William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh…

William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back

by Ian Doescher

Other authors: George Lucas (Inspiration)

Series: William Shakespeare's Star Wars (Part the Fifth)

English (48)  Swedish (1)  All languages (49)
Being a fan of Star Wars, it was interesting to win a free copy of William Shakespeare’s The Empire Striketh Back from a Goodreads contest. Full of the action of the well known story, this book features an interesting tell of The Em[ire Strikes Back, full of backstage commentaries from characters that you get to read into to know feelings and reasonings behind actions such as R2D2, who is given a voice.Overall a fun read worthy of any Star Wars fan, yet beware that some actions scenes seem a bit rushed. ( )
  Preston.Kringle | Nov 23, 2018 |
Full disclosure: this book came to be via the GoodReads First Reads program

I have been ready to read this volume since I got my hands on the first one. So. Good. If you enjoy either Shakespeare or Star Wars, you will enjoy this volume. If you have the good taste to enjoy both, go get this book right now. You will thank me :) ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Excellent! Again! If you know Star Wars you know the highs and lows of this installment. But did you know that both Wampas and Space Slugs have lines too, and fortunes least fair to these before woely underrepresented species. (I personally can't wait to see what the Rancor monster and Sarlacc pit have to say about their upcoming maltreatments LOL!). Or that the little mischievous aliens of Cloud City sing a merry toon as they disable droids and prepare carbon freezing chambers (little umpa lumpas of the dark side they are).....I bet you did not.

All the fun and tragedy of the original is here again, along with the added bonus of creature asides, and both inner Star Wars fan and Shakespearean gems. I personally loved the addition of the cloud city workers commenting on the building schematics that include chasms in the center of buildings, and added greeters to the 'globe' theater brought to wonderful life in the audiobook version.

Personal note: my thoughts on Yoda were correct, and I loved how the author handles his lines while keeping them Yodaesque, his afterwards on the audio version were he talks about how he handles certain scenes and characters was very interesting and entertaining. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
I'm not sure why, but I enjoyed this book more than the first. (I enjoyed the first of the trilogy as well, but liked this one better.) One possible reason:

YODA SPEAKS IN HAIKU! This is perfect, and works so very well. I'm also glad that I realized this before reading it in the afterword. (It only took me a page or so of Yoda's interactions with Luke to put my finger on why Yoda still sounded different than the other characters.) ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Jan 26, 2018 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: The Empire Striketh Back Series: William Shakespeare's Star Wars Author: Ian Doescher Rating: of 5 Battle Axes Genre: SFF Minutes: 205 Format: Audio book Synopsis: The Star Wars Saga continues, but in addition to iambec pentameter, we also get haiku (5-7-5) and prose. Prose from Boba Fett. My Thoughts: My first audio book. I listened to this going to and from work and it worked very well. Since I already knew the story, it was easy to just listen and go with the flow. I have to say, this was a much BETTER version than just reading it. Shakespeare is meant to be on the stage and since Doescher copies it all, this is meant to be read aloud too. In regards to audio, I still don't think it is for me. I find it too easy to simply relegate what I am hearing as background noise and hence simply tune it out. After the next book in this trilogy, I'll probably look for some of Shakespeare's plays and simply listen to them as well. My commute is only about 20min, so that is a good amount of time for little chunks of audio. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

For Murray Biggs:

The Yoda to my Luke.

For Josh Hicks:

Sounding board and Jedi Knight
[Chorus] O, 'tis for the Rebellion a dark time.
[Exit, pursued by a wampa.]
[Luke] If flurries be the food of quests, snow on.
[Vader] I shall devise brave punishments...
[Admiral Piet, just after his field promotion] Alas, this promotion comes with some dread; for Vader hath no reverence for the head.
[Han, as C3PO is trying to warn about the non-functioning hyperdrive] I tell thee honestly, C3PO, that neither appetite nor inclination have I to feast upon your odd beliefs. Do thou thy work, but keep opinion out; An' we shall feast together on the silence.

Adding a bit of

iambic pentameter

gives tale gravitas.

(legallypuzzled)

A retelling of The Empire strikes back in iambic pentameter, the style of Shakespeare. Many a fortnight have passed since the destruction of the Death Star, and the evil Darth Vader has hatched a plan to capture the rebels. Will Lord Vader learn how sharper than a tauntaun's tooth it is to have a Jedi child?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ian Doescher's book William Shakespeare’s The Empire Striketh Back was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,080,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible