The Fever by Megan Abbott

The Fever

by Megan Abbott

Series: N/A

Conversion by Katherine Howe (legxleg)
    legxleg: Both books are inspired by the news story of high school girls coming down with a mysterious illness.
    Speak Softly, She Can Hear by Pam Lewis (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Sex, lies, and secrets among teenage girls ruin friendships while exposing the emotional and psychological fault lines that lie beneath the surface of their social circles in these atmospheric suspense stories.
    The Blondes: A Novel by Emily Schultz (ShelfMonkey)
    Real World by Natsuo Kirino (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Whereas The Fever takes place in the Northeastern United States and Real World is set on the outskirts of Tokyo, both disturbing, intricately plotted suspense stories explore the inner lives of contemporary teenagers whose actions disrupt their quiet suburban communities.… (more)

English (90)  Piratical (1)  All languages (91)
Story of teenage girls who mysteriously become ill. Sexual overtones.
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
I'm giving this book three stars because I'm honestly unsure how I felt about it. On the one hand, it is very well written and once the suspense begins to build it never stops. But on the other hand, I absolutely hate the ending. Having so many teenaged girls fall ill with the same symptoms as the single girl who was poisoned, and having it diagnosed as it was, just came too close to Salem and the hysteria of girls for me. I know they said it wasn't something the girls made up, that they actually felt their symptoms, but it still read to me as if those girls copied the other girl and it just rubbed me the wrong way. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
As a microbiologist I thought this might be compelling. It just wasn’t. It is a mess in terms of plot and character development. It was hypersexualized and I cannot figure out why. It was not important and did not add tot he story. I also hated the depiction of teenage girls and their relationships. Disappointed. ( )
  MicrobeMom | Mar 23, 2018 |
I didn't even make it to Chicago before I realized that I'd radically underestimated the number of books I was going to need to make it to NYC. See, the NYC trip was supposed to be all books all the time, and I expected to board the train back home with all the new books I could carry, so I'd tried to minimize the books I brought there, to leave more room for new books. Well, I minimized too far.

So I was excited to see a Barnes and Noble on the way back to the train station after the Art Institute and Millennial Park, even if it was a college Barnes and Noble with limited selection. I wandered around for ages before finally settling on this, which I'd been meaning to read, I'd just intended to borrow it from Karen. Oh, well.

It was a great book for the back half of a long train ride when one might get a little impatient with back to back books. Abbott's writing rides that mystery/thriller line already, and in this case the mystery is such that you are constantly wondering if there isn't a supernatural element as well. A girl has a seizure. A normal, healthy teenage girl. And then another girl. And another. The town panics and starts pointing fingers. It's the polluted lake with its weird algal blooms. It's asbestos in the school. It's vaccines! Girls are freaking out and parents are getting hysterical and you start to wonder how long before someone's head is on a plate.

But not forgotten, and indeed the backbone of the story are the more ordinary dramas of teen life. Complicated families. All consuming crushes. The uncertainty of burgeoning sexuality. These things Abbott does so well.

I couldn't put it down. And the resolution didn't drop a single one of all the many balls in the air. I may have to go read all of Abbott's back catalog. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
An interesting read but somewhat predictable. Reminded me of how nasty teenage girls really can be. I almost unfairly gave this book three stars instead of four based on my dislike of the girls behavior then realized that their behavior was so ontarget that it made be uncomfortable and therefore deserving the fourth star.
The storyline gives the reader a glimpse into how a situation can create mass hysteria. ( )
  bostonterrio | Nov 21, 2017 |
What really makes a book of the summer is when we surprise ourselves. It’s not just about being fascinated by a book. It’s about being fascinated by the fact that we’re fascinated.

The odds:3-1
The Fever
Megan Abbott
Pros: Small-town girls hit by mystery syndrome. Tense, erotically fraught, has Gillian Flynn blurb.
Cons: Much adolescent angst. Are the stakes high enough?

In all disorder [there is] a secret order.

—Carl Jung
For my brother, Josh Abbott
"The first time, you can't believe how much it hurts."

The Nash family is close-knit. Tom is a popular teacher, father of two teens: Eli, a hockey star and girl magnet, and his sister Deenie, a diligent student. Their seeming stability, however, is thrown into chaos when Deenie's best friend is struck by a terrifying, unexplained seizure in class. Rumors of a hazardous outbreak spread through the family, school and community.

As hysteria and contagion swell, a series of tightly held secrets emerges, threatening to unravel friendships, families and the town's fragile idea of security.

A chilling story about guilt, family secrets and the lethal power of desire, THE FEVER affirms Megan Abbott's reputation as "one of the most exciting and original voices of her generation."*

*Laura Lippman

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:49 -0400)

"The panic unleashed by a mysterious contagion threatens the bonds of family and community in a seemingly idyllic suburban community. The Nash family is close-knit. Tom is a popular teacher, father of two teens: Eli, a hocky star and girl magnet, and his sister Deenie, a diligent student. Their seeming stability, however, is thrown into chaos when Deenie's best friend is struck by a terrifying, unexplained seizure in class. Rumors of a hazardous outbreak spread through the family, school and community. As hysteria and contagion swell, a series of tightly held secrets emerges, threatening to unravel friendships, families and the town's fragile idea of security" --… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Megan Abbott's book The Fever was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Megan Abbott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,747,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible