Love and War in the Apennines by Eric Newby

Love and War in the Apennines (1971)

by Eric Newby

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All (9)
Now that is what good wrting is all about. Such a limpid style; it flows along like a mountain stream. Newby relates his wartime experiences, from Operation Whynot in Sicily when he was captured, to his escape from an "orphanage" (prison camp) in northern Italy where he met Wanda who taught him some Italian, hiding out in the mountains and helped by the villagers who brought him food and built a hut for him. I was swept away by his story and even shed tears at the end. ( )
  overthemoon | Dec 4, 2016 |
I don't read a lot of memoirs but this was very enjoyable. Reading about the struggles of an escaped Prisoner of War who benefitted from the generosity of the local people was very heartwarming. It's an aspect of the war I'm not very familiar with, but nonetheless threatening. ( )
  ellohull | Feb 10, 2016 |
A footnote: The "Michael" mentioned in the opening chapters as Newby's companion in the POW camp was Michael Gilbert, the prolific author of mystery stories. One of Gilbert's books is set in a POW camp -- the US title is "The Danger Within," I believe the British title was different.
  sonofcarc | Jun 25, 2011 |
I devoured this book in just 24 hours and enjoyed every page. Eric Newby was captured in Italy after an abortive SAS style raid and spent several years as a prisoner of war – ironically he found his life partner in a little village in the mountains where the brave Italian villagers sheltered him and many, many other allied troops. Not a story that I have heard much about before – and nor had the author, so, as he explains, he wrote this book. He seems to have written several more about his subsequent world-wanderings.

I shall be buying and reading them too now – have found another author to read and to enjoy.
1 vote John_Vaughan | May 5, 2011 |
Novelist Simon Mawer has chosen to discuss Eric Newby’s Love and War in the Apennines, on FiveBooks (http://five-books.com) as one of the top five on his subject - Forgiveness, saying that:

“… ‘There is a great moment where he returns to the place where he was sheltered when he was an escaped prisoner of war. He only lasted a few months moving from house to house working almost as a sort of slave labourer in a mountain farm. Then he was betrayed.. .…”.

The full interview is available here: http://thebrowser.com/books/interviews/simon-mawer ( )
  FiveBooks | Feb 25, 2010 |
It is at least two decades since I first encountered Newby, and devoured at least a dozen of his books. What a pleasure it is to rediscover how effortless and contemporary his prose is today: modest and humorous, with a striking gift for painting in words details of sky and mountains, flora and fauna. He also has an acute eye for human virtues - and foibles, not least his own.
added by John_Vaughan | editNZ Herald, Linda Herrick (Jul 15, 2011)

The peasants are the greatest sanctuary of sanity, the country the last stronghold of happiness. When they disappear there is no hope for the race.
Virginia Woolf
To all those Italians who helped me, and thousands like me, at the risk of their lives, I dedicate this book.
We were captured off the east coast of Sicily on the morning of the twelfth of August, 1942, about four miles out in the Bay of Catania.

Eric Newby tells of his time spent in Italy after the 1943 armistice. He describes the kindness of the peasants and the beauty of the landscape. It is here that he also met the girl who was to become his wife.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:11 -0400)

His life with Italian peasants after he escaped from a German prison camp.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,168,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible