dismiss

My Journey to Lhasa by Alexandra David-Néel

My Journey to Lhasa (1927)

by Alexandra David-Néel

Reprint of the Harper & Bros. original of 1927. The memoirs of a stout 55-year-old Frenchwoman who trekked in disguise for four months to become the first Western woman to reach Lhasa. Annotation copyright Book News, Inc. Portland, Or.

Dutch (2)  French (2)  English (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (8)
I bought this book at a small book store on the main street in Leh, Ladakh, India after completing a wintertime camping trip in the foothills of the Himalayas. I couldn't resist reading about a white woman's efforts to walk to the forbidden city of Lhasa in the 1920's. I read it on the flight home, and it really felt true to my experiences. The mountains, frozen rivers, passes, and desert conditions were harsh but gorgeous. Her running river crossings on what were basically zip lines were terrifying to read about, as were her encounters with bandits. She was always sturggling to avoid her disguise being penetrated, as well as to just survive in harsh conditions. She'd studied Tibetan, was a Buddist, and had a semi local travelling companion, but she had to think on her feet and do some personally distasteful things in order to throw off suspicion. I'm hoping to dig up some of her other books about her time as a hermit in the mountains, her writing is evocative and spirited and very readable. ( )
  silentq | Mar 21, 2013 |
Expérience intéressante de découverte d'une terre "inconnue" à l'époque par une véritable aventurière. Le style est tout de même très empesé et peut nuire à la lecture. Typiquement 19ème. ( )
  Replay | May 5, 2010 |

David-Néel, Alexandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bervoets, HildeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bstan-ʾdzin-rgya-mt… Dalai Lama XIVForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
D'Arsonval, A.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hopkirk, PeterIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Revest Mira, MilagrosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rowan, Diana N.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smedt, Marc deEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Jacques Marchais original library book

Voland Edizioni

2 editions of this book were published by Voland Edizioni.

Editions: 8886586299, 8888700145

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,477,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible