Pardonable Lies by Jacqueline Winspear

Pardonable Lies (2005)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Series: Maisie Dobbs (3)

I read the first two Maisie Dobbs books quite a few years ago, and I remember enjoying them much more than this third title. This time around I found Maisie to be sort of an uptight prig and not all that interesting as a character. I enjoyed the second half of the book much more than the first, and the only reason I might read the next book is because I did enjoy the setting and story. Winspear does an excellent job at setting a scene and bringing it to life in the reader's imagination, but I would like to see Maisie become more of an authentic person. ( )
  AlaMich | May 19, 2019 |
This is a very well written, enjoyable, and thoughtful series. I recommend it! ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
Maisie Dobbs is back, and her private investigation business is growing despite the difficult economy. She's also starting to spread her wings a bit, to operate a bit more independently of her mentor, Maurice Blanche.

Then Lord Julian Compton, whose family helped her get an education and start her business, asks her to take on a case for a friend. His son was a pilot killed in the First World War, but his body was not returned and his wife never believed in their son's death. On her deathbed, she made her husband promise to find him.

While Maisie is struggling a bit with whether she wants to go to France to investigate Rafe Lawton's death, and risk revisiting the scenes of her own traumatic experiences in the war, her friend Priscilla Partridge asks for her own investigation: find the place where her brother, Peter Evernden, died.

For Maisie, it's a journey through the dark heart of the war, compounded by a discovery about Maurice that leaves her feeling confused and betrayed. She's forced to confront her own feelings, as well as learning secrets the families involved might be happier not knowing.

It's another pretty good mystery, layered around an insightful look at Britain between the wars, and the slow, rich development of Maisie's character.

Recommended.

I borrowed this book from a friend. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
Plot holes you could drive that MG through. Preposterous coincidences. But somehow still enjoyable. ( )
  themulhern | Aug 26, 2018 |
I continue to enjoy this series, but this wasn't my favorite offering. There was a bit too much of the supernatural mentioned early on, which just didn't feel like it fit here. I was also unhappy about the deception that had been perpetrated on Masie. On the one hand, it was pretty predictable that the particular character involved was more then he seemed, but I really resented him on Masie's behalf. That being said, I still really enjoyed this book and look forward to the next one. ( )
  duchessjlh | Apr 24, 2018 |
Fans of Miss Marple and Precious Ramotswe are sure to embrace Maisie, a pitch-perfect blend of compassion and panache
added by khuggard | editBooklist

A thought-provoking series entry, the story contains revelations of secret missions, homosexuality, the lives of persons from all layers of society, and a winning heroine who is not perfect and is willing to learn from her mistakes
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal

Winspear writes seamlessly, enriching the whole with vivid details of English life on a variety of social levels.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly

Jacqueline Winspearprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bronswijk, Ineke vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaramillo, RaquelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Truly, to tell lies is not honorable;
but when the truth entails tremendous ruin,
to speak dishonorably is pardonable.

--Sophocles (c. 496-406 B.C.), Creusa
Pile the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo.
Shovel them under and let me work--
I am the grass; I cover all.
And pile them high at Gettysburg
And pile them high at Ypres and Verdun.
Shovel them under and let me work.
Two years, ten years, and passengers ask the conductor:
What place is this?
Where are we now?

I am the grass.
Let me work.

--Carl Sandburg (1878-1967), Grass
For Anne-Marie
With much love and gratitude
for our lifetime friendship.
The young policewoman stood in the corner of the room.

A new Maisie Dobbs novel from award-winning author Jacqueline Winspear

In the third novel of this unique and masterly crime series, a deathbed plea from his wife leads Sir Cecil Lawton, KC, to seek the aid of Maisie Dobbs, psychologist and investigator. As Maisie soon learns, Agnes Lawton never accepted that her aviator son was killed in the Great War, a torment that led her not only to the edge of madness but also to the doors of those who practice the dark arts and commune with the spirit world. Determined to prove Ralph Lawton either dead or alive, Maisie is plunged into a case that tests her spiritual strength, as well as her regard for her mentor, Maurice Blanche. The mission will bring her to France and reunite her with her old friend Priscilla Evernden, who lost three brothers in the war, one of whom has an intriguing connection to the case.

Set against a finely drawn portrait of life between the World Wars, Pardonable Lies is "a thrilling mystery that will enthrall fans of Jacqueline Winspear's heroine and likely win her new ones" (Detroit Free Press).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:00 -0400)

In 1930 London a deathbed plea from his wife leads Sir Cecil Lawton to seek the aid of Maisie Dobbs, psychologist and investigator. As Maisie soon learns, Agnes Lawton never accepted that her aviator son was killed in the Great War, a torment that led her not only to the edge of madness but to the doors of those who practice the dark arts and commune with the spirit world. In accepting the assignment, Maisie finds her spiritual strength tested, as well as her regard for her mentor, Maurice Blanche. The mission also brings her together once again with her college friend Priscilla Evernden, who served in France and who lost three brothers to the war -- none of whom, it turns out, had an intriguing connection to the missing Ralph Lawton. Following on the heels of the triumphant Birds of a Feather, Pardonable lies is the most compelling installment yet in the chronicles of Maisie Dobbs.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,898,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible