Paragon Walk by Anne Perry

Paragon Walk (original 1981; edition 1986)

by Anne Perry

Member:lahochstetler
Title:Paragon Walk
Authors:Anne Perry
Info:Fawcett (1986), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***

Paragon Walk by Anne Perry (1981)

English (11)  German (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (14)
Paragon Walk by Anne Perry is the third book in the Charlotte and Thomas Pitt historical mystery series. I enjoyed the first two books better than this one although it is still an entertaining read.

More social commentary and less mystery here but still well written and with a numerous cast of characters.

Like Book 2, Charlotte's sister Emily is showcased and the murders take place in her neighborhood.

The ending is exceptionally abrupt and I found it unsatisfying as there was no wrap up.

Once more, the last 20% of my Kindle version was comprised of a preview of the next book in the series. ( )
  Zumbanista | May 26, 2016 |
Having jumped into this series in the middle of the books, I decided to go back and read some of the earlier ones and it made me realize what I liked about the Charlotte and Thomas Pitt in the first place. This is the third book in the series and Charlotte and Thomas are still newly married with a baby daughter. A young woman from a ealthy area in London is found raped and murdered on the very stret tht Charlotte's sister, Emily, lives. Pitt, of course, has to investigate and in doing so we re introduced to wonderful Aunt Vespasia, who is wonderfully arch - much more so than she is in the later volumes. And Charlotte and Emily are a great duo as they snoop around trying to find out who the real culprit is. Anne Perry even allows Charlotte to be silly - something that definitely does not happen in the later books.

Reading these early efforts makes me wish that Pitt was still a policeman and that Charlotte was once again his trusty partner in detective work. It would make thte later books a lot more fun. ( )
  etxgardener | May 28, 2015 |
I am on a collision course and I cannot stop. I have read all the Monk and Christmas series by Anne Perry, and have started on the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt series. The Monk series remains my favorite collection. The Pitt series lacks the depth and character of the Monk series, even though both series feature the different classes of people. Perry continues in the Pitt series to show the hate and vengeance of females. Perry elegantly describes the fashion of the upper crust, but emotion hides in this elegance. ( )
  delphimo | Jan 28, 2015 |
Charlotte and Thomas Pitt are back investigating murder. This time a young woman has been raped and murdered in Paragon Walk, a fashionable London street that happens to be home to Charlotte's sister Emily. Charlotte and Emily decide to investigate. As Charlotte has married down and become a policeman's wife, Emily will have to dress Charlotte back up as the fashionable lady she once was.

This book seemed to be more social interaction and less crime-solving. Charlotte and Emily spend most of their time attending social functions and gossiping. It seems that Perry really wanted to spend more time commenting on social life and customs than to write a mystery. Undoubtedly the bitchy social interaction is amusing. It's a backstabbing, every woman for herself arena, where Victorian manners and their transgressions are on full display. Still, I really wanted more mystery. I hope Perry returns to more mystery in the next volume of the series. ( )
  lahochstetler | Jan 27, 2013 |
I liked this book even though it is more of a slice of life on an upper-crust Victorian street than a mystery. I like the characters and the relationship between sisters Emily who married up and Charlotte who married down. Perry keeps her "Why I hate Victorians" essays to a minimum { for Anne Perry.) But Charlotte spending the funeral of a murdered 17 year old rape victim fuming about the absurdity of Victorian mourning customs is totally cold-hearted. ( )
  BonnieJune54 | Apr 19, 2012 |

Anne Perryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Damiani, MaddalenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449211681, Mass Market Paperback)

"Perry has the great gift of making it all seem immediate and very much alive."
THE PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER
In the posh London street of Paragon Walk, a young woman is brutally raped and murdered. Once again the incomparable team of sleuths, Inspector Thomas Pitt and his young wife, Charlotte, peer beneath the elegant masks of the well-born suspects and reveal that something ugly lurks behind the handsome facades of Paragon Walk--something that could lead to more scandal, and more murder....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:48 -0400)

Once again, that incomparable team of sleuths Inspector Thomas Pitt and his young wife, Charlotte, set themselves against a vicious murderer. As More...the elegant masks of the wellborn suspects slip, it becomes appallingly clear that something ugly lurks behind the handsome fa?ades of Paragon Walk?something that may lead to more scandal, and more murder.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,495,747 books! | Top bar: Always visible