A Place to Call Home

by Carole Matthews

In the dead of night, Ayesha takes her daughter, Sabina, and slips quietly from her home, leaving behind her abusive husband and a life of pain and heartache. Boarding a coach to London, Ayesha has her sights set on a new life for herself and her little girl. Hayden, a former popstar, has kept himself hidden away for years. In all that time, he's opened up his home to just two people - Crystal, a professional dancer with a heart of gold, and Joy, an ill-tempered retiree with a soft spot for waifs and strays. When Crystal asks Hayden if Ayesha and Sabina can stay with them, he reluctantly agrees. As different as they may be, all these damaged yet loving people quickly form an unlikely bond. So when enemies from the past threaten their peaceful life, they will do whatever it takes to save their home and each other.… (more)

I do love my Brit chick lit so it's no surprise that I really enjoyed this one. I rooted for Ayesha, Sabina, Joy, Hayden & Crystal the whole way through. I quite liked how each of their stories unfurled after first getting Ayesha's story. The cover pulled me in and the summary made this one a definite must read. I worried Ayesha's husband would find her. I hoped for Sabina's first words and wondered what those would be. I hoped Hayden got some help for his anxiety problems because no matter how nice the manse he lived in or how lovely the people who resided with him, I wanted him to get out into the wider world again after his terrible heartbreak. I thought Crystal was just a breath of fresh air even with her struggles and as soon as Joy's story of how she came to be living at the house was told, I had all kinds of sympathy and care for her, crankiness and all. I thought they were all endearing and I enjoyed reading about them. It's definitely the sort of book I'd recommend for travel or a long weekend if you're a chick lit or contemporary fiction fan. A satisfying read. ( )
  anissaannalise | Feb 28, 2018 |
A Place to Call Home is a book about second chances. Although I enjoyed reading it I had some problems with it. My biggest problem was that the premise of the story felt completely implausible. It is almost a modern fairy tale; poor-abused woman meets tortured-millionaire hero… and of course, they find solace in each other’s arms.
My second problem was with the end, actually with the last quarter of the book. Heroine does something that pissed me off and hero accepts heroine’s decision as way of respecting her wishes, when he could have done things completely different and save each other weeks of pain. Also I didn’t like the easy way the “villain” was off from the story; it was too easy and too convenient.
This was my first book by Carole Matthews, but I don’t think it’ll be my last. I may give this author another chance.
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,605,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible