Eifelheim by Michael Flynn

by Michael Flynn

Member:revslick
Title:Eifelheim
Authors:Michael Flynn
Info:Tor Science Fiction (2009), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2012 read

Eifelheim by Michael Flynn

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (Ape)
    Ape: Far from identical stories, but both are sci-fi takes on the black death (Eifelheim: Aliens, Doomsday Book: Time Travel.) There are numerous similarities, and I think if you like one the other might be worth looking into.
    God's Fire by Patricia Anthony (whiten06)
    whiten06: First contact, religious themes, and medieval backdrops.
    The Plot to Save Socrates by Paul Levinson (FFortuna)
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because it also is full of philosophical and scientific concepts, and also has a first-contact theme.

Is this a fantasy? Sci-fi? Not sure. I really really tried to finish it, but got bogged down in the length, complexity, did I say length? Tried audio and print. Ah well, there are so many more books out there.
  2wonderY | Sep 16, 2014 |
This book bubbled up on some searches for something new to read. The premise sounded wonderful: aliens come to Earth in the mid-14th century and are stranded. For some reason, the book never lived up to the promise of that premise. I found the description of life in the Black Forest boring, the conflict between the aliens and the locals predictable and any comic relief based on the two cultures too far between to keep me interested. I was interested in the pseudoscience postulated in the “now” sequences of the book, but that was too sparse. The ending was like a scene borrowed from Chariots of the Gods. Mediocre at best: three stars. ( )
  PghDragonMan | Mar 2, 2014 |
I was intrigued at the idea of "first contact" in medieval times, just now realized. This could have been a better novel than it was. Lots of it was great fun. But the author ruined the story by inserting pages of discussion about every theological, scientific and philosophical question of the fourteenth century. It got in the way of the movement of the story. But he redeemed himself at the end - I thoroughly enjoyed how he wrapped it all up. I wish that maybe a bit more work and editing had gone into this novel; it's on the verge of doing something really fascinating. ( )
1 vote TerriBooks | Mar 1, 2014 |
High-level philosophy going on here, but interesting. Not a page-turner by any means. ( )
  MorganGMac | Feb 13, 2014 |
I am a sucker for lists, and use them to find out about interesting books I might like. A website I use often is 'Worlds Without End' which enables me to track my collection and see award or best of lists, all in the genres of science fiction, fantasy and horror. That's how I found about Eifelheim by Michael Flynn, which was a Hugo nominee in 2007. The description of first contact in medieval Germany sounded like this was the perfect book for me.
The book has two story-lines, one 'today' where two scientists, cliometric historian Tom and theoretical physicist Sharon, figure out what happened to the abandoned and never resettled village of Eifelheim, and the other in the fourteenth century, in Eifelheim itself. In the fourteenth century, the story follows Dietrich, the well-educated village priest who serves as a human ambassador to aliens who have crashed in the forest nearby. Slowly they make contact and rely on each other for help and survival.
Sounds pretty good, and it was, sort of. But the story was too long, with the writer being too eager to display whatever he learned about the fourteenth century in Europe (I'm sure Dietrich met or knew of every famous person that walked the earth back then). The language used in the book, both in the modern parts as well as in the fourteenth century made me think the writer was German and so was the translator (and editor), but I am surprised that he is an American. Why then use the description 'mouse the Net' to describe browsing the Internet. And the coincidental knowledge and acceptance of Dietrich was beyond annoying. "Oh, you have information that travels across a wire in small packets? I'll call those "bits". And if something goes wrong in the system it is like an annoying bug? I'll call that a "bug"". Yeah, sure. Like other reviewers I kept waiting for a reveal, for more information about these aliens or the area of Eifelheim, but nope. The book gets 3 and a half stars out of five, but only because I like the originality of aliens in the past and I'd never read a book like that. But I sure wish the writing was a lot better and more enjoyable. ( )
4 vote divinenanny | Aug 12, 2013 |
"Flynn credibly maintains the voice of a man whose worldview is based on concepts almost entirely foreign to the modern mind, and he makes a tense and thrilling story of historical research out of the contemporary portions of the tale."
added by sturlington | editBooklist, 103 (2): 33, Regina Schroder (Sep 15, 2006)

