Lucky Us by Amy Bloom

Lucky Us (2014)

by Amy Bloom

I often wonder if the reviews on the jacket are written by people that actually read the book. ( )
  lvmygrdn | Dec 4, 2014 |
What a story and slice of life. I loved the way Bloom used letters and different points of view to give us a glimpse into this family in all its guises. ( )
  ccayne | Nov 15, 2014 |
Told from several points of view, the novel begins with the first person narrative of Eva, a 12 year old whose mother suddenly drops her off at her father's house and leaves forever. Her older half sister Iris becomes a pivotal person in her life, and the two of them run off to Hollywood together. Throughout, the chapters shift from Eva's first person to third person accounts of Iris, then Clara, then Gus, and settings from the early to late 1940's, Brooklyn, and Germany. Heartwarming characters balance the faults of Eva's parents, with the backdrop of the inhumanity of Hollywood and World War II. Some of the motivations seem unclear to me, in particular the enmity Eva comes to feel for Iris, but the ending wraps things up successfully. ( )
  sleahey | Nov 10, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was not a book I could connect with. I found no appeal in any of the characters so therefore their stories did not interest me. I kept reading in hopes of finding that special something I was looking for, but it never showed up. I did like the places the novel took me to, especially the beauty parlor and the tarot readings and the internment camps Gus was sent to. I guess if those are the highights of a book, then perhaps it was not a book for me. I am not sure of what customer I would recommend this book to and that does not happen often. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Oct 26, 2014 |
A collection of vignettes that finally comes together. ( )
  Doondeck | Oct 24, 2014 |
My father's wife died.
It's good to be smart, it's better to be lucky.

Teenage half sisters Eva and Iris are disappointed by their families, Iris, the hopeful star, and Eva, the sidekick, journey across 1940s America in search of fame and fortune. Iris's ambitions take the sisters from small-town Ohio to an unexpected and sensuous Hollywood, across the America of Reinvention in a stolen station wagon, to the jazz clubs and golden mansions of Long Island.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lucky Us by Amy Bloom was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,368,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible