The Second Machine Age: Work, Progress, and…

The Second Machine Age: Work, Progress, and Prosperity in a Time of… (original 2014; edition 2016)

by Erik Brynjolfsson (Author)

Member:JamesLibrary
Title:The Second Machine Age: Work, Progress, and Prosperity in a Time of Brilliant Technologies
Authors:Erik Brynjolfsson (Author)
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2016), Edition: 1, 336 pages

The Second Machine Age: Work, Progress, and Prosperity in a Time of Brilliant Technologies by Erik Brynjolfsson (2014)

English (14)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All (16)
More economics than technology
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
Technical Library - shelved at: C11
  HB-Library-159 | Oct 19, 2016 |
How has technology affected human culture and economics? How will the rapid progress of digital technology do so in the future? These are the questions this book attempts to answer, albeit not in any great depth. Primarily it's about the economic impact of increased productivity due to automation. It highlights some likely challenges ahead (such as unemployment and the growing spread in wealth between capital owners and people who work for a living), and it offers suggestions on how those can be met. I can't say it brings up any major points I have not thought of before, and my only real disappointment in this book is that it offers nothing truly bold, insightful, or innovative. Still, it is a good read. I recommend it. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
The purpose of the book is to talk about how machines are and will change our lifestyle in the coming years. With Internet of Things being on the rise, I do see things change very drastically (in a positive way) for us very soon. I was impressed by the 'second half of the chessboard' analogy. I could relate to it being in the technology field myself.

The authors hint at improving productivity - throughput per worker - in the early chapters as a means of achieving this. Higher levels of computation, digitization, and recombinant innovation are the tools that are making these breakthroughs happen.

They do place an emphasis on better learning techniques, both in school and after. A mention of MOOCs and the way students can make the most of it was definitely a revival for me as I've read it earlier in other books.

Few of things mentioned in the book that the authors think as 'wonders of the future' are actually happening right now, but that could be my timing of reading the book. ( )
  nmarun | Aug 31, 2016 |
Insightful, great walkthrough on the potential impact of the internet. ( )
  AllInStride | Apr 20, 2016 |
The strength of “The Second Machine Age” is how it weaves macro- and microeconomics with insights from a wide range of other disciplines into an accessible and convincing story.

In the Second Machine Age, though, argues Brynjolfsson, “we are beginning to automate a lot more cognitive tasks, a lot more of the control systems that determine what to use that power for. In many cases today artificially intelligent machines can make better decisions than humans.”

Erik Brynjolfssonprimary authorall editionscalculated
McAfee, Andrewmain authorall editionsconfirmed

A revolution is under way.

In recent years, Google’s autonomous cars have logged thousands of miles on American highways and IBM’s Watson trounced the best human Jeopardy! players. Digital technologies—with hardware, software, and networks at their core—will in the near future diagnose diseases more accurately than doctors can, apply enormous data sets to transform retailing, and accomplish many tasks once considered uniquely human.

In The Second Machine Age MIT’s Erik Brynjolfsson and Andrew McAfee—two thinkers at the forefront of their field—reveal the forces driving the reinvention of our lives and our economy. As the full impact of digital technologies is felt, we will realize immense bounty in the form of dazzling personal technology, advanced infrastructure, and near-boundless access to the cultural items that enrich our lives.

Amid this bounty will also be wrenching change. Professions of all kinds—from lawyers to truck drivers—will be forever upended. Companies will be forced to transform or die. Recent economic indicators reflect this shift: fewer people are working, and wages are falling even as productivity and profits soar.

Drawing on years of research and up-to-the-minute trends, Brynjolfsson and McAfee identify the best strategies for survival and offer a new path to prosperity. These include revamping education so that it prepares people for the next economy instead of the last one, designing new collaborations that pair brute processing power with human ingenuity, and embracing policies that make sense in a radically transformed landscape.

A fundamentally optimistic book, The Second Machine Age will alter how we think about issues of technological, societal, and economic progress.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:43 -0400)

A pair of technology experts describe how humans will have to keep pace with machines in order to become prosperous in the future and identify strategies and policies for business and individuals to use to combine digital processing power with human ingenuity.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,935,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible