Peril at End House by Agatha Christie

Peril at End House (1932)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (8)

A Murder Is Announced by Agatha Christie (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The twists involved in both stories are kind of parallel.

I would give this book 3 1/2 stars. The who-done-it was clever enough although I think I've kinda come to expect something like this after reading so many Christie novels. And after reading Lord Edgware Dies not too long ago, the solutions are similar. Otherwise, I might have given it a four star rating. Always find Christie's book enjoyable. Great when I just want an easy light read or when I'm in-between other books. ( )
  Catsysta | Aug 5, 2018 |
I've read this book many times and enjoyed it every time. ( )
  dh-writer | May 26, 2018 |
Hercule Poirot and Captain Hastings are on holiday in Cornwall, where they soon find danger: a young woman, called Nick Buckley, has had no less than three close brushes with death in as many days. These mishaps *could* be coincidental, perhaps, but M. Poirot doesn’t think so and he is determined to protect the young woman while he investigates. But soon more deadly events occur…. Agatha Christie is, of course, one of the best-known writers ever; “Peril at End House” was published in 1931, so it displays all the class divisions and sensibilities that one would expect of England at that time. Even though I read a lot of mysteries, including many of Ms. Christie’s, the twist at the very end came as a complete surprise to me, thus proving once again that she is indeed the Queen of Mystery Writers. Lovely. ( )
  thefirstalicat | Apr 17, 2018 |
I thoroughly enjoyed Peril At End House by Agatha Christie. This story features Hercule Poirot and his long suffering friend, Hastings, as they get involved with a young woman whose life has been threatened on numerous occasions. Things take a serious turn when, in a case of mistaken identity, the young lady’s cousin is shot dead. Poirot in his egotistic, bombastic manner puts all the pieces together and solves the mystery.

What struck me as most interesting is the reference Hastings makes to a failed case of Poirot’s. A case involving a box of chocolates. In fact, whenever Hastings wants to warn Poirot that he is getting too high-handed, he just has to say the words “Chocolate Box” to draw him in. I wonder if this is Christie’s tongue-in-cheek reference to Anthony Berkeley’s book, The Case of the Poisoned Chocolates, which was published just two years before Peril at End House.

While Peril At End House isn’t the finest of Christie’s mysteries, it was an entertaining read. Technically this was a re-read as I had originally enjoyed the book in the 1970’s but I literally had no memory of the story. I enjoyed revisiting her fussy, little detective and the rest of the inventive characters she has peopled this book with and I freely admit that she totally baffled me again. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Nov 12, 2017 |
3.5/5 stars

While on holiday famous detective, Hercule Poirot, meets a young woman whose life has been in danger and has escaped death on several different occasions, including directly in front of Poirot. Wanting to protect this girl from a fatal event, Poirot examines the evidence and psychology in order to solve the case.

Mystery novels are not my go-to for reading. However, Agatha Christie's writing is interesting and keeps the reader's attention. I definitely did not expect that ending, which to me is the sign of a great mystery. I liked this novel a bit less because it was slower in the beginning and didn't grab me as fast as other Christie novels. ( )
  beckakw | Aug 8, 2017 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

To
Eden Philpotts
To whom I shall always be grateful for his
friendship and the encouragement he gave me many years ago.
No seaside town in the south of England is, I think, as attractive as St. Loo.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425130258, Mass Market Paperback)

Pit Poirot against peril and you get perfection.

Someone is stalking the lady of End House. She claims her only friend is a ghost. Hercule Poirot has his more earthbound theories of what's happening.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:18 -0400)

Nick Buckley was an unusual name for a pretty young woman. But then she had led an unusual life. First, on a treacherous Cornish hillside, the brakes on her car failed. Then, on a coastal path, a falling boulder missed her by inches. Later, an oil painting fell and almost crushed her in her bed. Upon discovering a bullet-hole in Nick's sun hat, Hercules Poirot decides the girl needs his protection. At the same time, he begins to unravel the mystery of a murder that hasn't been committed. Yet.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,970,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible