Sand: Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey

Sand: Omnibus Edition (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Hugh Howey

The incredible new novel and brand new world from the international bestselling author of the Wool trilogy. The old world is buried. A new one has been forged atop the shifting dunes. Here in this land of howling wind and infernal sand, four siblings find themselves scattered and lost. Palmer has never been the same since his father walked out twelve years ago. His elder sister, Vic, is trying to run away from the past; his younger brothers, Connor and Rob, are risking their lives to embrace it. His mother, left with nothing but anger, is just trying to forget. Palmer wants to prove his worth, not only to his family, but to himself. And in the barren, dune-covered landscape of his home, there is only one way to earn respect: sand-diving. Plunging deep below the desert floor in search of relics and scraps of the old world. He is about to embark on the most dangerous dive of his young life, aiming to become the first to discover the rumoured city below. Deep within the sand lies the key to bringing his family together âe" and tearing their world apart.… (more)
Member:Samkwrth
Title:Sand: Omnibus Edition
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2014), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Post apocalyptic

Sand: Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey (2014)

Recently added byegaston, private library, joiken, trolocsis, Mathmathou, nik6425, ZzAzZ, jpbronco, Kahlila

This is my second time reading Hugh Howey. I started with Wool, which was just breathtaking. Sand is almost as good. I absolutely could not put this book down. It tells the story of a family and their struggles in a world covered with, well, sand. There are plenty of unexpected twists and wonderful characters, and it is an overall amazingly well-written story. Recommended for anyone who likes sci-fi, immersive fiction, or just darn good books. ( )
  samesfoley | Dec 26, 2018 |
Hugh Howey builds these worlds that fascinate me. This one, with the land covered by creeping desert, and people who make their living diving far beneath the sand to scavenge things from the old world, was no different. I'm basically in for anything Howey writes. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Four and a half rusted and sand-blasted stars. Mr. Howey is a talent, I absolutely loved Wool and part of the challenge is the expectations it created. The setting for Wool and now Sand is brutal and post-apocalyptic. Something happened . . . we don’t know what, nuclear war, extreme climate change . . . something happened. And what’s left is sand, lots of grit, gravel, and sand. So much that there is an entire lexicon around it, which Howey reveals throughout the novel. But, somehow, people are surviving. Sand focuses on a family that persists. They are broken and shattered. They toil all day to keep the wells open. They scavenge the dunes for treasures from the past. And they sand dive . . . I’ll stop there, you’ll have to read the novel if you’re intrigued.

Howey’s prose is wonderful. His characters are believable and interesting. He tells a great story, but also skillfully weaves in theme on a regular basis. For instant, “Conner wondered if dredging up the past was even a good idea. It was like being a sand diver in many ways. There were all these rusty hurts buried deep. . . “.

I largely enjoyed the story, but it’s so gritty and dark, just like Wool. I would like to see Howey, with all his talents, take on a brighter, more hopeful story. Yes, conflict and struggle make rich literary ground, but so little hope leaves the ground a bit too dry, a bit too grimy in my view. Maybe I need to read Beacon 23, not sure if that explores a bright future or not. In addition, I did think the ending was a bit abrupt.

Anyways, still a wonderful book. I could taste the grit in my mouth, feel the matte in my hair, and see the sift in the air. I’m a fan, and will keep picking up Howie’s future works. Strongly recommended, maybe just not if you need some positivity or if you’re the type that’s really annoyed by the beach . . . ( )
  Kevin_A_Kuhn | Jun 18, 2018 |
Shame this is ebook only or I'd one of my book clubs read it. Author's abilities keep improving from work to work. This has all sorts of ideas in it as well as some interesting characters. Wouldn't have minded a wider picture of the situation -- very constricted in geography and time -- but it kept my attention and whet my appetite for more. ( )
  abycats | May 11, 2018 |
The story drags a bit in the middle. Had a tough time staying emerged in the book . The concept is intriguing, and the setting is very interesting. I like the tech used a lot! The main characters are pretty good. ( )
  Chris.Johnson | Jan 29, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,112,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible