Madness: A Brief History by Roy Porter

Madness: A Brief History (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Roy Porter

237None48,585 (3.7)2
Member:j7s7n
Title:Madness: A Brief History
Authors:Roy Porter
Info:Oxford University Press, USA (2003), Edition: 1, Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:finished, finished 2013, nonfiction, nonfiction 2013

Madness: A Brief History by Roy Porter (2002)

This is good if you want to be able to converse on the history of psychiatry and don't have the time or inclination to read a thicker book or several books. It covers all the important points and I found it very readable, but it's very short, and the author had to rush through everything. People who read many psychology/psychiatry books (like me) probably won't learn anything new. ( )
  meggyweg | Mar 6, 2009 |
This book was certainly a brief history. Short and informative, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for to read. I was hoping it would focus on the history of the treatment and institutions, but it was mainly about the history and development of psychology. Still, probably a good place to start.

Experiments in Reading ( )
1 vote PhoenixTerran | Aug 8, 2007 |
This brief history is comprehensive in its scope but leaves me wanting much more.

Porter seems not very sympathetic with the attitudes and methods of the practitioners of 'cures', and hints at underlying sociological and anthropological reasons for this.

In such a short book he doesn't find room to elaborate on these, and so rather ironically, he focusses entirely on the treatment of symptoms without attempting to examine the causes: the very failing which he holds each generation's practitioners guilty.

The further reading section at the end is comprehensive and may be the best place to begin.

Overall, though, a readable and informative summary. ( )
1 vote monachus | Oct 2, 2006 |
yet again, to the love of my life
NATSU
To 'define true madness'—the speaker is Polonius, labouring, as ever, to be wittily wise—'what is't but to be nothing else but mad?' (Introduction)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192802674, Paperback)

Looking back on his confinement to Bethlem, Restoration playwright Nathaniel Lee declared: "They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me." As Roy Porter shows in Madness: A Brief History, thinking about who qualifies as insane, what causes mental illness, and how such illness should be treated has varied wildly throughout recorded history, sometimes veering dangerously close to the arbitrariness Lee describes and often encompassing cures considerably worse than the illness itself.
Drawing upon eyewitness accounts of doctors, writers, artists, and the mad themselves, Roy Porter tells the story of our changing notions of insanity and of the treatments for mental illness that have been employed from antiquity to the present day. Beginning with 5,000-year-old skulls with tiny holes bored in them (to allow demons to escape), through conceptions of madness as an acute phase in the trial of souls, as an imbalance of "the humors," as the "divine fury" of creative genius, or as the malfunctioning of brain chemistry, Porter shows the many ways madness has been perceived and misperceived in every historical period. He takes us on a fascinating round of treatments, ranging from exorcism and therapeutic terror--including immersion in a tub of eels--to the first asylums, shock therapy, the birth of psychoanalysis, and the current use of psychotropic drugs.
Throughout, Madness: A Brief History offers a balanced view, showing both the humane attempts to help the insane as well as the ridiculous and often cruel misunderstanding that have bedeviled our efforts to heal the mind of its myriad afflictions.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:38 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,463,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible