in the series and I look forward to the next one. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Jul 14, 2014 |

Barbara Kyle is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,655,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible