California Bones (Daniel Blackland) by Greg…

California Bones (Daniel Blackland) (edition 2014)

by Greg Van Eekhout (Author)

Member:Miss_Isle
Title:California Bones (Daniel Blackland)
Authors:Greg Van Eekhout (Author)
Info:Tor Books (2014), 303 pages
Tags:to-read, from_Goodreads

California Bones by Greg Van Eekhout (Author)

Posted originally on my blog www.csdaley.com

I should buy myself a rubber stamp with the word sucker on it. This way when I am looking at new books and say the words, urban fantasy, heist, alternate history, genre blending, fantasy, I can just stamp my head sucker and buy it. I don't even really know how to begin describing California Bones. At its heart it is an urban fantasy set in a Los Angeles dominated by magic and canals (you read that right, canals. It is one of my favorite parts of the book). Ruled by a nasty piece of work called the Hierarch. Calling him a brutal, tyrant of a dictator is probably too nice of a selection of words.

The magic is where the fun starts. You see bones make the magic system do its rounds. Any kind of bones; human, animal, fossils. Eekhout does a great job of building the magic system which is good because it is central to the plot. It seems the Hierarch likes to cleanse his Southern California nation of potential rivals and powerful Osteomancers (bone magicians).

This is the leaping off point where we meet young Daniel and his family. They are caught up in one of the cleansings and Daniel escapes into the city where he becomes a brilliant thief. Fast forward a few years and we get to the meat of the story. Someone hires Daniel and his crew to break into the Hierarch's fortress.

That's about as much of the plot as I want to give away. The joy of this book is the discovery. Eekhout does a bang up job of world building. Giving you just enough of a familiar Los Angeles to keep you guessing what surprise will come next and there are plenty of them. The book is relentless. It plows forward and barely gives you a chance to breath. Lots of action, magic, and suspense with a dash of dark grittiness thrown in for good measure.

California Bones is one of the best times I have had reading a book this year. I curled up in my reading chair yesterday and plowed through it. It is a book that is hard to put down. So hard in fact dinner was a little late. I needed to know how it finished up. The best news of all is that it is book one of a planned trilogy and book two Pacific Fire is already out. I know what I will be reading this week. Pick it up and set aside a few hours. You won't regret it. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Will need to return to review... but *really* enjoyed this different take on magic. Hope Van Eekhout has more of this caliber in the mix. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
Dude. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Apr 2, 2017 |
I loved this book. I really liked the idea of ingesting bone to gain the powers of the beast the bones came from..and many of the beasts are mythological and beasts of legend I thought that was a really unique idea and I loved how Daniel's father begins preparing him from a young age to be powerful and survive the machinations of the gritty and dangerous world they inhabit. . The start of the book is terrifying, but really set the scene of how frightening this world of magic and mages competing for power really is, and Daniel learns as he grows, that there are secrets within secrets that begins to uncover. Gritty and unique, a great read! ( )
  LongDogMom | Jan 13, 2017 |
An urban fantasy heist! ( )
  adamwolf | Oct 2, 2016 |

Van Eekhout, GregAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is an expanded version of

With respect, affection, and gratitude to my friends in the Blue Heaven writing community, and especially to our mastermind, Charles Coleman Finlay
Daniel Blackland's clearest memory of his father was from the day before his sixth birthday, when they walked hand in hand down Santa Monica Beach. That was the day Daniel found the kraken spine in the sand.

When Daniel Blackland was six, he ingested his first bone fragment, a bit of kraken spine plucked out of the sand by his demanding, brilliant, and powerful magician father, Sebastian. When Daniel was twelve, he watched Sebastian die at the hands of the Hierarch of Southern California, devoured for the heightened magic layered deep within his bones. Now, years later, Daniel is a petty thief with a forged identity. Hiding amid the crowds in Los Angeles, his crime-boss uncle has a heist he wants Daniel to perform: break into the Hierarch's storehouse of magical artifacts and retrieve Sebastian's sword, an object of untold power.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,852,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible