Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Neverwhere (original 1996; edition 2005)

by Neil Gaiman

Member:paulmorriss
Title:Neverwhere
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:Headline Review (2005), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

Neverwhere: the author's preferred text by Neil Gaiman (Author) (1996)

English (55)  German (1)  All (56)
It is a perfectly good story. It has plot and characters and humour. But it feels to me that it needs more. More depth, more of the human condition and its complexities, more cross-references to the deeper things within our culture and souls. I felt it needed more thought and less action, less skating across the surface of the plot lines. Like I said, a perfectly good story, but for me, this week, I wanted something to chew on and think about, not something that would be gone from me in a day, completely overlaid and forgotten by what I choose to read next ( )
  devilish2 | May 21, 2017 |
I keep feeling like I haven't read much Neil Gaiman, even though I've read [b:Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch|12067|Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch|Terry Pratchett|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1392528568s/12067.jpg|4110990], [b:The Ocean at the End of the Lane|15783514|The Ocean at the End of the Lane|Neil Gaiman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1351914778s/15783514.jpg|21500681], and now this one. I think I want to go on to [b:The Graveyard Book|2213661|The Graveyard Book|Neil Gaiman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1303859949s/2213661.jpg|2219449] still, because I feel like I haven't found the Gaiman I'm looking for. I really like his presence in the literary world, the way he talks about his writing, the way he thinks about things, and yet though I like his books I don't love them the way that I expect to.

There was a bit of Douglas Adams humour here, especially in the descriptions of places or people, though it didn't feel like it belonged to Gaiman because it was such a conscious reference to Adams. It wasn't as devastatingly funny because it wasn't as consistent with the rest of Gaiman's tone.

I think it's interesting that Gaiman has gone back to create this preferred text, to establish what kind of Neverwhere he wants us to read. Again, I like his artistic process, his revisionary fussiness, especially when that can be frowned upon or simply fall flat in modern publishing culture.

It's a very visual story, and I can see how it works as a mini-series or as a film, as it really seems meant for that genre. Even the way that Richard's accent would come across when heard aloud as compared with how our subconscious reading voice can neutralize that kind of detail. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
A good multi-themed story that will expand your mind. ( )
  charlie68 | Mar 11, 2017 |
A great story of an alternative London - London below. The mythology of London places sounds like it's always existed, but is probably invented by Neil. For example, the actual Angel at Islington, the Black Friars and so on. ( )
  paulmorriss | Dec 22, 2016 |
Neverwhere is one of my favorite Neil Gaiman books, and one of my favorite books period. Highly recommended. ( )
  RFSteinhauer | Dec 10, 2016 |

Gaiman, NeilAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riddell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is an expanded version of

I have never been to St. John's Wood. I dare not. I should be afraid of the innumerable night of fir trees, afraid to come upon a blood red cup and the beating of the wings of the Eagle.--The Napoleon of Notting Hill, G. K. Chesterton
If ever though gavest hosen or shoon
Then every night and all
Sit thou down and put them on
And Christ receive thy soul

This aye night, this aye night
Every night and all
Fire and fleet and candlelight
And Christ receive thy soul

If ever thou gavest meat or drink
Then every night and all
The fire shall never make thee shrink
And Christ receive thy soul

--The Lyke Wake Dirge (traditional)
For Lenny Henry, friend and colleague, who made it happen all the way; and Merrilee Heifetz, friend and agent, who makes everything IK.
The night before he went to London, Richard Mayhew was not enjoying himself.

THERE'S A PLACE MOST PEOPLE COULD NEVER DREAM OF. A CITY OF MONSTERS AND SAINTS MURDERERS AND ANGELS, KNIGHTS IN ARMOUR AND PALE GIRLS IN BLACK VELVET. THIS IS THE CITY OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE FALLEN BETWEEN THE CRACKS.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:50 -0400)

Under the streets of London there's a world most people could never even dream of. A city of monsters and saints, murderers and angels, and pale girls in black velvet. Richard Mayhew is a young businessman who is about to find out more than he bargained for about this other London.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,414,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible