Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Neverwhere (original 1996; edition 2005)

by Neil Gaiman (Author)

2,209724,224 (4.17)2
Member:ccs3
Title:Neverwhere
Authors:Neil Gaiman (Author)
Info:Headline Review (2005), 400 pages

Neverwhere: The Author's Preferred Text by Neil Gaiman (Author) (1996)

English (71)  German (1)  All languages (72)
I loved this book so much I had to buy a second copy and made sure I got the illustrated edition! ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Oct 6, 2018 |
I know! How can I have not read this book before?
This is an achievement of Dickensian proportions, successfully populating London Under with archetypal characters that deserve immortality.
I'm so glad I read it. ( )
  ClareRhoden | Sep 26, 2018 |
Gaiman has an awesome imagination and a dark and yet fun sense of humor. I'm loving his books more and more. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Jul 24, 2018 |
On his way to a formal engagement with his girlfriend, Richard is startled when a broken and bleeding form stumbles out of a doorway and collapses onto the London sidewalk in front of them. Though Jessica insists that they phone emergency services and be on their way, Richard hesitates and then decides to stay behind to assist the unresponsive woman, unaware that his sense of compassion will alter his life irrevocably going forward. He learns that there are two sides of London -- the unassuming city above, and the otherworldly London Below: an altered place, home to dangerously bizarre and curiously fantastic denizens, where the rules of everyday reality don't seem to apply.

Neverwhere was an intriguing read, though it didn't grip me quite as I'd hoped. I think because it feels sometimes that there is some crossover between urban fantasy and magical realism (which I struggle with), I find it more of a challenge to enjoy the experience fully. ( )
  ryner | Jun 12, 2018 |
Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere" was quite an interesting book. I am a fan of Neil's ability to conjure up worlds and build them with just enough tethers tied to the real world that you feel as if it just might exist. This is especially true in this book.

I feel that the character of Richard is described really well, but I feel that the others could have been elaborated a bit more. I felt a loss with de Carabas. There could have been so much more. But that adds to the mysterious side of the London Below. So many shadows, so much danger.Being transported to the London Below makes me feel as if I were transported to an alternate reality of London proper. Everything is there, but it is all off.

I wish there was a follow-up to this book. The ending was amazing, but I wanted so much more.

All-in-all, great book. ( )
  VoodooYeager | May 27, 2018 |

Gaiman, NeilAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riddell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is an expanded version of

I have never been to St. John's Wood. I dare not. I should be afraid of the innumerable night of fir trees, afraid to come upon a blood red cup and the beating of the wings of the Eagle.--The Napoleon of Notting Hill, G. K. Chesterton
If ever though gavest hosen or shoon
Then every night and all
Sit thou down and put them on
And Christ receive thy soul

This aye night, this aye night
Every night and all
Fire and fleet and candlelight
And Christ receive thy soul

If ever thou gavest meat or drink
Then every night and all
The fire shall never make thee shrink
And Christ receive thy soul

--The Lyke Wake Dirge (traditional)
For Lenny Henry, friend and colleague, who made it happen all the way; and Merrilee Heifetz, friend and agent, who makes everything IK.
The night before he went to London, Richard Mayhew was not enjoying himself.

THERE'S A PLACE MOST PEOPLE COULD NEVER DREAM OF. A CITY OF MONSTERS AND SAINTS MURDERERS AND ANGELS, KNIGHTS IN ARMOUR AND PALE GIRLS IN BLACK VELVET. THIS IS THE CITY OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE FALLEN BETWEEN THE CRACKS.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:50 -0400)

Under the streets of London there's a world most people could never even dream of. A city of monsters and saints, murderers and angels, and pale girls in black velvet. Richard Mayhew is a young businessman who is about to find out more than he bargained for about this other London.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,662,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible