Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

More Happy than Not by Adam Silvera

More Happy than Not

by Adam Silvera

I recently finished another of the author's novels, They Both Die at the End. I found that to be rather emotional and too much of a tear-jerker for my taste, so I surprised myself by picking up his first novel, More Happy than Not. There are similarities between the two: the difficult lives, gay orientation of the main character, science fiction elements, and content that inspires uncomfortable feelings. I thought up to half way through the book that I would dislike this novel even more than the last one, but then there was a twist that made the story line more intriguing and kept me on edge and engaged through the rest of the book. I recommend it. ( )
  baobab | Feb 8, 2019 |
This is so melancholy! I hate that feeling after reading a book, but this was such a great story I don't know what to think. So many unexpected twists. I feel as lost as Aaron who could be majorly sweet but got in his own way. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
The twist blew me away, I wasn't expecting it. I couldn't stop crying at the ending either.

When you're confronted with the possibility of erasing or changing your painful past in memories, would you take it? TBH, yes I would.
And maybe I'd be as bad off in a totally different way.

I actually didn't know this book dealt with depression or suicide, otherwise I wouldn't have read it without preparation, but they were broached and tackled with reality, so I'm definitely pleased.

A sequel wouldn't work, but I'm still pretty devastated. And I will remember him, happy or not.

Now I'll just go continue to cry on my corner /sobs ( )
  Criticalnes | Jul 8, 2018 |
I gave up about 80 pages in because it seemed pretty boring, but I picked it back up and it turned a corner. ( )
  heike6 | Mar 19, 2018 |

I feel like I start more book reviews with the phrase “As a clinical social worker…” than
Alyson Hannigan began with “One time at band camp….”. That being valid, I still need to acknowledge that this is the lens through which I am looking at the world.

Of course, a book written about forgetting, remembering, trauma, identity, and orientation is not what I would call a departure from my studies so, honestly, I knew what I was getting in to.

The entire book revolves around the things we want to change but can’t and how far we go to lose the parts of ourselves that make us, well, us.

I feel like a lot of books that touch on identity and trauma sort of wave a magic wand (a concept that this book simply laughs at) and after a few adventures, everything is perfectly righted, again, with birds singing and flowers blooming.

More Happy Than Not, however, makes quick work of those assumptions, dragging any idea of picture-perfect resolution through the mud of the New York City rush hour traffic.

The book really functions as an allegory for loss, for hope, for recovery, and ultimately, life. To be a little metaphysical, if I may, it reads as an expanded version of the Serenity Prayer. The prayer, one of my favorites, is that little ditty in which we ask for the serenity to accept the things we can not change, the courage to change the things we and, most importantly, the wisdom to know the difference between the two.
Thank you to Adam Silvera for just nailing this. ( )
  iwriteinbooks | Feb 3, 2018 |

Adam Silveraprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ocampo, Ramon deNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For those who've discovered happiness can be hard.

Shout-out to Luis and Corey, of course, my favorites who sucker punched me in the best ways.
It turns out the Leteo procedure isn't bullshit.

After enduring his father's suicide, his own suicide attempt, broken friendships, and more in the Bronx projects, Aaron Soto, sixteen, is already considering the Leteo Institute's memory-alteration procedure when his new friendship with Thomas turns to unrequited love.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,476,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible