Juliet's Nurse: A Novel by Lois Leveen

Juliet's Nurse: A Novel

by Lois Leveen

Mirror, Mirror by Gregory Maguire (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Set during the Italian Renaissance, these novels infuse popular stories with rich historical detail. Juliet's Nurse retells Romeo and Juliet from the nurse's perspective, while Mirror, Mirror superimposes the dynastic politics of the Borgias upon the tale of Snow White.… (more)

I enjoyed this retelling of the Romeo and Juliet story until the book's last third, which was essentially a retelling of the Shakespeare play from the nurse's perspective. Before that, however, the author builds a rich backstory around the nurse's character, how she came to be Juliet's nurse, and hints at a few unspoken things about Juliet herself. But once the book arrived at the traditional Skakespeare plot, my interest began to wane. Still, this is overall a very interesting and original take on a tale told many times. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | May 26, 2017 |
I honestly don't really have much to say about this book, I enjoyed it but my overall feeling was "meh". Maybe this one was just not for me, or it could be that I find the story of Romeo and Juliet "meh" as well. Either way I do think focusing on the nurse character from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet then giving that character a deep and quite sad background is clever and gives you a bit more perspective when reading the play again.

My favorite part is the relationship between Angelica and her husband Pietro, Pietro is such an amazing character. He is a caring and loving husband that you can tell by how Angelica talks about him throughout the book that she truly loves him. The reason why I like this so much is because in a lot of media and even within this book, husbands get a bad reputation as idiots or overbearing dictators of the household, Pietro is neither of these. He comes off as the most "normal" and the most fun-loving of all the characters. The ending of book is also done very well (no spoilers don't worry) with the whole bee situation, I think it was charming and realistic how it ended.

This probably is another reason why I didn't really enjoy the book as much as I wanted to, but I think Angelica did get very creepy sometimes. From what she has been through in her life I understand the attachment to Juliet but there is a line between motherly love and creepiness. She would in my opinion cross that line very quickly. One minute she would be talking about Juliet like it was her own daughter then the next she would be talking how she can't live without her and how she needs her. That did make me cringe a few times, but maybe its my lack of being a parent that distorts my feeling towards this, maybe if I had children I would understand more...maybe.

That was my little review, it was good but I just couldn't get into it.

I received this book through a Good Reads First Reads giveaway ( )
  Wushogun | Nov 30, 2016 |
Seeing the story of Romeo and Juliet through the Nurse's eyes becomes unexpectedly more touching. Angelica, the Nurse, becomes real instead of a comic cipher. And the events of the play are more real and a deeper, frankly stranger, tragedy with more context. ( )
  ewillse | Jan 18, 2016 |
Juliet's Nurse provides a fascinating portrait of the characters in the classic tale of Romeo and Juliet, but told from a different perspective. The sense of time and place seemed accurate and well-researched, and added greatly to my appreciation of this novel as well Shakespeare's version. Leveen's novel fleshed out the backstory of this tale and added many new dimensions to both the plot and themes of this famous tale. Although geared toward a mature audience (probably not ninth grade students), this would be an excellent companion to a study of Shakespeare's play. A couple of lines in underlined include: "Juliet's Nurse probes the relationship between loss and endurance, because in life, as in the novel, suffering exists not in opposition to, but as an inevitable experience of, survival" (from the Author's Notes at the end) and "We are lovers of the purest kind, for what greater love is there than the one between a mother and a milk-babe?" (referring to Juliet and her nurse, Angelica). Leveen's novel brings new life to the timeless issues and questions of this famous story, and was a most enjoyable read. ( )
  LMPadilla | Dec 26, 2015 |
Romeo and Juliet as told by her nurse - what a concept! The author does a wonderful job of animating the nurse and telling the tale as we know it but from her perspective. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
For MIO
and BMOP
who do not like to read novels
(If you happen to read this one, I hope you recognize it it the things I learned from you.?
Two nights before Lammas Eve, I go to bed believing myself fat and happy.

An enthralling new telling of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet—told from the perspective of Juliet's nurse.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,518,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible