Troika by Adam Pelzman

Authors:Adam Pelzman (Author)
Info:G.P. Putnam's Sons (2014), Edition: First Edition, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Troika by Adam Pelzman

An interesting read, although many parts were altogether too detailed. I found myself skimming through most sections. As a result I finished the book quite quickly. Other than the long-windedness of it, Troika was a well written novel. Very plausible characters that were developed in realistic, if tragic, ways. The plot was a bit dull, though I do normally read epic fantasy novels so it is no real surprise that I'm not fully satisfied with a book until I see a sword fight or horse chase. However, I'll definitely be keeping Troika on my shelf. ( )
  sasta | Feb 1, 2017 |
I just wasn't feeling this story. The sexual arrangement didn't bother me; if that's for you then it's for you. Rather I think it was the way the story was told. Perla's story started out exciting but soon advanced into tangential hell. Julian's story was a strange addition but at least it added to the unique diversity, however unbelievable. Even though things added up later on I had to wonder several times where this story was going.

I liked the build-up of tension towards the end and I also appreciated that none of the characters were portrayed as being perfect. Each of them was flawed in one way or another so they seemed very human. However the resolution wasn't sound. I couldn't believe it at all. ( )
  cosiari | Jul 3, 2016 |
Review: Troika Review
Troika weaves the stories of Perla, Julian and Sophie.  It's intense, and you'll want to keep reading to find out what is going to happen.
Perla is a strong character despite her occupation.  She knows people must look down on her, but she keeps her head held high, and has rules in place so she doesn't let her emotions get involved.  Julian had a harsh past that he tries to overcome and constantly deal with.  Sophie is a character that is hard to like at times because of her situation.  It's easy to empathize with her, but some of the choices she makes are frustrating.
The writing in Troika is beautiful.  The words are woven together with precision, and you can tell when each character is telling their story.  You visit past events that show how each person came to be how they are.
Sorry this is kind of vague. I don't want to give away too much because it would definitely be spoilery.  But this is a story about finding yourself and love in unimaginable circumstances.
[br] [br]
Giveaway
a Rafflecopter giveaway
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
When I was first approached by the publicist to read this book, my first reaction was to say no. This is not my typical type of read. But, then I noticed some of the reviews: "brilliant, astonishing modern love story", "fascinating" and "unforgettable". I was instantly intrigued and decided to give it a try.

TROIKA removed all my preconceived perceptions about romance novels by telling this modern love story involving three people who come together so unexpectedly. Just because I was enthralled with the story doesn't mean I agree with the conventions of it, but instead, found it to share a love between the characters that many people will never experience.

Julian was once a Russian orphan and is now a self-made millionaire in New York City. His wife, Sophie, suffers from a tragic accident. She and Julian must create a new path for their future. The third character in this troika is Perla, a Cuban living in Miami and working as a stripper in Fort Lauderdale. Pelzman draws us in by sharing each of their stories and how they ended up in their current situation through alternating chapters. Once their lives converge, you will wonder how they ever lived without each other. Fans of the movie "Pretty Woman" will find some similar scenarios, but this story is a bit more unexpected.

Pelzman tells the story quickly and with precision. You breeze through the short chapters and keep reading to get to the next character's story. He challenges you with the passion for which the characters make decisions, giving them powerful scenarios to cope with. Unfortunately, some scenes were never finished and the reader was left to wonder how a situation righted itself. Some of the secondary characters were highly involved in one scene and then not mentioned in another which didn't seem realistic. This is especially true at the end of the novel when you are left wonder what Perla's best friend, co-workers, and mother think about her new life.

This is not your typical romance novel, but one with depth and passion. It will force you to rethink your idea of true love. Each of the three characters suffers from a painful past, but it is how they overcome those tragedies that will leave you full of hope and compassion for their choice in life. Their stories are not for innocent eyes as I would give this an "R" rating. But for those looking for a deeper, more intensely personal novel, this is one that will stay with you long after it's done. ( )
  Staciele | May 11, 2015 |
This book did not go at all the way I expected it to, and I am very pleased with that. The book starts off with Perla's current situation where she is striving in a strip club. She meets one man at the club, Julian, who surprises her by stirring up strong feelings (physically and emotionally). Julian's story starts to unfold, his tough upbringing with his widowed mother who turned to drugs and prostitution to deal with her grief. Julian then went to an orphanage, but makes 2 friends that define loyalty, even decades later. He is put in a tough situation where he literally kills to defend his mother's honor. He gets adopted and transported to America. This book had me thinking that he is a superhero at several different points. He proves his loyalty to those whom he allows close to him. He is honorable (even though it doesn't always seem like it at the surface), strong, fiercely loyal, and dedicated.

Perla and Julian had several similarities: hard upbringing, early deaths of a father, and immigrating from another country. Their relationship grows, with Julian being somewhat of a sugar daddy and undetermined spans of time between each meeting. Eventually, Julian admits to being married and Sophie is introduced into the story.

Sophie's character really puts some (admittedly vital) energy into the storyline and all of the storylines start to converge. I really enjoyed her addition to the story. She is a combination of Julian and Perla: she is smart, strong, loyal. Yet she prides herself in pushing people towards the direction they need to take. She tests not only Julian, but Perla as well, which gets to be tricky, but I found to really admire her in the end.

The story concludes on a strangely beautiful note. The braiding of these three lives together, provides strength, protection, honesty and security. The strange situation binds them together in a way that would seem bizarre to an outsider. Things are not always what they seem, sometimes they are even more beautiful.

Please note: I was provided a digital copy of this book for free through Penguin Books' First To Read. ( )
  JanJanFreeman | May 5, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039916748X, Hardcover)

“[W]hat a brilliant, astonishing modern love story…”—Susan Cheever

Perla is a beautiful young Cuban-American woman who lives with her mother in a modest house in Miami’s Little Havana. After her father’s death, she finds herself leading a secret life.
Julian is from Russia. His father was a legendary Siberian hunter who fell victim to his own bravery. When Julian is forced into an orphanage, he discovers that he has more in common with his father than he originally thought.
Taken under the wing of a gruff, elderly businessman, Julian makes his way to New York City . . . and, years later, into the club where Perla is dancing. Soon after they meet, Perla is on a plane to Manhattan at the mysterious request of Julian’s friend—a journey that will change the course of her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:52 -0400)

Secretly working as a dancer in a club after the death of her father, Perla encounters the orphaned son of a legendary Siberian hunter who compels her to undertake a life-changing journey to Manhattan.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Adam Pelzman's book Troika was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,463,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible