Lucky Us by Amy Bloom

Lucky Us (2014)

by Amy Bloom

Lucky Us by Amy Bloom was our last book club selection and discussion. It would seem it was a unanimous thumb's down. I had never heard of this book nor the author and based on the summary that I read on it in order to "vote" for our selection it didn't particularly appeal to me.

This is the story of Eva who being raised alone by her mom while her dad sometimes "visited.". One day her mother decides to drop her off at her dad's house and never looks back. Eva finds out her dad was married to another woman who has since died and she also has a half sister named Iris. Thrown together unexpectedly they decide to make the best of their situation. Iris is successful in many local talent shows and has been saving her prize money in order to go to Hollywood. When Eva catches her dad rifling through Iris' room searching for the money Iris decides it's time to leave home now. Eva tags along and their adventure begins. They meet many noteworthy characters that manipulate their journey.

I had difficulty connecting with any of these individuals except perhaps Eva who I think tried her best considering the hand she was dealt. There was too much chaos and dysfunction within the story for me to enjoy it. I grow weary of the characters using each other for gain, find it distasteful and as a result often wind up not liking the book. Unfortunately this was one of those times. I would not recommend this one.

How I acquired this book: Half.com website
Shelf Life: Less than 2 months ( )
  missjomarch | Jul 2, 2015 |
There's not A TON of stuff going on here, but it's a very nicely written novel about an unusual family (that continues to add family members in unconventional ways) and their relationships with others. Sometimes I find it frustrating to read about people who seem to be drifting through their own lives, but in this case, I thought it was a good choice for telling this particular story. A young girl and her glamorous older sister run away to Hollywood, flee after a scandal, end up in Brooklyn, and then WWII happens. Four stars is a bit of a reach, but it was close. ( )
  delphica | Jun 10, 2015 |
I wanted to like this novel, but there was just too much weirdness in the characters. They seemed more like comic book characters than real people. Odd things happened to them, they responded in strange ways...it could have been spellbinding or it could have been funny. But it wasn't. I only rated it as high as I did because I really like the ending, I'm just sorry it wasn't preceded by more I could like. ( )
  TerriBooks | May 14, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A good beach read or one for the Book Club. I didn't love the characters, and a few times wondered how this was all going to come together, but it wraps up neatly. ( )
  cindystark | Mar 13, 2015 |
==========

Someone once said: God gave us memory, so we could have roses in December. Someone did not add, So we could have blizzards in June and food poisoning when there was nothing to eat.
==========

When she was a young person just arrived in this country, Mrs. Gruber said she would cry from rage and frustration, because she couldn’t kill the people she wanted to kill.
==========
As my father would have said, if he could talk, One should only take advantage of those who can afford it.

==========

“People,” he said. “They can’t be underestimated.”
========== ( )
  Franza | Jan 19, 2015 |
For my sister, Ellen.
My father's wife died.
It's good to be smart, it's better to be lucky.

Teenage half sisters Eva and Iris are disappointed by their families, Iris, the hopeful star, and Eva, the sidekick, journey across 1940s America in search of fame and fortune. Iris's ambitions take the sisters from small-town Ohio to an unexpected and sensuous Hollywood, across the America of Reinvention in a stolen station wagon, to the jazz clubs and golden mansions of Long Island.… (more)

297 wanted2 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lucky Us by Amy Bloom was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,420,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible