Blood, Sweat and Tea by Tom Reynolds

Blood, Sweat and Tea (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Tom Reynolds

Member:SallyApollon
Title:Blood, Sweat and Tea
Authors:Tom Reynolds
Info:Harpercollins Pb (2006), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***

Blood, Sweat, and Tea: Real-Life Adventures in an Inner-City Ambulance by Tom Reynolds (2006)

A fascinating look at the front line of the UK's emergency care. ( )
  themus | Aug 2, 2014 |
This book is an eye opener to how the emergency services conduct business. Humorous because doing this job you have to be. Cantankerous because doing this job you have to be. Tears of laughter and tears of sympathy. A first class read. ( )
  Mike-Fitzgibbons | Jun 9, 2013 |
Although I do not work for the NHS I found this a great insight into what they face each day and the sacrifices made often without thanks. I'm looking forward to reading the next one. ( )
  ClareHatt | Jun 8, 2013 |
Really interesting read that gives an insight into the life of an inner-city ambulance driver. I think the posts aren't completely linear as they seem to refer to things that happened in the first half of the book as if it were yesterday. So at some points it feels a bit disjointed. ( )
  MarkTJones | Mar 30, 2013 |
Taken from a blog, reads like a blog. No points for style, but intriguing if you like these kind of tales, good for dipping in & out of. ( )
  SallyApollon | Nov 11, 2012 |

Is contained in

Yesterday started well, we had the only new 'yellow' vehicle on the complex, and it really is an improvement on the old motors. But then we got a job that should have been routine, but unfortunately was not.

An alluring mix of humor, bravery, cynicism, and compassion." --London Daily Telegraph

It's the stuff of Grey's Anatomy, House, and ER--only these events aren't unfolding on a Hollywood soundstage.

Have you ever wondered what's going on inside the ambulance screaming past you during your rush-hour commute? Since 2003, Tom Reynolds (writing under an alias so as not to get sacked from his job), has kept a blog where he chronicles the day-in, day-out realities of his life on the job as an EMT with the London Ambulance Service.

By turns both poignant and profound, Reynolds's writing captures the very essence of life and death. From the mundane to the surreal, from the heartwarming to the cynical, from the calm to the frenetic, more than 300 entries from his popular blog at randomreality.blogware.com are included in the book.

Dear Mr. Alcoholic:

Would you mind awfully not swearing at me, taking a swing at me, or exposing yourself to me? I have quite enough abuse from the nondrunks out there. . . . Still, at least your fists are easy to dodge, and if I stop holding you up, you fall over.

The author's hugely popular blog, Random Acts of Reality, has been named Medgadget Best Medical Blog and Best Literary Medical Blog.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:19 -0400)

Meet Tom Reynolds. Tom is an Emergency Medical Technician who works for the London Ambulance Service in East London. He has kept a blog of his daily working life since 2003 and his award-winning writing is, by turns, moving, cynical, funny, heart-rending and compassionate.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Blood, Sweat, and Tea: Real-Life Adventures in an Inner-City Ambulance by Tom Reynolds was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,789,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible