Pretty Girls: A Novel by Karin Slaughter

Pretty Girls: A Novel (edition 2015)

by Karin Slaughter (Author)

Member:Cfogarty
Title:Pretty Girls: A Novel
Authors:Karin Slaughter (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2015), Edition: First Edition, 416 pages

Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter

Recently added byprivate library, rena75, AceFeminist, Alcaren, cfulton20, tpolley, linda1188

English (108)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (112)
Such a dark evil story... but so well-written! Kudos to Ms. Slaughter. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
WOW. WOW. WOW. I finished this last night and I cannot stop thinking about it! It was completely different than anything I normally read, but WOW! I'm unable to find the words to describe it yet so all I can say is - WOW! MIND BLOWN. AWESOME BOOK!!! (Although not at all for the faint of heart, which I normally am.) ( )
  Squirrel820 | Nov 21, 2018 |
Whoa. This book was hands down crazy, and crazy good. I'm telling everyone I know that this is a must read! If you like murder, and mystery, and thrill. Definitely read this one. You'll be left with a WTF moment after every page. ( )
  erthom02 | Nov 20, 2018 |
Being a cozy murder kind of reader, I didn't much care for the gore and torture in this book. It's one thing to create suspense - and Slaughter does this well - but to emphasize the torture is really not my cup of tea. The author is certainly good at her craft but this novel is just not one I will recommend. ( )
  Cecilturtle | Nov 9, 2018 |
this would almost definitely be a 2 star read for me, so after getting about 1/3 of the way through i have to call it quits
  ireneattolia | Sep 3, 2018 |
*****
“My girl, what happened to you now…”

There are tons of cliches that reviewers fall back upon to describe how much effect a book had upon them. It kept me up, all night, I couldn’t put it down, etc. Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter brought a new one to life for me. The entire time I was reading this astounding novel I was so jittery and on the edge of my seat that I felt like I had just downed a triple-shot of Starbuck’s strongest.

I have read a few of Ms. Slaughter’s other novels, and she is easily one of the most daring and fearless suspense novelists working today. She takes chances, and has the skill and daring to make them work, and all of her talents are brought to to bear again here, and then some. Pretty Girls knocked me out.

When teenaged Julia Scott disappears, it destroys her family. Her father Sam becomes so obsessed with her fate that it destroys his marriage with his wife, Helen. Older daughter Lydia becomes a drug-abusing party girl, and younger sister Claire subsumes her ambitions and marries Paul, a mild-mannered and orderly architect who becomes a multimillionaire.

We watch Lydia right her life; becoming a middle-class single mother with her own business, she works endlessly with her boyfriend Rick to provide a good life for her daughter, Dee. Adding to her everyday worries is the news that a girl from Dee’s school has gone missing. Claire meanwhile, has become a tennis-playing trophy-wife with a dark underside that is revealed when she assaults another trophy wife with a tennis racket.

Then Paul is murdered during a robbery in front of Claire. Lost in grief she is further shocked to find that her home has been burgled during his funeral. Searching for insurance documents on her husband's computer she comes across some hidden videos that shatters her image of her husband. Not having spoken to her sister for years, she still decides that she needs Lydia’s help.

Understand that this is less than a fifth of the way into the story, and that so many twists and turns and revelations follow that I have opted out rather than try to describe them without spoiling the beautiful house-of-cards plot constructed my Ms. Slaughter. I wasn’t blowing smoke when I called Ms. Slaughter fearless, either; this is a visceral novel that doesn't dissemble or shy away from brutality and violence, both physical and emotional. Yet even as it stares into the abyss I found this to be a work full of strength and hope, both embodied in the touching and psychologically nuanced relationship between the sisters, Lydia and Claire.

Both are fully-realized characters, and they grow and evolve and deepen as Ms. Slaughter steers them into ever deeper and darker situations that test their resolve. Just about every character in the book feels real and true, and Ms. Slaughter’s prose never fails to captivate. Her first-person narration of Sam’s story, the father, is particularly vivid, and just about broke my heart.

If all of this wasn’t enough, Ms. Slaughter shows a very deft hand in action scenes, bringing the physical violence to life without shying from the pain and blood. I may not have mentioned it yet, but her prose is smooth and assured and the setting is vivid and feels true-to life.

As the end this novel comes to terms, with grace and skill, with the fact that life is very seldom about winning and losing, but more often about surviving. That is more than enough.

Review by: Mark Palm
Full Reviews Available at: http://www.thebookendfamily.weebly.co...

A particularly beautiful woman is a source of terror. --Carl Jung
FOR DEBRA
When you first disappeared, your mother warned me that finding out exactly what had happened to you would be wore then never knowing.
'Een beeldschone vrouw is een bron van verschrikking.'
- Carl Jung
Do not combine with the short story of a similar name.

More than twenty years ago, Claire and Lydia’s teenaged sister Julia vanished without a trace. The two women have not spoken since, and now their lives could not be more different. Claire is the glamorous trophy wife of an Atlanta millionaire. Lydia, a single mother, dates an ex-con and struggles to make ends meet. But neither has recovered from the horror and heartbreak of their shared loss—a devastating wound that's cruelly ripped open when Claire's husband is killed.

The disappearance of a teenage girl and the murder of a middle-aged man, almost a quarter-century apart: what could connect them? Forming a wary truce, the surviving sisters look to the past to find the truth, unearthing the secrets that destroyed their family all those years ago . . . and uncovering the possibility of redemption, and revenge, where they least expect it.

"More than twenty years ago, Claire and Lydia's teenaged sister Julia vanished without a trace. The two women have not spoken since, and now their lives could not be more different. Claire is the glamorous trophy wife of an Atlanta millionaire. Lydia, a single mother, dates an ex-con and struggles to make ends meet. But neither has recovered from the horror and heartbreak of their shared loss--a devastating wound that's cruelly ripped open when Claire's husband is killed. The disappearance of a teenage girl and the murder of a middle-aged man, almost a quarter-century apart: what could connect them? Forming a wary truce, the surviving sisters look to the past to find the truth, unearthing the secrets that destroyed their family all those years ago . . . and uncovering the possibility of redemption, and revenge, where they least expect it" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,726,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible