Lucky Us by Amy Bloom

Lucky Us (2014)

by Amy Bloom

Recently added byprivate library, megansbooklist, petit.small, Gatore, rhondagrantham, delphica, tandah

There's not A TON of stuff going on here, but it's a very nicely written novel about an unusual family (that continues to add family members in unconventional ways) and their relationships with others. Sometimes I find it frustrating to read about people who seem to be drifting through their own lives, but in this case, I thought it was a good choice for telling this particular story. A young girl and her glamorous older sister run away to Hollywood, flee after a scandal, end up in Brooklyn, and then WWII happens. Four stars is a bit of a reach, but it was close. ( )
  delphica | Jun 10, 2015 |
I wanted to like this novel, but there was just too much weirdness in the characters. They seemed more like comic book characters than real people. Odd things happened to them, they responded in strange ways...it could have been spellbinding or it could have been funny. But it wasn't. I only rated it as high as I did because I really like the ending, I'm just sorry it wasn't preceded by more I could like. ( )
  TerriBooks | May 14, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A good beach read or one for the Book Club. I didn't love the characters, and a few times wondered how this was all going to come together, but it wraps up neatly. ( )
  cindystark | Mar 13, 2015 |
==========

Someone once said: God gave us memory, so we could have roses in December. Someone did not add, So we could have blizzards in June and food poisoning when there was nothing to eat.
==========

When she was a young person just arrived in this country, Mrs. Gruber said she would cry from rage and frustration, because she couldn’t kill the people she wanted to kill.
==========
As my father would have said, if he could talk, One should only take advantage of those who can afford it.

==========

“People,” he said. “They can’t be underestimated.”
========== ( )
  Franza | Jan 19, 2015 |
Eva Logan has been abandoned by her mother and left with her father who it turns out has another family. She is connected to her half sister Iris and the two of them float through high school in Ohio with Eva (our narrator and the "smart one") and Iris (the beautiful and talented one). After graduation they make their way to Hollywood where Iris has some modest success in the movies but soon falls out of favor as a result of some nude swimming and an affair with Rose.

They are rescued by their dishonest, money stealing father and are forced to take the long road trip back east along with Francisco, the loyal Hollywood makeup man. There they become household workers in a Brooklyn household along with Reenie the cook and her husband Gus, the handyman and suspected German spy.

The novel has two many characters and twists and turns to recount in a brief review. It also includes an epistolary component where letters are received by Eva from Iris in London and Gus in Germany after the war has ended. Eva, meanwhile, finds herself in Brooklyn tending Danny, a child that Iris has "liberated" from a nearby orphanage as her lover Reenie very much wanted a child.

It is about this point in the novel you begin to wonder if all these characters, places and plots will come together. But you really don't worry too much about this as the twists and turns are engaging and even at time quite compelling. Without giving anything away, the pieces do fall into place as this is a work of a outstanding storyteller. ( )
  Wisconco | Jan 10, 2015 |
For my sister, Ellen.
My father's wife died.
It's good to be smart, it's better to be lucky.

Teenage half sisters Eva and Iris are disappointed by their families, Iris, the hopeful star, and Eva, the sidekick, journey across 1940s America in search of fame and fortune. Iris's ambitions take the sisters from small-town Ohio to an unexpected and sensuous Hollywood, across the America of Reinvention in a stolen station wagon, to the jazz clubs and golden mansions of Long Island.… (more)

297 wanted2 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lucky Us by Amy Bloom was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,860,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible