Marjorie Morningstar by Herman Wouk

Marjorie Morningstar (1955)

by Herman Wouk

Recently added byjs31550, dwl121212, Chankie, phantomswife, private library, Deep_South_Dude, DFED, mandarella
Legacy LibrariesErnest Hemingway
    The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe (jayne_charles)
    Summer Crossing by Truman Capote (ashleylauren)
    Inside Daisy Clover by Gavin Lambert (Limelite)
    Limelite: What? Did these two books parasitize each other? Set in the 30s, wannabe actresses, girl grows up. Oh! One of them's Jewish -- that makes a difference.
    The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton (ashleylauren)

English (20)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (21)
Marjorie Morganstern is 17, Jewish and beautiful living in New York with her parents and determined to make it as an actress. She gets a summer job at a hotel with an amateur acting troupe and meets Noel Airman, handsome and slightly older who writes music. This is the start of a five year relationship with Majorie determined to marry Noel who doesn't seem able to stick to anything but is a fascinating, intelligent and witty man. She follows him to Europe and he finally proposes, but now she finds she no longer wants to marry him. She returns home and meets the man of her dreams. An interesting and long (over 700 pages) look at her life.
  taurus27 | Jan 1, 2018 |
My favorite Wouk book, have probably read it four times. It perfectly captures the time, and what it feels like to be a girl, on the cusp of womanhood, in love - and clueless. Just wonderful. ( )
  Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |
I read this book in high school and liked it; 45 years later I loved it. I read half and listened to the second half and loved the narration. It is one of my all- time favorite books and I really like Herman Wouk's writing. It takes place mainly in the 1930's and then jumps to 1954. I recommend this old classic, published in 1955. Now I want to see the movie! ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
Slow start. Good.
Noted during my 1980's attempt to read every book in my small town library. ( )
1 vote juniperSun | Dec 5, 2014 |
What an odd book to have been written by the author of The Caine Mutiny. It was like the story of Fanny Brice in reverse almost. It wasn't a bad book, but just so awfully dated. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
To the memory of my father
Abraham Isaac Wouk
1889-1941
Customs of courtship vary greatly in different times andplaces, but the way the thing happens to be done here and now always seems the only natural way to do it.

Marjorie Morningstar is a love story. It presents one of the greatest characters in modern fiction: Marjorie, the pretty seventeen-year-old who left the respectability of New York's Central Park West to join the theater, live in the teeming streets of Greenwich Village, and seek love in the arms of a brilliant, enigmatic writer. In this memorable novel, Herman Wouk, winner of the Pulitzer Prize, has created a story as universal, as sensitive, and as unmistakably authentic as any ever told.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,136,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible