Blood, Sweat and Tea by Tom Reynolds

Blood, Sweat and Tea (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Tom Reynolds

Member:SallyApollon
Title:Blood, Sweat and Tea
Authors:Tom Reynolds
Info:Harpercollins Pb (2006), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***

Blood, Sweat, and Tea: Real-Life Adventures in an Inner-City Ambulance by Tom Reynolds (2006)

This book is an eye opener to how the emergency services conduct business. Humorous because doing this job you have to be. Cantankerous because doing this job you have to be. Tears of laughter and tears of sympathy. A first class read. ( )
  Mike-Fitzgibbons | Jun 9, 2013 |
Although I do not work for the NHS I found this a great insight into what they face each day and the sacrifices made often without thanks. I'm looking forward to reading the next one. ( )
  ClareHatt | Jun 8, 2013 |
Really interesting read that gives an insight into the life of an inner-city ambulance driver. I think the posts aren't completely linear as they seem to refer to things that happened in the first half of the book as if it were yesterday. So at some points it feels a bit disjointed. ( )
  MarkTJones | Mar 30, 2013 |
Taken from a blog, reads like a blog. No points for style, but intriguing if you like these kind of tales, good for dipping in & out of. ( )
  SallyApollon | Nov 11, 2012 |
Recommended by a friend, this was very much a random choice of reading material, and I am glad I chose it. It is a collection of blog-posts written by an employee of the London Ambulance Service. Through the posts, which are generally only a page or two long, the writer recounts regular, less regular, and rather irregular experiences he has had while on the job. Part of the reason I liked this book was the 'behind the scenes' look it gave at the ambulance service. If anything, it has reassured me that the Ambulance Service are dedicated people who know what they are doing, will help in the best way they can, and will, most of the time, provide an excellent service.

On the flip-side, large parts of this book are also very scary, disturbing, and incredibly dark to someone like me. While told in a factual, non-tabloid, manner, stories from real life about dead babies, heart attacks and crying relatives are never pleasant to read. Of course, the book also has its share of light-heartedness, and stories with happy endings. Overall I guess the book paints a picture of reality, with all the shades that go along with that. The book is very well written, rarely gets repetitive, and often got my heart beating faster as I wondered what the outcome of a particular 'job' was going to be. If you think you might like a book with real stories from an employee in the ambulance service, you will really like this book. If you don't, you might not. Either way, with a bit of Googling it is available (legally) as a free ebook, so you might as well give it a try. ( )
  clq | Jul 19, 2012 |

Is contained in

Yesterday started well, we had the only new 'yellow' vehicle on the complex, and it really is an improvement on the old motors. But then we got a job that should have been routine, but unfortunately was not.

An alluring mix of humor, bravery, cynicism, and compassion." --London Daily Telegraph

It's the stuff of Grey's Anatomy, House, and ER--only these events aren't unfolding on a Hollywood soundstage.

Have you ever wondered what's going on inside the ambulance screaming past you during your rush-hour commute? Since 2003, Tom Reynolds (writing under an alias so as not to get sacked from his job), has kept a blog where he chronicles the day-in, day-out realities of his life on the job as an EMT with the London Ambulance Service.

By turns both poignant and profound, Reynolds's writing captures the very essence of life and death. From the mundane to the surreal, from the heartwarming to the cynical, from the calm to the frenetic, more than 300 entries from his popular blog at randomreality.blogware.com are included in the book.

Dear Mr. Alcoholic:

Would you mind awfully not swearing at me, taking a swing at me, or exposing yourself to me? I have quite enough abuse from the nondrunks out there. . . . Still, at least your fists are easy to dodge, and if I stop holding you up, you fall over.

The author's hugely popular blog, Random Acts of Reality, has been named Medgadget Best Medical Blog and Best Literary Medical Blog.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:19 -0400)

Meet Tom Reynolds. Tom is an Emergency Medical Technician who works for the London Ambulance Service in East London. He has kept a blog of his daily working life since 2003 and his award-winning writing is, by turns, moving, cynical, funny, heart-rending and compassionate.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Blood, Sweat, and Tea: Real-Life Adventures in an Inner-City Ambulance by Tom Reynolds was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible