Bad Feminist: Essays by Roxane Gay

Bad Feminist: Essays (2014)

by Roxane Gay

1,667796,484 (3.92)2 / 184

I want to be very clear here. Much of the content of these essays was important and worth reading, although none of it was particularly eye-opening or groundbreaking. My problems with this collection rest solely with the prose style, which was so much about the author that it, at times, over-powered and undermined the value of an individual chapter. If the project had been sold as a memoir, then, perhaps, this would have been forgivable, but there were too many critical essays and reviews here that suffered from way too much "me". I am not denigrating in any way the validity of the author's experiences, only her ability to present them in a way that even attempts to universalize them. I am super-aware that any criticism I make may be unreasonably gendered or faintly racist, but given the sheer number of opportunities that the author takes to tell us about her PhD and faculty tenure, I feel fine is saying that this was some of the weakest non-fiction writing I have read.

On a side note, the edition I have from Corsair in its 14th printing contained some of the most egregious typos I have ever encountered in a professionally published work. Simply shocking. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Thoughtful, entertaining, and bingeable essays. My only beef is that a few of them scatter in lots of different directions and then just sort of...end. Still, highly recommended. There's a great variety and lots of the essays resonated with me deeply or made me consider issues in a new way. ( )
  cavernism | Jan 11, 2019 |
I enjoyed this book, especially the feminist film and movie reviews. The author is an excellent writer who gives a fresh perspective to popular media. But the author would be better off studying feminism before she critiques feminism itself. Feminism is not the study of individuals but rather the study of class based systems that keep women down. There is no such thing as a good or a bad feminist. Feminism is not something that judges women for living their lives wrongly, but rather criticizes the patriarchal culture that makes life difficult for women. Some women do have the privilege of being able to live life with more equality, and we should be happy for them, but not all women can and they should not be judged for that. We are better off spending our energy fighting for a better world rather than striving to be a good feminist. ( )
  SonoranDreamer | Dec 15, 2018 |
Roxane Gay, New York Times opinion writer and university professor, writes about feminism, fat acceptance, homophobia, racism, sexual violence, kink, pop culture, and a lot more in this collection of essays. She doesn’t come across as a know it all like some essayists do; she consistently admits to her own failings and prejudices. She’s funny and insightful at times; heartbreaking at others. Her own brutal gang rape at age twelve is fodder for her writing, as is 50 Shades of Grey and Twilight. The book is a mixed bag.

I have seen a lot of reviewers criticizing this book. One, for the writing not adhering to regular essay format but rather being more like blog posts. Yes, this is true. But I don’t feel that detracts from the content, and they are easy to read and digest. There is a trend among people today to glance at a more formal looking piece and think ‘tl;dr’. The other complaint I’ve seen is that a lot of them are on pop culture. I don’t see why this is a problem. Pop culture is what people are reading/watching. It’s what’s influencing people. Pop culture needs to be written and thought about. She doesn’t solve the feminist problem- she considers herself a bad feminist because she likes pink and she’s not a man-hating, angry woman. Well, I’m a bad feminist, too, despite being right out of the 1970s feminist wave. I, too, like pink, and I love makeup (I am angry, though, a lot of the time).

I loved this book. Is not only funny and thoughtful, she puts herself out there. I came across this book by happenstance, but I’m going to look for her other work now. ( )
  lauriebrown54 | Dec 9, 2018 |
Un ensayo muy íntimo, plagado de refexiones a programas, películas y series que todas conocemos, haciendo un análisis un poco crudo y cínico sobre el feminismo de verdad y el que no lo es. Roxane Gay escribe con personalidad, sin tapujos, y siendo ella misma. Una lectura para aprender, para mejorar y para sentir. ( )
  MiriamBeizana | Dec 3, 2018 |

Roxane Gayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bilardello, RobinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manchikanti, SunilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turpin, BahniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction
The world changes faster than we can fathom in ways that are complicated.
Don't flirt, have sex, or engage in emotional affairs with your friends' significant others. This shouldn't need to be said, but it needs to be said. That significant other is an asshole, and you don't want to be involved with an asshole who's used goods. If you want to be with an asshole, get a fresh asshole of your very own. They are abundant. — From "How to Be Friends With Another Woman"

A collection of essays spanning politics, criticism, and feminism from one of the most-watched young cultural observers of her generation, Roxane Gay. "Pink is my favorite color. I used to say my favorite color was black to be cool, but it is pink, all shades of pink. If I have an accessory, it is probably pink. I read Vogue, and I'm not doing it ironically, though it might seem that way. I once live-tweeted the September issue." In these funny and insightful essays, Roxane Gay takes us through the journey of her evolution as a woman (Sweet Valley High) of color (The Help) while also taking readers on a ride through culture of the last few years (Girls, Django in Chains) and commenting on the state of feminism today (abortion, Chris Brown). The portrait that emerges is not only one of an incredibly insightful woman continually growing to understand herself and our society, but also one of our culture. Bad Feminist is a sharp, funny, and spot-on look at the ways in which the culture we consume becomes who we are, and an inspiring call-to-arms of all the ways we still need to do better.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,516,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible