Mrs. de Winter by Susan Hill

Mrs. de Winter (1993)

by Susan Hill

English (17)  German (1)  All (18)
A sequel to Daphne du Mauriers Rebecca, this is a slow moving story that fails to create the suspense and unease of the original but that slowly carries you to its tragic conclusion. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
Quite honestly, I'm not entirely sure whether this novel failed me as a reader or I simply failed to comprehend what the author trying to accomplish. Written as a sequel to Du Maurier's classic "Rebecca," Hill's novel does a creditable job of capturing the sense of darkness in it's precursor. Hill has also done a good job of capturing the tone and flavor of duMaurier's language. However, overall, the books is, for me, a fail. It was not compelling; not even interesting. I was, in fact, hard pressed to continue reading. The pacing of the book is glacially slow. I suspect that is purposeful--a part of Hill's effort to recreate the tone of du Maurier's book, but is ill-suited to the modern reader and that may be the explanation for why a writer as accomplished as Ms. Hill should have fallen so far short of the mark in this particular work. ( )
  turtlesleap | May 28, 2015 |
[Mrs. deWinter] by [[Susan Hill]]; (1*)

An absolute farcical 'sequel' to [Rebecca] by [[Daphne du Maurier]]. And I don't even want to believe that it was written by the same [[Susan Hill] of [Strange Meeting] and [In the Springtime of the Year]! I don't possibly see how they could be one and the same.
I found no redeeming qualities in this book and consider it a complete waste of this reader's time.

Meh................. ( )
1 vote rainpebble | Jul 28, 2014 |
Susan Hill does a good job of mimicking Daphne du Maurier's writing style...but that's about it. Ms. du Maurier was a master at not wasting words and developing a really tight plot. I've read about halfway through Hill's sequel, and I'm still waiting for something to happen! So far, she's used lots of words to describe how traumatized and unhappy Mrs. de Winter is. ( )
  meacoleman | May 21, 2013 |
I never really expected to like Rebecca very much -- and wasn't overwhelmed -- and I'm not sure why I picked up Mrs de Winter, except that it was there and I was bored. It starts quite sluggishly, and never really picked up for me. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

Susan Hillprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tamminen, LeenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) sequel to

The undertaker's men were like crows, stiff and black, and the cars were black, lined up beside the path that led to the church; and we, we too were black, as we stood in our pathetic, awkward group, waiting for them to lift out the coffin and shoulder it, and for the clergyman to arrange himself; and he was another black crow, in his long cloak.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 068812707X, Hardcover)

The sequel to Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca returns to the world of Manderley and the haunting presence of Rebecca in the lives of Maxim de Winter and his young wife. 250,000 first printing. $225,000 ad/promo.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:40 -0400)

The sequel to Daphne Du Maurier's "Rebecca" returns to the world of Manderley and the haunting presence of Rebecca in the lives of Maxim de Winter and his young wife.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,169,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible