Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor

Lagoon (2014)

by Nnedi Okorafor

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (amanda4242)
    amanda4242: Both feature cities thrown into chaos by the arrival of otherworldly visitors.

Interesting, multi-POV tale of first contact. ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
4.5 stars: This is the Nnedi Okorafor I've been reading to find. For whatever reason, the universe of Who Fears Death has not worked for me. I knew that Okorafor had writing and themes I cared about, but I didn't quite click with any of the characters. I know that might be a point (no saintly suffering WOC here!), but I wasn't feeling it.

Enter Lagoon. A first contact story with all of the prickly, realistic characters Okorafor loves to work with in a Lagos that feels utterly alive and weaves in all number of mythologies. And I was like, "yay! I knew there would be a Nnedi Okorafor book that I liked and not just respected!" because that's exactly it. I respected her work but was not liking it until now, which again, I think is more about me than the author, but I'm glad to like this. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
So let's get this out of the way: I loved this book. Reading the joyous thoughts of a giant swordfish made me cry.

As readers of SF/F I think we become used to series. We see stories as spread out over pages and time, expansive with plenty of room to breathe and unfurl. I think we forget what a single book can do but this book reminded me. The people Nnedi Okorafor created exist in this relatively slim volume but they are as real and enduring as any characters that span over triologies. You feel them; they crawl up into your brains and into your guts and heart and carve out spaces--you question them, you question yourself and you understand. Each character is so deftly woven, so carefully and precisely written you're sure you've known them for far longer than this book.

And beyond the characters, Okorafor's Lagos is a wonder. You feel the wet visceral love in every word: how love is possible for a city violent and dangerous and yet beautiful and hopeful and upsurging. The city is integral to this story and that's something, I think, fantasy and sci fi need more of: place. A sense of place, the place as a character, as a necessary character. Lagos, its gods and roads and people are absolutely 100% necessary to the existence of this novel and Okorafor has done this so well it's stunning.

Everything Okorafor builds in this book is important and connected but never contrived. It's messy but always controlled. It's bloody but always with purpose. I'm so happy to have experienced this book, to have experienced these characters and the raw, bleeding love that they feel for their city, for their country, for each other. ( )
  ElleGato | Sep 24, 2018 |
Just couldn't get into this. Too many side plots, side characters, etc. that contribute little if any to the plot or setting. And then there's a really weak resolution, to boot. ( )
  Lindoula | Sep 25, 2017 |
How did I forget to review this? I read this one to prepare for Yall Fest where Nnedi Okorafor was going to be and wow. It was simultaneously one of the weirdest scifi books I've ever read and one of the best. Getting to the 40% mark was a struggle but after that I was sold. It's one you definitely have to just suspend everything and go in with no expectations. It's great!
Also Nnedi Okorafor is the sweetest woman, I loved meeting her. She doodles on the edges of the book's pages as well as signing them. The three I got signed are three of my favorite books right now on my shelves. ( )
  Adilinaria | Aug 10, 2017 |

Nnedi Okoraforprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kern, ClaudiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruth, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the diverse and dynamic people of Lagos, Nigeria--animals, plant, and spirit
She slices through the water, imagining herself a deadly beam of black light.

A star falls from the sky. A woman rises from the sea. The world will never be the same. 'There was no time to flee. No time to turn. No time to shriek. And there was no pain. It was like being thrown into the stars.' Three strangers, each isolated by his or her own problems: Adaora, the marine biologist; Anthony, the rapper famous throughout Africa; Agu, the troubled soldier. Wandering along Bar Beach in Lagos, Nigeria's legendary mega-city, they're more alone than they've ever been before. But when something like a meteorite plunges into the ocean and a tidal wave overcomes them, these three people will find themselves bound together in ways never imagined. Together with Ayodele, a visitor from beyond the stars, they must race through Lagos and against time itself in order to save the city, the world... and themselves.… (more)

Nnedi Okorafor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,682,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible