Lucky Us by Amy Bloom

Lucky Us (2014)

by Amy Bloom

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thanks to "Early Reviewers" I now have a new favorite author. Ms. Bloom writes like a dream. Beautifully crafted prose with nothing superfluous. I had forgotten how satisfying it is to indulge in a book you love. "..sentences that should be in a sentence museum," Michael Cunningham. I know I read "Love Invents Us" by Bloom a while back and rated it (in my own system prior to LibraryThing) as an 8 out of 9. However, I don't remember being this wowed. Great combination of poignant, spicy, humorous, and tender. Lucky me for being chosen as an Early Reviewer of Lucky Us. ( )
  LJBooks | Jul 7, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The story is mostly told from the point of view of Eva, after her mother abandons her at her father's house on the day of his wife's funeral. Here she meets her older half-sister, Iris. Eva is the "smart" one, and Iris is the "talented" one. Their adventures begin when they leave home and travel across the U.S. to Hollywood. The author handily intersperses humor and tragedy, and the characters are fully developed. This book was a pleasure to read. ( )
  jrquilter | Jul 6, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I knew who Amy Bloom was when I received Lucky Us, but I had never read any of her books. I had high expectations and they were met. Bloom is a very good writer, easily taking the reader through Eva's experiences as she ages. This is a good read for anyone looking for some entertainment.
  meliarose | Jun 28, 2014 |
This was my first book by Amy Bloom and I really enjoyed it. It tells the story of Eva, the 12 year old, illegitimate daughter of a college professor who is left by her mother on the father's doorstep after the death of his wife. The story covers the next decade where Eva lives a lifetime of experiences in that 10 year period.

The writing is strong and compelling; some critical components of the story are told through letters.There are a number of well-developed characters and several plot threads which are neatly tied up at the end of the story. I would definitely recommend this book.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  LoisB | Jun 25, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
At first, the book draws readers in. The drama starts early on page 7 when Eva's mother drops her off at her father's house and never comes back. The rest of the book comes too easily, though. Eva's half-sister Iris picks on her a little, but she quickly turns to taking care of Eva and running away with her with very little relationship development. Similarly, Iris embraces Hollywood life, including an all-female Orgy, without batting an eyelash. It makes you wonder if Bloom has ever talked to a small-town Ohio girl, especially one who grew up in the 40s. The plot is interesting enough to keep you reading, but character development is severely lacking. ( )
  EEDevore | Jun 22, 2014 |
My father's wife died.
It's good to be smart, it's better to be lucky.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lucky Us by Amy Bloom was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,540,775 books! | Top bar: Always visible