"Another meticulously researched, intense, mesmerizing novel (based in some part on a 1986 short story) for readers seeking thoughtful science fiction of the highest order."
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews 74 (16): 815., Kirkus Reviews (Aug 15, 2006)

For God is dead nowadays and will not hear us,

And for our guilt he grinds good men to dust.

-- William Langland, Piers Ploughman
C'est le chemin qu'on appelle le Val d'Enfer. Que votre Altesse me pardonne l'expression; je ne suis pas diable pour y passer.

-- Marshal Villars, regarding the Höllenthal, 1702
Oh happy posterity who will not experience such abysmal woe and will look upon our testimony as a fable.

-- Petrarch
I know where the path to the stars lies.
Somewhere, he thought, there are creatures like these.
Stirred, a heart could be a terrible thing.
It's all that reading that does it, Dietrich. It takes a man out of the world and pushes him inside his own head, and there is nothing there but spooks.
Dietrich, watching the young couple depart, hoped the union would prove as loving for the couple as it promised to be advantageous for their kin.
Paul wrote to remind everyone that outward signs no longer mattered.
This is a novel. Do not combine it with the 1986 novella of the same name.

Over the centuries, one small town in Germany has disappeared and never been resettled. Tom, a contemporary historian, and his theoretical physicist girlfriend, Sharon, become interested. Tom indeed becomes obsessed. By all logic, the town should have survived. What's so special about Eifelheim?

In the year 1348, Father Dietrich is the village priest of Oberhochwald, later known as Eifelheim, when the Black Death is gathering strength but is still not nearby. Dietrich is an educated man, knows science and philosophy, and — to his astonishment — becomes the first contact person between humanity and an alien race from a distant star when their interstellar ship crashes in the nearby forest.

It is a time of wonders in the shadow of the plague. Flynn gives us the full richness and strangeness of medieval life, as well as some terrific aliens.

Tom and Sharon and Father Dietrich have a strange destiny of tragedy and triumph in this brilliant SF novel by the winner of the Robert A. Heinlein award.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765340356, Mass Market Paperback)

Centuries ago, one small town in Germany disappeared and was never resettled. Tom, a historian, and his theoretical physicist girlfriend Sharon, become interested. By all logic, the town should have survived. What's so special about Eifelheim?

Father Dietrich is the village priest of Eifelheim, in the year 1348, when the Black Death is gathering strength. To his astonishment, Dietrich makes first contact between humanity and an alien race from a distant star, when their ship crashes in the nearby forest. Flynn gives us the full richness and strangeness of medieval life, as well as some terrific aliens.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:36 -0400)

In 1349, one small town in Germany disappeared and has never been resettled. Tom, a contemporary historian, and his theoretical physicist girlfriend Sharon, become interested. Tom indeed becomes obsessed. By all logic, the town should have survived, but it didn't and that violates everything Tom knows about history. What's was special about Eifelheim that it utterly disappeared more than 600 years ago? Father Deitrich is the village priest of Oberhochwald, the village that will soon gain the name of Teufelheim, in later years corrupted to Eifelheim, in the year 1348, when the Black Death is gathering strength across Europe but is still not nearby. Deitrich is an educated man, knows science and philosophy, and to his astonishment becomes the first contact between humanity and an alien race from a distant star when their interstellar ship crashes in the nearby forest. It is a time of wonders, in the shadow of the plague. Tom and Sharon, and Father Deitrich, have a strange and intertwined destiny of tragedy and triumph in this brilliant SF novel by the winner of the Robert A. Heinlein Award.… (more)

72 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,432,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible