Lords of the White Castle by Elizabeth…

Lords of the White Castle

by Elizabeth Chadwick

The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell (caimanjosh)
    caimanjosh: Elizabeth Chadwick strikes me as providing the female perspective on medieval England, while Bernard Cornwell provides a decidedly masculine perspective. Both authors succeed in writing highly entertaining historical fiction with a strong sense of the time period. If you like one, it's definitely worth trying the other.… (more)

English (16)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All (18)
This is book 2 in the FitzWaren novels, but you do not need to have read book 1 to follow along. This is the story about Fulke FitzWarin who likes his father wants his land and castle back.

Another book where King John is a total ass, honestly this guy deserve a kick in the behind. Fulke and prince John gets in a fight at 15 and hates each other for the rest of their lives. As all this happened a long time ago, and legends grow, we can't know it all. But yes I can see it happening like this. Later on Fulke becomes an outlaw when the now King John is a total asshat.

Fulke is, well a man oh his time. He can be so stubborn at times, a right idiot. But he loves his family. He sure wants Whittington back and he is a man of honor. And I liked how he went up against King John, now that is how a legend is made.

It was a hard time, but a great time to read about. You know it's good when I have to go google different people I read about,´even though I have googled them before.

An interesting story, but I must admit I wish the could have ended it a bit before the end. I did not need to know that which I shall not say. Then again, I had already read Chadwick's own words so I knew what would happen. But I like the illusion of everyone staying young and happy.

History at it's best. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
Another beauty by Elizabeth Chadwick. This woman just knows so well how to transport her readers to another time and place, all the while sucking them into a fantastic story and making them love the characters in it.

The author does another number on her readers as she transports them back in time to medieval England and Wales, to the turbulent time of King John and Richard the Lion-Hearted. She uses small details woven throughout the narrative to create a sensual experience and treat for her reader's senses. You don't just read the story; you live it. From the misty hills of Wales to the tense world of the Angevin court to the everyday life of a medieval keep, Elizabeth will make the surroundings in her books just leap off the page and into your brain, there to stay far after you've finished reading.

Another thing I loved, that is so common in Chadwick's work, is how three-dimensional her characters are. Filled with virtues and foibles alike, the people that populate her pages seem like real people that could walk into your front door and say hi (maybe ignore the chainmail and crown though LOL). I think I especially liked Maude, her main heroine. She can be unforgiving and blind to some of life's circumstances. Yet, she's also a damn brave woman who protects those she loves and is loyal till the sun dies out. And besides, who doesn't love a medieval woman who can whip out a bow and shoot down a bad guy just as well as embroider a stitch?!

And then there's the story. And what a story! I think I got more enjoyment out of it, knowing that parts of it were true. With a few similarities to the Robin Hood legend, Chadwick weaves a story that makes her readers so engaged with characters and their fates that they don't want to stop reading, ever! I like how the author did engage some Robin Hood similarities, but they were few and far between. The actual meat of the story was very different. Survival, betrayal, love, loyalty, and a bunch of dudes riding around in armor and waving swords around... What's not to love?!

This book has just given me another example of how well Elizabeth Chadwick can write. She excels at historical setting world-building, characterization, and telling a story that keeps her readers engaged like nobody's business. If you want a historical novel that will sweep you off your feet, read this one! ( )
  Sarah_Gruwell | Jan 13, 2016 |
Another great read from Elizabeth Chadwick she never disappoints. ( )
  alisonb60 | Jul 4, 2014 |
Chadwick's writing is masterful and I appreciated very much the follow-up chapter of the 'real' facts and her research into Fulke Fitzwarin. The book has a definite "Robin Hood" feel because of the three years Fulke must live as an outlaw. It was a privilege to be invited into the lives of Fulke and Maude, to witness the birth of their children, to worry and wonder if the "family keep" (Whittington Castle) would ever come back into the Fitzwarin family, to grieve when death came to the family, to rejoice when joy crept back in. The herbal medicine element appealed to me very much as well - woven in deftly throughout. A satisfying ending was written for the book and I like to think of Fulke still out there, carrying on. ( )
  patricia_poland | Apr 27, 2014 |
The Outlaw Knight is the continuation of the FitzWaren family saga begun in Shadows and Strongholds. You do not have to have read the first book to appreciate this one. This book follows Fulke FitzWarin from a young man in the service of Prince John to his years rebelling against King John when what he feels is his rightful inheritance is being kept from him.

Young Fulke is removed from John's service but not from court. He rises in the service of Theobald Walter and ultimately ends up marrying his widow despite John's competing interest. No matter where he turns he finds things going against him until he finally snaps and he becomes that outlaw knight. Will it ruin his family?

There is one thing you can count on with any Elizabeth Chadwick book and that is attention to the smallest detail of the period be it attire, food or accommodations. This is why I love her books so very much; I know that once I begin to read I will soon find myself lost in the medieval world. I will almost smell the aromas and feel the materials yet she does it in a manner so smooth and so masterful you hardly realize it's happening. I feel as if I'm in the middle of a movie in my head and re-entering the modern world is always jarring.

Fulke's was a good story but he didn't thrill me as much as other characters from the pen of Ms. Chadwick hence the 4.5 stars instead of 5. A mild difference. I don't know what it was about him - the cover freaked me a bit, perhaps that didn't help. He just wasn't as heroic I suppose as his father Brunin or everyone's favorite knight, William Marshal. I still read the book over the course of two days so it's not like it was painful to read....I will pick up anything Ms. Chadwick writes because I know that when I do I am in for a magical experience. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Oct 23, 2013 |

Elizabeth Chadwickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Scott, ChristopherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Westminster, 1184-- in the court of King Henry, playful competition is about to turn into something far more serious. Young courtier Fulke FitzWarin would not be an obvious companion for Prince John, but the boy from the Welsh Marches is there as a reward for his family's loyalty to the crown. The FitzWarins are as proud as they are true, and when Fulke is accused by John of cheating during a game of chess, he cannot help but respond. Thus begins a bitter rivalry that will resonate throughout their lives.

The FitzWarins dream of reclaiming their family estate and title, Lords of the White Castle. After this quarrel with Fulke, however, John's vindictiveness leads to Fulke renouncing his allegiance and becoming a rebel outlaw.

In romance, too, Fulke is no closer to fulfilling his heart's desire. A youthful dalliance means nothing compared to his love for the spirited Maude le Vavasour, but marriage in medieval England is more about alliance than about love, and Fulke can only watch helplessly as Maude's father arranges a more suitable match. After all, what can Fulke offer Maude apart from a lifetime on the run....

With all the intrigue and pageantry that bring the twelfth century vividly to life, this award-winning novelist spins us an irresistible tale of a deadly rivalry and an impossible love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:20 -0400)

Based on a remarkable true story of honour, treachery and love spanning the turbulent reigns of four great Mediaeval kings. Award-winning author Elizabeth Chadwick brings the thirteenth century vividly to life in the tale of Fulke FitzWarin. From inexperienced young courtier to powerful Marcher lord, from loyal knight to dangerous outlaw, from lover of many women to faithful husband, Fulke's life story bursts across the page in authentic detail. A violent quarrel with Prince John, later King John, disrupts Fulke's life ambition to become 'Lord of the White Castle' and leads him to rebel. There are perils for John at every turn. No less dramatic is the dangerous love that Fulke harbours for Maude Walter, a wealthy widow whom John wants for himself. Negotiating a maze of deceit, treachery and shifting political alliances Fulke's striving is rewarded, but success is precarious. Personal tragedy follows the turbulence of the Magna Carta rebellion, culminating in the destruction of everything for which Fulke has fought.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,885,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible